Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Actual parental diatribe overheard today

First, let me make it clear I have no problem with spanking a child when deserved. However, this particular piece of parenting left me in stitches...

"We don't hit people."
    "We don't hit people."
    "Do you want me to give you a spanking?"
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member XingTheRubicon's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Actual parental diatribe overheard today

I do that all the time...and yes, I feel that what the he11 am I saying as I contradict myself.

....and now please direct your attention to the field and J. Clayton Feaver will lead us in a moment of prayer...

"......please protect these young men from injury and for one and all to exhibit good sportsmanship.....IN JESUS NAME WE PRAY AMEN

-J Clayton Feaver

Enjoy

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Well, at least you recognize it.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member sooner_born_1960's Avatar
    vCash

Stupid parent. Should have worded it; "You don't hit people."
    Last edited by sooner_born_1960; 4/16/2009 at 07:28 AM.

vCash

I don't see spanking and hitting as the same thing (although I see your point).
    Honestly, I don't recall if I've ever spanked my kids or not.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Harry Beanbag's Avatar
    vCash

We'll see what Mike has to say when he has kids.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

That is a frightening thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 47straight's Avatar
    vCash

Why do we imprison people to teach them that false imprisonment is wrong?
    “Some people who attend the University of Oklahoma seem to represent different values than some people who attend the University of Texas.” -- Mr. J. Mcfarland

"[Christian Scott]'s off the team the day of the incident and I guarantee you he won't be back." -- Typical Dallas horn fan

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OUDoc View Post
    I don't see spanking and hitting as the same thing (although I see your point).
    Honestly, I don't recall if I've ever spanked my kids or not.
    Are you really old, or have you been taking some of those amnesiac drugs you guys prescribe? How can you not remember if you've ever spanked your kids or not?

I don't remember every spanking, but I do remember a few that made me feel terrible afterward. Of course when the kid came and nuzzled up on my lap 10 minutes later and fell asleep with his arms around my neck it took away most of the terrible.

The problem with Froze's scenario is that it should have went "stop it, now." The next time the kid did it, bam.

Parents spend entirely too much time warning their kids, negotiating with their kids, threatening their kids, waffleing and cowtowing to their kids, etc. You do not negotiate with terrorists, and make no mistake about it, kids are just little mini-terrorists. Selfish, close-minded, mean, simple, all about me little thugs.

vCash

I am pretty sure my kids aren't "all about Dean" little thugs.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sooner_born_1960 View Post
    I am pretty sure my kids aren't "all about Dean" little thugs.
    If they knew me they would be. To know me is to love me...

vCash

That's the word around town.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean View Post
    Are you really old, or have you been taking some of those amnesiac drugs you guys prescribe? How can you not remember if you've ever spanked your kids or not?
    I'm 41. Yes, I'm really old.
    I meant that I don't think I've ever had to spank my kids, but I'm not against it.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OUDoc View Post
    I'm 41. Yes, I'm really old.
    I meant that I don't think I've ever had to spank my kids, but I'm not against it.
    41? You're a pup.

I spanked the older 2 boys, but the younger 3 haven't ever needed it. Funny how kids knowing that when there are actual consequences for their bad behavior they magically do the right thing. The younger ones pretty much went "I don't want none of that ****" for sure.

I took a ton of beatings (many that by today's standards my dad would be jailed for child abuse) and my younger brother might have gotten the belt once or twice in his life. Why? Cause my brother knew dad wasn't ****ing around when he said "you better not let me catch you boy."

I get nauseated in the grocery stores these days when screaming kids are telling their fat mommas to shut up, hitting them, demanding candy and crap, and the fat momma is just "stop it jonny, stop it jonny, mommy is not going to get you any candy if you don't stop it jonny, you're embarrassing mommy jonny...." Meh.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member crawfish's Avatar
    vCash

There are two classes of people who know how to parent best: those that have never had any kids, and those who had kids but are too old to remember when they were young. The rest of us are complete idiots who are lucky that our kids live to adulthood, much less become responsible adults.

Example, me at 22, sneering at the neighbor kids: "When I have kids they won't run around outside in nothing but a diaper".

Reality, me at 30 with two young kids: they are both running around, buck naked, in the back yard, and I'm just happy to have a few moments of quiet.

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Some of you people really need to unclench.

It was a funny combination of words to me. Thought I'd share it and some of you would get a chuckle. Nobody said you were a bad parent if you spanked your child-and in fact I even prefaced the post with that just to make sure nobody thought they were being attacked.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

Froz, your attitude towards child discipline insults and enrages me.
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by NormanPride View Post
    Froz, your attitude towards child discipline insults and enrages me.
    Our youngin's get the choke chains around their neck yanked at the first sign of trouble

Their older brother gets tossed several feet if he steps outta line.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member crawfish's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Sooner View Post
    Some of you people really need to unclench.

It was a funny combination of words to me. Thought I'd share it and some of you would get a chuckle. Nobody said you were a bad parent if you spanked your child-and in fact I even prefaced the post with that just to make sure nobody thought they were being attacked.

I don't feel attacked, but I do want to point out that Bill Cosby was absolutely right when he says that kids make you brain-damaged. You tend to say things that make you seem like a babbling idiot. I still can't believe these words ever came out of my mouth: "Matthew, stop putting cheese on your brother's head!"

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 NYC Poke's Avatar
    vCash

No fighting in the War Room!