Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Rumors that Billy Gillispie may not be at Kentucky next year.

I don't really know what the liklihood of Gillispie being at Kentucky next year is but if he is not there next year then can the players get a scholarship release. The reason I am asking is because if that happens is there a chnce we could get Daniel Orton or would he just go to another school with basketball tradition. Kind of out of left field but seemed like a decent topic for conversation.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Re: Rumors that Billy Gillispie may not be at Kentucky next year.

The Aggies might have a song for you, Billy "Benedict Arnold" Gillispie...

Hullabaloo, Wildcat, Wildcat
    Hullabaloo, Wildcat, Wildcat
    Goodbye, Kentucky University
    So long to the blue and the white
    Never shoulda left the Texas Aggies
    They are the boys who show the real old fight
    'Hold that ball and hit that line'
    That is the song they sing so well
    Sounds Like Hell
    So Goodbye, Kentucky University
    Guess those postseason runs here were just
    All a big ol' sham
    You're just a coaching ham!
    The talent all along was only Texas A&M!

Administrator
    vCash

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he is gone next year. UK has fallen off of the basketball landscape. Much like our John Blake days. If the coach can't win, he'll be outta there.

As for the scholly release, I am assuming that the "rule" in football is the NCAA rule, thus the same for all sports. So, yes, the players would be allowed to transfer without sitting out a year.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sooner04's Avatar
    vCash

Let's keep this in perspective. Gillispie is on the cusp of going to the NCAA Tournament. The team is on the bubble, but they've got a chance.

That's more than we could've ever dreamed of under John Blake.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post
    Let's keep this in perspective. Gillispie is on the cusp of going to the NCAA Tournament. The team is on the bubble, but they've got a chance.

Okay, good point.

But you get the idea.

P.S. It's bad enough to have the Blake memories stuck in my brain...can't a man embellish then a litte?!

vCash

We already have two really good big man prospects coming in next year, and I believe we don't have anymore scholly spots, so I don't there is a chance we would see Orton in an OU jersey. Not to mention he is coming off serious knee surgery and hasn't played at all for McGuinness this year. I don't really think we need him.
    AMERICA!

vCash

If just going to the tourney (or just being on the bubble) was good enough for Kentucky, wouldn't they have never sent Tubby to Minnesota?

I appreciate you keeping things in perspective here, but I wish Kentucky all the losing in the world for their criticism and treatment of Tubby Smith. I hope UK is out tons upon tons of money if they fire Billy.

THEY need perspective. The d00ches put for sale signs on his lawn because he didn't make it to the Final Four for nine seasons. No wonder he resigned.

vCash

John Blake was never a head coach before coming to OU. Gillispie, on the other hand, was a rising star at a good program and was snatched up by a historic program. I don't think you can compare the two.

Gillispie had a 73% winning percentage at A&M and 60% winning percentage at Kentucky. While that might be good for some programs, it probably isn't at Kentucky.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member tommieharris91's Avatar
    vCash

If by "got a chance," you mean "need to win the SEC tournament," then I agree with you. They have the talent to do that, though.
    "If your dream ain't bigger than you, there's a problem with your dream." -Deion Sanders

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    At the registration page taking my new name Readyfor9
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser53 View Post
    We already have two really good big man prospects coming in next year, and I believe we don't have anymore scholly spots, so I don't there is a chance we would see Orton in an OU jersey. Not to mention he is coming off serious knee surgery and hasn't played at all for McGuinness this year. I don't really think we need him.
    We did cut a player a month ago, has that spot been filled yet? We should have one more scholorship available. Unless Blake Griffin stays.
    Comedian Shane Parks, for more information, booking, and show dates visit...
    www.myspace.com/shaneparkscomedy

Yes I'm just starting out, but at least I think I'm funny.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    If just going to the tourney (or just being on the bubble) was good enough for Kentucky, wouldn't they have never sent Tubby to Minnesota?

I appreciate you keeping things in perspective here, but I wish Kentucky all the losing in the world for their criticism and treatment of Tubby Smith. I hope UK is out tons upon tons of money if they fire Billy.

THEY need perspective. The d00ches put for sale signs on his lawn because he didn't make it to the Final Four for nine seasons. No wonder he resigned.
    Tubby did not resign on his own will, he was practically forced to by the boosters as his contract was bought out. Tubby won a nat'l title in his first year as head coach...with Rick Pitino's players. He then proceeded to squirt down his leg for the next 9 seasons as he had teams with great talent, but could not win the big one. 2004: the top #1 seed, go down against UAB in the second round. 2005: elite 8 2OT loss to Mich St. He did not get ANYWHERE close to returning to that level before or after his 2 best years!!!

Also, Tubby is loved in Lexington and he loves Lexington. One of the things everyone hated about letting him go was that he was such a great man off the court. But Kentucky realized it had a better relationship with winning national titles than it did a certain Tubby. The reason Billy G is the coach is because UK had 100% banked on Billy Donovan, who decided to go pro and then stay at Florida. Billy G was a last second hire that was given too much money just to ensure that he WOULD break his contract at A&M. It's now time for him to go too...he's got a serious drinking problem, not friendly in public, and oh yeah...HIS TEAM SUCKS! If you were a UK fan and you lost to Virginia Military Institute, don't you think there's a problem? He can get the players to UK, but he sure can't make them perform...other than Meeks and Patterson.

It sounds my friend, like YOU need some perspective.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

Blake won 5 games in 98, that's "on the cusp" of being bowl eligible which i'd compare to "on the cusp" a 10 seed from a major conference.

Blake was not bowl eligible, and Billy G will miss the Dance.

difference is Billy G has actually won some games as a HC not just on Playstation, before.
    “someone's controlling the vibes!"--apache dropout

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

he's another example of a coach who's a god at one place (aggieland)and greed and ambition cause him to go elsewhere (kentucky) where he becomes a failure or perceived failure..........happens all the time in coaching.....a lot of texans, from the get go, said that him leaving college station was gonna be a huge mistake

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KYSooner View Post
    It sounds my friend, like YOU need some perspective.
    It sounds like we agree on everything - that Tubby was a stand-up guy that Kentucky wanted out because he couldn't win another title like he did his first year (yes, with Slick Rick's players).

They now have an overrated coach (regardless of whether or not he was their first choice, they hired him) that can't win because they weren't satisfied with just making the tourney every year under Tubby.

I don't see where my perspective differs from yours, except perhaps that you don't wish hard times and lots of losing on Kentucky after they forced Tubby out. I dunno, do you?

As a "KySooner," I am not sure if you place more emphasis on the "KY" or the "Sooner," but if you place more emphasis on the Sooner, perhaps your jaw also hits the floor every time you hear your Wildcat neighbors complaining about a coach that was a class act that brought in a lot of wins and postseason appearances. It would be like people wanting Bob Stoops out at OU because he hasn't won BCS games lately (and for the record, I want Stoops to stay!)

I hope that I never lose perspective with what's important to a university. I love winning, yes, but I want to win the right way, as Joe C. puts it.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by King Crimson View Post
    Blake won 5 games in 98, that's "on the cusp" of being bowl eligible which i'd compare to "on the cusp" a 10 seed from a major conference.

Blake was not bowl eligible, and Billy G will miss the Dance.

difference is Billy G has actually won some games as a HC not just on Playstation, before.
    You're a John Blake apologist, aren't you?

My mind will not allow me to believe John Blake was anywhere near anything called success. Horrifying thoughts like that let my mind wander to a place where we might have kept him as head coach following the '98 season.

[shudder]

vCash

You're a John Blake apologist, aren't you?

My mind will not allow me to believe John Blake was anywhere near anything called success. Horrifying thoughts like that let my mind wander to a place where we might have kept him as head coach following the '98 season.

[shudder]
    i'm an advoctus diabolis, not a Blake apologist.

i'm just saying, the number are numbers...but the larger point is qualitative.

vCash

What language is that? Hebrew?

vCash

What language is that? Hebrew?
    i misspelled in latin. if Gillispie can't go .500 in this years SEC? and you are UK fan....and Blake is 5-6, one "game" away from "bowl eligible"....are you feeling hot to trot after your success as a legendary program.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Collier11's Avatar
    vCash

1st, they would be dumb to fire Gillespie, the guy can coach and is just having a tough year...he deserves atleast one more year

2nd, maybe they shouldnt have fired Tubby after all, shows what happens when spoiled fans get their way
    Ranger Reese of OVJ country, Patrollin tha hood.

I Survived Drunkytown with OleVet and all I got was this rash!

With a record of 109-23 (.826) and six Big 12 championships in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
    ~ Ivan Maisel

http://sportslife11.blogspot.com/

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Why in the hell is anyone trying to compare college football coaches with college basketball coaches.

http://www.dcsooners.com/newsite/

"You've got vomit on yourself...."

Hays County Police Officer to D.J. Monroe