Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wayman Tisdale

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Re: Wayman Tisdale

Greatest college player I ever saw play. An amazing man both on and off the court. Our loss is Heaven's gain and I know my dad is welcoming him in now and remembering the glory days.
    ...Never again will you be haughty on my holy hill.
    Zeph 3:11

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Mjcpr's Avatar
    vCash

Reaction To Wayman Tisdale's Death
    OKLAHOMA CITY, OK -- Notables from around Oklahoma have issued statements concerning the passing of Wayman Tisdale.
    Governor Brad Henry:
    "Oklahoma has lost one of its most beloved sons. Wayman Tisdale was a hero both on and off the basketball court. Wayman played at OU during the time I attended school there, and I had the privilege of seeing a true champion in action. He was an incredible athlete and competitor.
    "Off the court, he was an equally gifted musician and a tremendous ambassador for our state. I had the pleasure of appointing Wayman to serve on the state Tourism Commission, and it was one of the best appointments I have made as governor.
    "In his two-year battle with cancer, Wayman demonstrated courage, faith and true strength of character. Even in the most challenging of times, he had a smile for people, and he had the rare ability to make everyone around him smile. He was one of the most inspirational people I have ever known.
    "Wayman Tisdale was a man of extraordinary talents and an extraordinary heart, and he will be deeply missed. Kim and I have Wayman's wife, children and family in our thoughts and prayers."
    ---
    Jeff Capel, Oklahoma men's basketball head coach:
    "Wayman Tisdale is one of the best people I have ever had the privilege of knowing. He had an incredible gift of making the people who came in contact with him feel incredibly special. His basketball talent and accomplishments pale in comparison to the impact he had on the lives that he influenced by the way he lived his life, and the tremendous character he displayed in his fight with cancer. Throughout it all, he always had that infectious smile. This is an incredibly sad day as we have lost not only one of the greatest Sooners ever, but one of the all-time best people to walk the face of this earth."
    ---
    Billy Tubbs, former OU basketball coach:
    "Wayman, through this fight of his, was the most courageous person that I've ever seen. He was so positive he almost made you feel he was okay when you knew he wasn't. It's a shock. I don't know of any athlete at Oklahoma or any place else who was more loved by the fans who knew him than Wayman Tisdale. He was obviously, a great, great player, but Wayman as a person overshadowed that. He just lit up a room and was so positive. This is a really hard loss and makes any loss in basketball or any other sport insignificant. He was a great human being. I'll miss everything about him."
    ---
    Darryl "Choo" Kennedy, OU forward (1984-87):
    "He was my man. I played with him pretty much all my life, going back to AAU. He was the reason I wanted to go to OU. I wanted to play with one of the greatest players to ever come out of Oklahoma. He was a great person. He was always positive, he never let the negative bring us down as a unit. He always smiled and kept us together. I'll miss him. He was one of my brothers."
    ---
    Blake Griffin, OU forward (2008-09):
    "This is obviously a sad day, not just for Sooner fans but for anybody who knows Wayman, knows the kind of person he is, the joy he brings into people's lives and the example he is to everybody. I was privileged to get to know him over the two years I was at OU. I spoke with him pretty frequently this past season and he helped me in ways he probably doesn't even know. He's touched so many lives. I'm just happy he's going to a better place."
    ---
    David L. Boren, University of Oklahoma President:
    "Wayman Tisdale was not only a great athlete and musician, he was above all a great person. He constantly demonstrated his care and concern for others and was a worthy role model for all of us young and old. The University of Oklahoma will always be proud of his association with the university."
    ---
    John Holcomb, News On 6 sports director:
    "I can't say I was a good friend of Wayman Tisdale, even though like many Oklahomans I felt that way. It's easy to think in those terms about someone who seemed so warm, so personable, so happy. His basketball ability is what made us take notice. His personality is what drew us in.
    Wayman's style of play was a mix of power and grace. The college game had just experienced Magic Johnson and Larry Bird, but the OU freshman out of Booker T brought something new. Once he got into position down low, defenders had no chance. His left-handed turnaround with that soft touch was unstoppable.
    During his three All-American years with the Sooners, three things stick out in my memory. The game with Georgia Tech, led by Mark Price, that the Sooners won in Norman, punctuated by a Tisdale dunk. The game with Tulsa at the Convention Center, a goal-tending call on a shot by Wayman and the subsequent finger-pointing, and Billy Tubbs' vow never to return. And Wayman's game-winner in the NCAA's to beat Karl Malone and Louisiana Tech (and the radio call by John Brooks).
    As spectacular as his time in Norman was, Wayman's NBA journey was probably underappreciated. He did end up averaging more than 15 points per game for his career, mostly on below-average teams.
    Wayman had plenty of star power, yet he was just fine letting others take center stage. Most may not remember that while Michael Jordan and others took the headlines during the 1984 Olympics, Wayman was Team USA's leading rebounder on that gold medal-winning squad.
    That trait translated after his playing days to his music. An award-winning bassist, plenty good enough to take over, but willing to establish the foundation for others to succeed.
    When I think of Wayman, I'll remember a big, approachable bear of a man, with that smile. That engaging smile, probably the only thing that outsized his musical talent or what he accomplished on the court.
    Thank you Wayman, for making so many of us smile along with you."

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sooner95's Avatar
    vCash

Great memories peeps... he will be missed. Really rescued OU basketball from obscurity, put it back on the map. Alot of athletes and coaches owe him a dept for that. He was successful in the NBA and a hell of a musician as well.

He will be missed, but not forgotten. May he rest in peace now.

Also, I think it's a good time to retire that number 23, not for Blake, but for Wayman.
    ========================================
    Bleeding Sooner Red on the East Coast since 2000.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GrapevineSooner's Avatar
    vCash

A very large part of my sports youth died today.

RIP, Wayman.

Basketball player, accomplished musician, and just one helluva human being
    Just imagine there's a really obnoxious graphical sig here

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post
    I saw Blake Griffin go for 40 and 23 against *Texas* Tech in Norman. As we left the arena I heard all these people talking about how they'd just witnessed the greatest performance in Sooner history. I smiled, but I didn't nod. I let them have their thoughts, but I knew better.

Why? Because I'd seen better. I saw Wayman Tisdale.
    yeah, i watched price go for 56 against loyola and i didn't even say that. of course, the off the glass 3 ball, falling out of bounds in the deep corner was one of the most ridiculous shots in LN history.

Ready for Baseball Season tulsaoilerfan's Avatar
    vCash

RIP Wayman; i feel like a part of me has died today

Sooner Benchwarmer Mile High Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

It just sucks...
    GO GO & A BOOMER ! !

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

He was the best not just on the court but off of it as well. Some of my greatest basketball memories were of him and he will truly be missed.

RIP W.W.T - Wonderful Wayman Tisdale - #23 will never be forgotten.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member AlbqSooner's Avatar
    vCash

I have watched a lot of basketball in my years. Wayman was a great player. There are many other great players, some of whom I had the pleasure of watching in person. The thing that really stands out in my mind is that Wayman, WITHOUT QUESTION, enjoyed playing the game more than anyone I have seen and was quick to share that joy with his teammates and fans. As you read through the many articles and postings about Wayman, take a moment to reflect on how many of them mention, "that smile".

A very good human being. Gone but far from forgotten.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with ketchup.

vCash

Gone but never forgotten.

What's been very cool is hearing and seeing the reaction from all over the country. Wayman was one of the rare ones that was a better person than player or musician. And he was hella good at both. A very rare man indeed.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerus's Avatar
    vCash

Geez, not Wayman !!!!

Ready for Baseball Season tulsaoilerfan's Avatar
    vCash

The best basketball player this state ever produced; i don't see anyone topping what he did while at OU

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I was getting into my car after my mother's funeral this morning. Hearing the newscast on the radio made a very sad day even more gloomy. Wayman's great faith was the same as my dear mother's. God bless them both.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner24's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by wishbonesooner View Post
    I was getting into my car after my mother's funeral this morning. Hearing the newscast on the radio made a very sad day even more gloomy. Wayman's great faith was the same as my dear mother's. God bless them both.
    Sorry to hear about the lose of your mom.
    Sooner Legends Inn & Suites

Voted #1 Hotel in Norman, OK - 2009
    Voted #2 Overall Restaurant in Norman, OK - 2009
    Voted #1 Catering in Norman, OK - 2009

1 Corinthians 1:18---For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

As long as WT remains in our hearts and minds he lives on.
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member

Soonerfans.com Elitist sooneron's Avatar
    vCash

Man, I loved to watch him play and even loved it more to see his smile. I got meet him once and when they say he lit up a room, they were wrong. He WAS the room!

RIP Wayman. I'll always remember you.
    Oh sweet jesus. Its like watching the special olympics in high definition on here now.
    Soonerinabilene

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I wonder if OU is going to do anything to remember him. Dedicate part of Loyd Noble to him or something. He was too good an ambassador of the state and human being not to have his memory immortalized on campus.

http://www.dcsooners.com/newsite/

"You've got vomit on yourself...."

Hays County Police Officer to D.J. Monroe

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 BillyBall's Avatar
    vCash

Way too ****ing young...
    Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    I'm not a big lover of diversity..

Brewmaster

vCash

Consider this one stuck.

Dang.
    ... that's not food.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Instead of dedicating part of Lloyd Noble why not re-name the arena for him. He is the reason OU basketball is on the map. I would love to see a game in Wayman Tisdale areana, guess I could settle for seeing a game on Wayman Tisdale Court.