Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator
    vCash

Nerf Basketball?

I heard it mentioned during the broadcast, and it made me think of it.

Who had a nerf hoop set up? Where?

Mine was in the hallway leading to my bedroom. We would go full force when we played. We even had a three point line.

I have purchased several nerf hoops since I've had kids, but they don't seem to get into as much as I did.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Nerf Basketball?

i could score from anywhere, nerf wise.

mine was on my closet door.
    “someone's controlling the vibes!"--apache dropout

Bedroom door. I was the king of the two-wall bank shot.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

my buddy and i once played the whole tournament field of 64 in a masterpiece of nerd-dom.
    “someone's controlling the vibes!"--apache dropout

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

Growing up it was on the closet door, I drew OU "backboards" for it. Later a roommate and I had a house with a 22 foot cathedral ceiling, we had it above the fireplace. Made it nice to not have to shot so flat like I did at my parents house.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

On the closet door is where my kids played.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonervegas's Avatar
    vCash

Bedroom door. I set up schedules for OU, including a preseason tournament, all college tournament, home and aways with all big 8 opponents, big 8 tourney, etc. I put out weekly rankings and of course a 64 team bracket. I would play possesions for both of the teams. They would get a three point shot and if they missed a follow up two point shot. I tried to make it as "fair" as possible, but my OU team somehow consistently made it to the NC game.

Administrator
    vCash

I never did the whole tournament thing with the Nerf hoop, however, when I was about 11 or 12, my best friend and I found a nerf-sized wooden backboard with a real metal rim and a net. The weird part was that it had the University of Kentucky on it, and it was at TG&Y in OKC.

We went in together and bought it. My friend had the perfect set-up for it in his garage, so we had our own arena. We did play the field of 64 several times on that.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member OKC-SLC's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by King Crimson View Post
    my buddy and i once played the whole tournament field of 64 in a masterpiece of nerd-dom.
    You're right; that is epic nerd-dom.

But awesome.

Sooner All-World
    vCash

did you guys have the one with the medal bracket that could go over the door? or the newer crap kind?
    I got mine back in 1984 and that sucker was solid. I tore down the trim above the hallway tryin' to dunk back in the day.
    In fact nerf basketball caused me to develop osgood schlatters.
    Last edited by oumartin; 2/28/2009 at 10:54 PM.

Awesoministrator

vCash

I had the one with the metal bracket. Bedroom door at my house. I completely wrecked that door. Had to put tape all along the bottom of it.

My neighbor had his in his garage, which was probably for the best.

Sooner All-World
    vCash

why do they not sell the metal bracket ones anymore? We have three of the newer kind in our house. They suck

vCash

Bedroom door, I could play with my friends all day, then we would go outside and dunk on the basketball goal after it was lowered to 6 ft.

Keep in mind we were like 12
    He's coming for you

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Ton Loc's Avatar
    vCash

Mine was on the closet door. Many times my friends and I would fly into the closet doors and knock them completely into the closet during the many dunk and horse contests.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 sooner518's Avatar
    vCash

bedroom door. we had a free throw and 3 point line. when my parents werent home, we played on their closet door because their room was bigger. man i loved playing nerfball
    Quote Originally Posted by bri
    NOW, WITNESS THE ORANGE POWER OF THIS FULLY OPERATIONAL HALF-EMPTY STADIUM!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    I had the one with the metal bracket. Bedroom door at my house. I completely wrecked that door. Had to put tape all along the bottom of it.

My neighbor had his in his garage, which was probably for the best.
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Always wondered about that door.
    If by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people - their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties - someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad; if that is what they mean by a "Liberal," then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal." - John F. Kennedy

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by oumartin View Post
    did you guys have the one with the medal bracket that could go over the door? or the newer crap kind?
    I got mine back in 1984 and that sucker was solid. I tore down the trim above the hallway tryin' to dunk back in the day.
    In fact nerf basketball caused me to develop osgood schlatters.
    The first one that I had at my parents house was metal clip and metal rim, the later one that I had had the metal clip but plastic rim and the heavier ball.

Sooner All-World
    vCash

metal rim? wow. mine was metal clip and plastic rim but yes the ball was much larger than those of today. you actually had to be a decent shot for it to go in. Those were the days I tell ya...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Newbomb Turk's Avatar
    vCash

I seem to remember having one with a metal rim when I was a kid. I bought one with the metal clip, but plastic rim when I was in college. My roommate and I would put it up on the dorm room door. Nice high ceilings in the room so it worked good.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Haven't bought one in about 10 years but the latest models that were all plastic and had the cardboard backboard were crap. I actually bought one off ebay a long time ago just because it was old school.

I do prefer the balls that were made out of the same material as the footballs rather than the really fuzzy older ones that didn't bounce well and seemed to collect hair like nobody's business.

I actually picked a rental place because the living room had an elevated ceiling and was perfect for the NERF hoop. Seriously!
    Last edited by jkjsooner; 3/1/2009 at 06:22 PM.