Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member TUSooner's Avatar
    Inside your monitor. Hit it with a hammer to release me and get 3 wishes.
    vCash

What advice do you give?

This ought to be a poll, I guess, but I never figured out how to set one up. But I digress. Here's the situation: You have a child who is about a year from college, and who is pretty smart in many areas of knowledge but inclined toward, say, art or music or theater or writing or "that sort of thing." Do you say:

1. Go with what you love. If you love it enough to devote yourself to it, you'll succeed, and besides, if "working" at the thing you love doesn't seem like work, it's like never having to work and you're better off than most people anyway.

2. Go for the money (accounting, finance, law, whatever) even if you don't really like it. Money brings security, and if you make enough, you'll probably be able to create enough time to do the things you love "on the side."

Of course, if you love being an accountant or an engineer, no problem!

Let the shenanigans ensue.
    You tell me it's the institution. Well, you know, you'd better free your mind instead.
    (Shoo-bee doo-wah)

vCash

Re: What advice do you give?

You have to love what you do. Even if you are in a much higher paying job that you hate, it is not worth it.

vCash

Both....then let her choose.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member sooner_born_1960's Avatar
    vCash

If this hypothetical person likes stuff like food, insurance, transportation, and clothing, the answer is obvious.

vCash

Tell them to get a business degree. They can do their love on the side, and hopefully someday use the degree to capitalize on what they love to do.
    Happiness is found at the bottom of a glass of crown and coke.

vCash

You've got to like what you do.

vCash

If they can make a decent living doing what they LOVE , then go for it
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

You have a child ... inclined toward, say, art or music or theater or writing or "that sort of thing."
    Understand that there is money to be made in these fields, just as there is in business or accounting, etc.

If there are any degrees to avoid like the plague it would be ones that end in a question/exclamation mark, as in "What do I do with this degree?!" With a music education/performance degree, there's no question (you teach or perform music!). With a professional writing degree, no question (you write!). With a meteorology degree, no question (you study meteors! wait...)

No knocks on the A&S college, but a lot of their majors have huge question/exclamation mark combos.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Do what they love, but make sure they will be able to get a job with it.

If the your kid is an artist, I would highly recommend graphic design. Some graphic designers, although starting out low, can end up making 70K-100K within 10 years of their career.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerJack's Avatar
    vCash

but artists usually do not appreciate (tolerate?) some of the drudgery involved in graphic design.

But TU brings up a great question, and it falls under one of my categories of parental no-no's. We don't get to pick who they marry. We don't get to pick where they live. And we don't get to pick what they do for a living.

Unless you are my dentist: his son "knew" he was going to be a oro-maxillo-facillo-surgeon since pre-school. ;-)
    I gots ta get me a signature.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member BudSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TUSooner View Post
    This ought to be a poll, I guess, but I never figured out how to set one up. But I digress. Here's the situation: You have a child who is about a year from college, and who is pretty smart in many areas of knowledge but inclined toward, say, art or music or theater or writing or "that sort of thing." Do you say:

1. Go with what you love. If you love it enough to devote yourself to it, you'll succeed, and besides, if "working" at the thing you love doesn't seem like work, it's like never having to work and you're better off than most people anyway.

2. Go for the money (accounting, finance, law, whatever) even if you don't really like it. Money brings security, and if you make enough, you'll probably be able to create enough time to do the things you love "on the side."

Of course, if you love being an accountant or an engineer, no problem!

Let the shenanigans ensue.
    1. Easily, you already said it yourself, if you love what you do then there area things that can be done to improve upon the type of work you enjoy...that way it doesn't become a overbearing drudgery sort of thing.
    Make it a fun part of your life, it's too short as it is.

2. While going for the money sounds good, it only will lead to getting old and bitter. I:E:see Dean.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerJack View Post
    But TU brings up a great question, and it falls under one of my categories of parental no-no's. We don't get to pick who they marry. We don't get to pick where they live. And we don't get to pick what they do for a living.
    But hey, you do get to pick how you spend the money you personally earned, so if you disapprove of who they marry, then you don't have to contribute anything to the wedding (including your attendance). If your kid wants to live at home and not follow your rules, you can kick them out after they turn 18... and as far as what they do for a living, perhaps you can really test them on it, if you feel strongly enough on the issue.

If you are of the opinion that college should only be a means to a high paying, lucrative career, only offer to contribute to college funds if they choose certain degrees. If they insist on following their own ideas for their education without regard for your input, don't contribute your own money to the education efforts.

I'm not saying I agree with any of the above sentiments - I don't think I could ever kick a family member out of a house in a time of need, or not show up to their wedding, or not contribute to education if I could afford it - but those are definitely options for parents.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TUSooner's Avatar
    Inside your monitor. Hit it with a hammer to release me and get 3 wishes.
    vCash

It's most definitely not a question of MY picking anything.
    But sometimes kids actually want some help deciding.... even if they only want to know what you think so they can do the opposite.
    You tell me it's the institution. Well, you know, you'd better free your mind instead.
    (Shoo-bee doo-wah)

I wouldn't worry too much about it. They will get in to college and figure things out from there. If they need an answer today I would suggest a double major or to go with what they love but take pre-requisites for what they might do as electives. They will probably change majors at somepoint along the way. Good luck and congrats on having a child actually make it to college (not as common as it should be).

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 NYC Poke's Avatar
    vCash

If the child is talented enough to get into one of the elite schools in the field, like Juliard or Berkeley for music or Rhode Island School of Design for visual arts, I'd encourage the child to continue in that field.

If not, I would encourage the child to get a double major and attempt to work in the industry surrounded whatever field the child is interested. For instance, theater may sound like a joke major, but the theater industry here is big and I know several people who do very well working in it (old timers in the stagehands unions probably make more than I do).

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Collier11's Avatar
    vCash

Do what makes her happy, once she gets to college she will likely change her mind 5 or 6 times anyway, I certainly did
    Ranger Reese of OVJ country, Patrollin tha hood.

I Survived Drunkytown with OleVet and all I got was this rash!

With a record of 109-23 (.826) and six Big 12 championships in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
    ~ Ivan Maisel

http://sportslife11.blogspot.com/

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 LilSooner's Avatar
    vCash

All pretty good responses. My only advice would be to sit down and talk money with them. Going to 100,000 dollar school to get a degree that is only going to get you a job paying 30,000= dumb. If they want to do what they love and it just so happens to be something that isn't going to equate a huge paycheck for the love of god don't let them rack up huge student loan debt.
    "Yea, and the shins of the wicked were smote."-Lil 22:18

and behold I looked in the sky, and saw a rider on a pale horse, the rider's name was death, and Lil Sooner followed after,....Revalations

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonermix's Avatar
    vCash

two words... Double Major
    < this space reserved for something clever >

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SanJoaquinSooner's Avatar
    vCash

what you love.
    Ingles solamente (¡no exepciones!)

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

I would tell them to get information on what he/she "loves"...get to know people in that industry, find out how they got where they are at, learn about expenses, schools, what opportunities exist, don't exist...
    Bazinga