Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Anyone else have a flashback to 1999 at the end of the Mizzou-Marquette game?

Or am I misremembering Jason Terry pulling the exact same dumbass stunt?
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

Re: Anyone else have a flashback to 1999 at the end of the Mizzou-Marquette game?

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Sooner View Post
    Or am I misremembering Jason Terry pulling the exact same dumbass stunt?

Right game, wrong Wildcat (but, that was 10 years ago). It was Michael Wright.

Folks in Albuquerque celebrated that OU win over Arizona almost as much as OU fans did, because of how Arizona whined about losing to UNM in the Pit earlier in the season. It also marked one of many UofA losses in the NCAA to teams with a seed in the teens.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TopDawg's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Anyone else have a flashback to 1999 at the end of the Mizzou-Marquette game?

Terry was the one who missed the last second shot that would've won it.

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

My bad. Coulda sworn it was Jason Terry that stepped on the line.

Plus, nobody on Missouri touched the ball in the cylinder this year.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

vCash

That was a crazy game indeed. I was lucky enough to be TD at that one.

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TopDawg View Post
    That was a crazy game indeed. I was lucky enough to be TD at that one.
    I remember listening to the game on the radio-I was working at the Norwest Financial home office at the time, so the radio had to be right against the window.

Anyhow, mainly because of that game (and the win over Charlotte, right?) I ended up taking 2nd in the company pool. Something like 150 participants.

Also, that run to the Sweet 16 prompted Kelvin's best-ever interview. Right in the middle, you can distincly hear a flush. Dude was taking a leak while answering questions from the media.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TopDawg View Post
    Terry was the one who missed the last second shot that would've won it.
    not with Alex Spaulding up in his stuff, he wasn't going to make it.
    “someone's controlling the vibes!"--apache dropout

vCash

Yeah, Alex did a great job on him that game. He also had a really good game against UNC-Charlotte and Michigan State. He started to come into his own late in that season...then transfered.

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

I thought he either quit or got kicked off the team.

vCash

I thought he either quit or got kicked off the team.
    i was being a little sarcastic about Alex, but he did hold NBA player Jason Terry to 12 or 14 points or something. he hit some big 3's for us too.

my recollect is that he quit the team and joined the Army, ?

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

There were quite a few players in that span of OU history who just didn't work out the way they were supposed to. They all contributed, but they just didn't seem to ever put things together. Like Kelly Newton. That guy was supposed to be a long-range gunner like nobody'd ever seen. He'd get hot every now and then, but what'd he finish his career behind the arc? 40%?

vCash

Maybe that's what it was. Didn't he quit and then rejoin the team right before the season too?

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

That's what I was thinking-that he had actually been kicked off the team before the season and worked his way back on.

I remember when he was recruited he had scored some ridiculous amount of points in high school in North Carolina.

Should have figured somethign was up when a guy who's a hoop legend in NC doesn't wind up on Tobbacco Road.

vCash

If I remember right, Newton was actually a slasher...maybe Corey Brewerish...but he 'sploded his knee at Midnight Madness in his first year and had to become more of a spot-up shooter.

Kelly was easily the nicest player I ever met while I was with the team...and that's saying a lot, cuz Hollis was a great guy too. Kelly even remembered me years later when I ran into him in Norman. That was maybe 2 years ago and he had a business in Norman and was coaching some youth league teams. Great guy.

vCash

Speakin' of 'sploded knees and players not panning out the way we hoped, what about Bobby Joe Evans?

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

It's possible I'm thinking of Eric Martin. In fact, I'm sure I am.

vCash

i was living out of state, but that's what they say about Newton. he was a real baller. no one likes to see injury, but he a good season shooting the 3.

Kelvin made a living posting up Eric Martin on other teams guard that year. put a post player on him, EM goes out and shoots the 3.

the 99 team loses 3 of it's last 4 including the Pokes in the conference tournament. Kelvin is on TV begging to be in the tournament on Saturday.

criminy, he's lost 3 of 4 and NEVER won an NCAA game in 5 years. why let him in?

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Man. I just remembered we were the last team in the 1999 tournament, too. At least we were the lowest-seeded at-large bid.

Ironic that Arizona has that distinction this year.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 okienole3's Avatar
    vCash

I have seen Kelly Newton tearing it up at the Y within the last couple of years. Dude can play.
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleWingSooner
    I have the worst temper ever. You don't want to be around me when I explode. People found this out in Elementary and middle school so by the time I was in high school no one wanted to **** me off.

Awesoministrator

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by King Crimson View Post
    my recollect is that he quit the team and joined the Army, ?
    I'm not sure he ever joined the Army - I think that was just the rumor at the time. I remember seeing him often within the next year at the Y.
    It's possible I'm thinking of Eric Martin. In fact, I'm sure I am.
    Martin was from Louisville. Only Spaulding and J.R. Raymond were from North Carolina.

I remember playing at the Huff against Martin and Michael Johnson. It was not a fair game. Martin, Johnson and three dead weighters vs. five dead weighters. Martin would just hangout three feet behind the three point line and rain down threes all game.
    Like Kelly Newton. That guy was supposed to be a long-range gunner like nobody'd ever seen. He'd get hot every now and then, but what'd he finish his career behind the arc? 40%?
    42.0% for his career, 43.4% his senior year in 2001.