Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

low scoring games...who's/what's to blame??

players are more talented, bigger, stronger etc.....shot clock, 3 point line, media timeouts...........so why are so many college games so low scoring????..at just 2 points per minute you have an 80 point game.......i have an opinion but i want to hear what others think

SoonerFans.com Elite Member tommieharris91's Avatar
    vCash

Re: low scoring games...who's/what's to blame??

Pace. Teams don't play as fast as they used to, especially when it comes to half-court offense.
    "If your dream ain't bigger than you, there's a problem with your dream." -Deion Sanders

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

A lot also has to do with team familiarity/chemistry. Now that guys can jump to the NBA after one year, you aren't gonna have a lot of teams with lineups that consist mostly of JRs and SRs anymore, at least at the major schools anyway.

vCash

The shot clock is too long.
    Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    I may be wrong but it seems as if we may have gone for a fake PAT once since I've been at Baylor. Although I may have just been drunk and playing Xbox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turd_Ferguson View Post
    Back off of Bob (Barry, Sr.). He's drank more beer, pissed more blood and banged more quiff than all of you numnut's put together.

At the registration page taking my new name Readyfor9
    vCash

If you take 20 seconds per shot clock and shoot 50% from the floor, you are getting 60 points per game. 3 shots every 2 minutes.

3x20=60/2=30x2(assuming the shot is worth 2 points) that is 60 points per game

Seems about average considering 3 pointers and free throws, you should hit 80 per game for an average shooting team at 50%.

Seems right to me.
    Comedian Shane Parks, for more information, booking, and show dates visit...
    www.myspace.com/shaneparkscomedy

Yes I'm just starting out, but at least I think I'm funny.

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

1. Zone defenses with better athletes.
    2. Lack of players who can hit a midrange jumper consistently to bust the zone.
    3. Public perception that coaches who stress half-court defense are harder-working or tougher-minded than coaches who stress fast-break offense (ask a bunch of sportswriters who's a better coach-Izzo or Donovan. I bet most say Izzo.) This leads to a situation where defensive coaches get hired to replace coaches who lose control of their teams.
    4. The Big Ten
    5. Set plays. Coaches keep trying to prove what geniuses they are with millions of crazy set plays instead of letting kids do what they've done since they were 5-play basketball in flow and rhythm.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

vCash

frozen pretty much nailed it. that and the simple fact that the college game is a full 8 minutes shorter with an extra 11 seconds on the shot clock, and players still can't shoot.

vCash

Any time that you have to actually ask then its automatically the refs fault.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

dang starclassic...i've never thought of it that way....interesting observation

soonerfan......you're right...i DO blame part of it on the officiating.....the game has become so physical that it diminishes skills, in my opinion.......and the officiating is so arbitrary....of course you've always been able to say that but i think its even more so nowadays.......they knock the crap outta each other under the basket and the official somehow doesnt see it