Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Question Jim Cramer (Mad Money CNBC) vs Jon Stewart

For those of you who haven't watched this...

Watch it and discuss.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-epi...isodeId=220533

Also...for those of you who know about markets and 401Ks...

These *******s who knew they were endangering our 401Ks and investments....shouldn't folks like JP Morgan who manage our funds be responsible when they don't offer one safe investment in the plans they manage? Shouldn't you be able to pull your investments and stow them in something extremely low risk? Especially when even the Republican President GWB was trying to end pensions in this Country in lew of 401K plans? Why the hell we I ever trust anyone in the Republican or Democratic (for that matter) in protecting my future in retirement?

It's dispicable IMO.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Re: Jim Cramer (Mad Money CNBC) vs Jon Stewart

Jon Stewart sucks, that is all i have about that...
    No matter what you do there will be critics

I'm not the type to forget about nights like this,
    where every single move that I make is documented and scored for style points.
    The once ambitious one now holds the smoking gun.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerTroll View Post
    Jon Stewart sucks, that is all i have about that...
    Then you didn't watch the episode did you Troll?

And why would you take it to the level that he sucks when what I'm saying is...You, Your Parents and anyone who works for a living were lied to and now have lost tons of their hard earned money to a bunch of self-deprecating thieves?

OK...you don't like Jon Stewart...but you think the premise of what he's discussing in the above thread sucks?

Are you serious?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

That was brutal. Major props to Cramer for actually showing up on what he knew was an interview designed to eat him alive. Still, he's a buffoon, and I'm glad he was exposed. It's rare to see Jon that mad, especially at a guest. I think he was nicer to the crossfire guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OhU1's Avatar
    vCash

I have this bookmarked to watch when I'm not at work. I understand Stewart really took Cramer to task and Cramer was all but groveling and even “about to cry” according to what I’ve read so far.

I've read some of Cramer's books and used to listen to his radio show. (the TV show is unbearable because of all the shtick and noisy sound effects) There's no doubt the guy knows a lot about trading. His role as a voice for the public and as someone you should listen to for financial advise I have a problem with.

Carmer has skirted the line on ethics enough times to warrant a healthy mistrust. Also Cramer will often plug a stock only to claim he warned everyone not to buy it after the stock tanks. No person can know all the stocks in the stock market. Cramer knows an impressive number of stocks but his hubris is extreme that he claims he can make credible buy and sell recommendations off the cuff as he does.
    "Democracy without respect for individual rights sucks. It's just ganging up against the weird kid, and I'm always the weird kid.."
    Penn Jillette

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

I wouldn't have applauded at everything the Daily Show audience did, but as Jon has said in the past when his audiences applaud everything he says, "The tickets are free."

(he said that when he was debating John McCain)

I think, perhaps, that while I appreciate someone calling out the financial "advisers" on national television for their oversight in anticipating the financial situation of now, he should have saved this conversation for a different environment... a comedy news show, perhaps, is not the most fair area to confront someone on this issue... but hey, look at all the press this has gotten so far?

For example, last time Jon had a problem with a national media hack, he went on THEIR show, not his own. Here is the infamous video of this.

vCash

Badger...

I would agree with you about the "Comedy Show isn't the best place for this" however...as Jon stated...it seems the National Media wants to sit there and report a much different scenario as to why all this happened. I'm not saying Jon and his Staff are 100 % right in their assessments...just right in calling out CNBC. Cramer is just the fuse Jon used to light the bomb he's dropping on CNBC Bosses.

The other thing is that Jon has come under fire more than once off the air for his views and really...it's mostly a schtick filled with enough current events to keep people interested and I like to feel that it makes some folks think about stuff they might just blow off just as Soonertroll did.

Anyway...I sure hope a few folks go to prison...Madoff will hopefully go away and anything he has left will hopefully be dispersed back into the hands of competent people.

The market seems to be recoverying a little...but I still don't trust any of them.

The Daily Show is replaying the show on Comedy Central as we speak.

For those of you who can watch...enjoy.

ST

SoonerFans.com Elite Member fadada1's Avatar
    vCash

got some info about cramer (not personal info) from one of our members who manages a mutual fund. said cramer is incredible intelligent and knows what he's talking about. HOWEVER, since he's been his MSNBC show, he simply doesn't do the research needed to make most of his claims. in other words, this show is entertainment and advice should be taken with some caution (or a TON of caution).

that being said, jon stewart clobbered him last night... and rightfully so, imo.

jon stewart and steven colbert are the best two interviewers on TV. PERIOD. it's not because they make people look stupid, which they do, it's becuase they ask real questions and don't back down. those two are 100X the journalists/interviewers that matt lauer and the like think they are. even more so, stewart and colbert are smarter than just about anyone else on TV that actually conduct interviews.

just my $.02
    I don’t know if the block on that last one was due to low trajectory or if the guys up front didn’t hold their ground well enough. I’m not convinced it matters. We have every reason to believe the ball could have gone through the uprights and the refs would have signaled first down Oregon. - D.E.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OUMallen's Avatar
    vCash

I kinda felt bad for Cramer, and here's why: he got called to task for ALL of CNBC. Most rational investors understand that a Cramer may be educated, but has a very strong chance of being wrong. Stewart was largely attacking all of CNBC about their coverage of the meltdown and how they kept saying over and over that certain companies were OK, the economy was OK, etc etc., only for us to shortly thereafter find that companies X, Y, and Z all folded and proved to be investment sinkholes.

Now, Cramer was the one that had the balls to go on Stewart, and Stewart, I thought, sort of held him to an unfair standard as representative of all of CNBC. As Cramer said, he just has one writer, and it's his nephew, and that's it.

I usually love Stewart, but I felt he was a little unfair in this one.
    Olevet Posse Bail Bondsman

"I searched through rebellion, drugs, diets, mysticism, religions, intellectualism and much more, only to begin to find that truth is basically simple - and feels good, clean and right"
    - Chick Corea

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    he should have saved this conversation for a different environment... a comedy news show, perhaps, is not the most fair area to confront someone on this issue
    While the rest of the "news" media has degenerated into a bunch of howler monkeys screeching and flinging their **** at each other over the past decade or so, The Daily Show and to a lesser extent The Colbert Report are the only ones willing to call them on their bull****.

Is NBC going to call BS on CNBC like Stewart did? Hell no, they just paraded Jim Cramer around on the Today Show and Martha freakin' Stewart this week.
    I'm not happy until you're not happy.

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Heh. And amazingly enough, with Martha Stewart and Jim Cramer on the same show who'd guess it was MARTHA who did time for securities improprieties?

And yes, I stole that from Colbert.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by StoopTroup View Post
    Then you didn't watch the episode did you Troll?

And why would you take it to the level that he sucks when what I'm saying is...You, Your Parents and anyone who works for a living were lied to and now have lost tons of their hard earned money to a bunch of self-deprecating thieves?

OK...you don't like Jon Stewart...but you think the premise of what he's discussing in the above thread sucks?

Are you serious?
    Of course i did not watch the episode, but i did watch the clip. I said JON STEWART sucks, not what he said. How could you get it wrong it was typed?!?

P.S. Cramer did not take your money, if you actually watched Mad Money for anything but entertainment i think you are also partly to blame...
    No matter what you do there will be critics

I'm not the type to forget about nights like this,
    where every single move that I make is documented and scored for style points.
    The once ambitious one now holds the smoking gun.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

P.S. Cramer did not take your money, if you actually watched Mad Money for anything but entertainment i think you are also partly to blame...
    Since the system is all one big circle jerk, anybody who bought into the nonsense of DOW 36000 and all that other crap ****ed it up for everybody. That was Stewart's point. Cramer and all his buddies in the financial media are responsible for trying to sell a pantload to everyone. And they were either directly complicit because they knew it was a pantload and wanted to take the money and run, or they should have known it was a pantload with a little due diligence.
    I'm not happy until you're not happy.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

This interview kind of frustrates me in many ways. 90% of Jon's stuff is pretty throwaway material, but every once in awhile we get a gem like this. It's a pity that it only lasted 20 minutes, and so little was accomplished.
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by fadada1 View Post
    jon stewart and steven colbert are the best two interviewers on TV. PERIOD. it's not because they make people look stupid, which they do, it's becuase they ask real questions and don't back down. those two are 100X the journalists/interviewers that matt lauer and the like think they are. even more so, stewart and colbert are smarter than just about anyone else on TV that actually conduct interviews.

just my $.02
    probably has more to do with the fact that they aren't "traditionally trained" journalists. So they don't need to *****foot around out of fear of losing contacts.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Chuck Bao's Avatar
    vCash

I think the interview was great. Jon Stewart got to the heart of the matter and Jim Cramer admitted repeatedly that Stewart was right. I appreciate this degree of candor even if it comes disguised as semi-comedy on the Comedy Channel.

With that being said, I highly doubt that media coverage of the stock market will change one bit. The markets are irrational and extremely short-term trading oriented, the latest best example is this last week. Media coverage of irrational behavior will be irrational.

I’ve mentioned before on another thread where my stock market analysts are under huge pressure to go along with short-term trading themes and justify it by long-term fundamentals. This whole idea is fail and my analysts see that and refuse to go along.

The sad fact is that CNBC has huge influence on the market and they get analysts on to justify short-term trades based on very contrived or irrelevant long-term valuation basis. Who in their right mind would listen to some analyst talk about the average recession duration and the fact that the stock market looks ahead so many quarters anyway?

Cramer talked about the management lying through their teeth on his program and how he couldn’t call them on it. The answer is simple. Just get analysts worth their salt on the show and let them offer counter arguments and list their set of assumptions. Cramer is a bit full of himself if he thinks that he is going to go against the market or the herd instinct. But, CNBC can always find a few contrarians to go against the herd and possibly do everyone a favor in picking out what should be obvious.

I’m not so sure some investors would actually want point – counter point and would just tune it out. At the end of the day, people tend to be lazy and want it painted black or white.

But, I love this debate.

Maybe it is indeed fitting on the comedy channel.
    Chuck's version of Christmas is the Anti-SicEm-
    SicEmBaylor

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 A Sooner in Texas's Avatar
    vCash

Jon Stewart owned Cramer. And he gave Cramer every opportunity to respond, but Cramer pretty much rolled over and wimped out. As far as The Daily Show perhaps not being the best venue for such an interview, it's just as viable as any other news show. It may be a "fake news" show, but Jon Stewart has established himself, even before this, that he's a great interviewer and isn't afraid to go for the jugular.

vCash

Thumbs down Re: Jim Cramer (Mad Money CNBC) vs Jon Stewart

Of course i did not watch the episode, but i did watch the clip. I said JON STEWART sucks, not what he said. How could you get it wrong it was typed?!?

Don't be a wise *** with me.

If you can read...I also asked a few questions which you didn't respond too.

The way you typed a little one line blurb that someone sucks and then overlooked what I was trying to get discussion on...well it was a serious attempt at discussing what has occured over the last few weeks in the finanacial markets.

If you wanted to start a Jon Stewart sucks thread...you could have.

Go suck an egg.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Bao View Post
    I think the interview was great. Jon Stewart got to the heart of the matter and Jim Cramer admitted repeatedly that Stewart was right. I appreciate this degree of candor even if it comes disguised as semi-comedy on the Comedy Channel.

With that being said, I highly doubt that media coverage of the stock market will change one bit. The markets are irrational and extremely short-term trading oriented, the latest best example is this last week. Media coverage of irrational behavior will be irrational.

I’ve mentioned before on another thread where my stock market analysts are under huge pressure to go along with short-term trading themes and justify it by long-term fundamentals. This whole idea is fail and my analysts see that and refuse to go along.

The sad fact is that CNBC has huge influence on the market and they get analysts on to justify short-term trades based on very contrived or irrelevant long-term valuation basis. Who in their right mind would listen to some analyst talk about the average recession duration and the fact that the stock market looks ahead so many quarters anyway?

Cramer talked about the management lying through their teeth on his program and how he couldn’t call them on it. The answer is simple. Just get analysts worth their salt on the show and let them offer counter arguments and list their set of assumptions. Cramer is a bit full of himself if he thinks that he is going to go against the market or the herd instinct. But, CNBC can always find a few contrarians to go against the herd and possibly do everyone a favor in picking out what should be obvious.

I’m not so sure some investors would actually want point – counter point and would just tune it out. At the end of the day, people tend to be lazy and want it painted black or white.

But, I love this debate.

Maybe it is indeed fitting on the comedy channel.
    Good Post Chuck. Thanks for chiming in.

Many of you have valid points.

I was amazed that Cramer came on the show. Whether or not he did or didn't fair well on the show...his stock went up in my mind for even facing the loaded gun.

vCash

Clearly, Stewart wants to break out of "comedy."