Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

The Oklahoma State Legislature - Keeping You Safe From Evolution

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/artic...1_Statel165138

Dispute evolves on OU speech by scientist
    The controversy brings in paperwork and resolutions by state lawmakers.

By SHANNON MUCHMORE World Staff Writer
    Published: 3/30/2009 2:21 AM
    Last Modified: 3/30/2009 3:28 AM

State lawmakers hit the University of Oklahoma with a barrage of paperwork earlier this month, crafting resolutions to condemn the school for inviting a noted evolutionary biologist and requesting reams of information about his visit.

In response, OU President David Boren said recently that colleges and universities should be a free marketplace of ideas, and it is inappropriate for legislators to attempt to restrict speech on campuses.

The resolution, which the House didn't have time to put up for a vote, chastised OU for inviting scientist and Oxford professor Richard Dawkins to speak earlier this month as part of the university's celebration of Charles Darwin's 200th birthday.

Rep. Rebecca Hamilton, D-Oklahoma City, filed a lengthy open records request with the university, asking for any correspondence regarding Dawkins' speech, information on any costs to OU, a list of any money Dawkins received and who provided the funds, and any other "pertinent financial information."

Dawkins waived his speaking fees for the event, a university spokeswoman said. Hamilton could not be reached for comment Thursday or Friday.

Boren said free speech on campus should be paramount.

"I can remember debating these issues when I was in the Legislature and I'm proud to stay I always stood on the side of academic freedom in those discussions," Boren said in an interview last week.

Legislators should not be limited in what kind of resolution they can file, but they should be mindful
    of free speech issues, Boren said.

"I have great faith in the ability of our students to make their own sound judgments about what they hear," he said.

State Rep. Todd Thomsen, R-Ada, filed a resolution this session opposing Dawkins' invitation to speak at OU and the university's actions "to indoctrinate students in the theory of evolution."

In a phone interview Thursday, Thomsen said the university has a right to bring any speaker it chooses, but is accountable to taxpayers. On behalf of his constituents, Thomsen wanted to present the opinion that Dawkins doesn't represent Oklahoma's ideals.

"They're not in a plastic bubble that can't be touched," he said.

Dawkins' approach doesn't present freedom of thought and opinion, Thomsen said.

"His presence at OU was not about science," he said. "It was to promote an atheistic agenda, and that was very clear."

Richard Broughton, an OU zoology professor and president of Oklahomans for Excellence in Science Education, said the resolution claimed to support a free exchange of ideas on campuses, but actually aimed to restrict freedom of speech.

"It just seemed self-contradictory," he said.

The speech by Dawkins, who decided on the spot to donate $5,000 from his foundation to OESE, was well received by those who attended, he said.

Dawkins likely attracted particular attention because of his outspoken atheism, not just his ideas about evolution, Broughton said.

Dawkins is the author of the best-seller "The God Delusion."

Regardless of whether the majority of Oklahomans believe in evolution, it is a scientific theory that no evidence contradicts, Broughton said.

OESE is a nonprofit organization that supports the teaching of evolution in public schools.

It seems inappropriate for the Legislature to single out one person and try to blacklist them, Broughton said.

"It just seems antithetical to the whole idea of a university," he said.

Dawkins commented on the resolution filed against him when he began his March 6 speech at OU.

The idea that the university could only hear opinions with which the majority of Oklahomans agree is bizarre and offensive, Dawkins said.

"If that principle is accepted, you can kiss goodbye to anything that a university ever stands for," he said. "What's a university for if it only reinforces opinions students already have? As it happens, evolution is a scientific fact as securely established as any fact known in science."

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerAtKU's Avatar
    vCash

Re: The Oklahoma State Legislature - Keeping You Safe From Evolution

Why the hell do people from Oklahoma have to make me feel ashamed to be from Oklahoma sometimes?

vCash

On behalf of your neighbors to North, thank you...we are tired of being crazies
    This Space for Rent...Call 1-800-5BI-TEME

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OhU1's Avatar
    vCash

What an embarrassment. I like it when the legislature is out of session. It's things such as this that make it more difficult to dispel stereotypes of Oklahomans as uneducated and backward. My avatar is even embarrased.
    "Democracy without respect for individual rights sucks. It's just ganging up against the weird kid, and I'm always the weird kid.."
    Penn Jillette

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerAtKU's Avatar
    vCash

No kidding, when a group of morons makes an institution of higher learning look like Westboro Baptist, we should all be ashamed.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

"They're not in a plastic bubble that can't be touched," he said.
    Yes, it is. The reason why OU can't be touched is we don't want the rest of the state infecting it with it's crazy. If the state pushes the students, Boren and faculty, the state will lose.
    Boomer Sooner

Brewmaster

vCash

... that's not food.

Brewmaster

vCash

... that's not food.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 1890MilesToNorman's Avatar
    vCash

The University should be allowed to invite anyone to speak to the student body they want! I don't buy the evolution theory myself but the kids should hear all sides. I hope they invite others to speak that have out of the box theories that are shunned by mainstream gov grant grabbers. Teach them to think, not to sensor ideas.
    God, how I hate the 21st century.

OleVet Posse - dung slinger
    Free Booze and Spam . What else could a Man want?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KABOOKIE's Avatar
    vCash

Regardless of whether the majority of Oklahomans believe in evolution, it is a scientific theory that no evidence contradicts, Broughton said.
    Umm really?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 1890MilesToNorman's Avatar
    vCash

I forgot to add that the Oklahoma legislature doesn't hold a candle to the dumb****s in the Northeast!!
    God, how I hate the 21st century.

OleVet Posse - dung slinger
    Free Booze and Spam . What else could a Man want?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OKLA21FAN's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KABOOKIE View Post
    Umm really?
    Yeah, pretty much.

Do you have any evidence that disproves it?

I'd be really interested to read this probably-religious-based information if you could be so kind as to enlighten us with it.
    "Her name Bubbles."

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KABOOKIE View Post
    Umm really?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OKLA21FAN's Avatar
    vCash

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 47straight's Avatar
    vCash

Nice spin on the title of this thread. While the University absolutely should be a place where ideas are discussed freely without interference from the legistlature, the lege didn't get involved because an evolutionary biologist was invited to speak. I have a feeling numerous evolutionary biologists speak on campus three times each and every week as part of the classes they teach. They felt compelled because a hateful, bigoted evangelist for atheism was invited to campus to speak.

I can't see where there's really a difference between this and when Columbia invited Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to speak. The school isn't conferring any honors. Yeah, the speaker is a little distasteful and a jerk. Locals can decry him. But discourse is part of what the school exists for.
    “Some people who attend the University of Oklahoma seem to represent different values than some people who attend the University of Texas.” -- Mr. J. Mcfarland

"[Christian Scott]'s off the team the day of the incident and I guarantee you he won't be back." -- Typical Dallas horn fan

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sitzpinkler View Post
    Yeah, pretty much.

Do you have any evidence that disproves it?

I'd be really interested to read this probably-religious-based information if you could be so kind as to enlighten us with it.
    No. This is just from what I learned at OU. A finch is still a finch.

vCash

Like the article said, I like to think the students can make their own thought processes given the information provided. Don’t get me wrong though, I think what the state legislature is doing is plain stupid. Just about as plain stupid as someone who believes evolution is a proven fact or those who don’t believe it to be a proven fact do so because they’re wrapped around the religious axle.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 NYC Poke's Avatar
    vCash

I didn't used to believe in evolution but my opinion evolved.