Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 jdsooner's Avatar
    vCash

Blake Griffin Is Improving

AUSTIN, Texas -- Oklahoma center Blake Griffin's status for Monday night's game against Kansas remained uncertain, team officials said Sunday.

Griffin suffered a concussion during OU's 73-68 loss at Texas Saturday. Griffin's parents said Griffin underwent an MRI, which was clear, and his condition is improving. Griffin had two points and three rebounds in 11 minutes Saturday.

Griffin left the game late in the first half after taking an inadvertent elbow to the nose.
    Hope you get better soon big guy; we need you!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Blake Griffin Is Improving

he will be back and bring hell with him.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 IronHorseSooner's Avatar
    vCash

If he plays tomorrow, he might go nuclear!
    "Texas might have made some concessions and they might be in the same conference as Oklahoma, but they're not in the same league."

Rece Davis College Football Final 8 OCT 2011

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

If I was Capel I would probably sit him out tomorrow night. Two days just seems pushing it for any concussion. I feel weird saying that since Im going to the game tomorrow night and really wanna see him play.

vCash

I'd rather see him ready to play in March than rushed into playing in February. Jus' sayin'.

the_ouskull
    Skull=the most underrated poster in SoonerFans.com history. -- gdc, 09/05

skull makes people want to go sit in the corner and hang their heads in shame when he responds to their posts. -- birddog, 01/09

skull makes you feel like you are the dumbest motherf*cker on the planet... -- soonerinabilene, 08/09

My staff is getting tired of me making them read your posts. -- birddog, 10/09

As is pretty much always the case, I agree with Skull. -- A Sooner in Texas, 11/09

SoonerFans.com Elite Member OKC-SLC's Avatar
    vCash

The only reason to play him is because there aren't necessarily a lot of head jolts in basketball. If it were football, he'd have to be out I'd think.

Ready for Baseball Season tulsaoilerfan's Avatar
    vCash

IMO, Monday night is not worth the risk; yes we are playing for a number 1 seed in the NCAA's, but if this team is truly Final 4 worthy it won't matter what seed we have; i say sit him

vCash

My guess is the medical staff will have considerable say in whether Blake plays or not, and not just Capel or Blake himself.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

vCash

I think he plays tomorrow. If he looks halfway decent they won't be able to keep him off the floor. I found this on ESPN.

NORMAN, Okla. -- Preseason All-America Blake Griffin's status is uncertain for No. 2 Oklahoma Sooners's game against Kansas (No. 18 ESPN/USA Today, No. 15 AP) on Monday night after he sustained a concussion in a loss to Texas.

Sooners coach Jeff Capel said Griffin would be held out of practice Sunday, but he won't know until game day whether his star player will be able to go against the Jayhawks on Monday night in a game that will give one team the lead in the Big 12 title race.

"The most important thing is him and his future. You don't want to do anything to risk any further damage, so that's the most important thing," Capel said before practice Sunday. "We're going to proceed with caution with this and make sure he's OK.

"And we'll move on whichever way we have to, with him or without."

Griffin averages 22 points and an NCAA-best 13.8 rebounds and leads the nation with 22 double-doubles this season. He was hurt Saturday night when he caught an inadvertent shot to the face from the open hand of Dexter Pittman, Texas' 300-pound center.

Griffin sat out the second half and appeared dazed at times as he sat on the bench during the Sooners' 73-68 loss. Capel said he knew when he saw Griffin stagger off the court at halftime that his 6-foot-10 forward wouldn't be returning to the game.

"It looked like Lex Luthor brought the Kryptonite out and you saw Superman walking around there," Capel said.

It didn't get much better on the trip home.

"After the game was over with and on the plane, he just looked tired. He looked really fatigued, and that was really about it," Capel said. "I didn't really bother him or ask him, 'How are you doing?' or anything like that."

Capel said he was somewhat encouraged by what doctors told him about an MRI that had been taken to get more information on Griffin's concussion, but more evaluations would have to be done Sunday night and Monday before a decision was made on whether Griffin would play.

He said he would not hold Griffin out as a precaution and that he would listen to what the doctors say and what Griffin says but "more so what the doctors say."

"When you have an injury to the head like that, you never know. You just don't really know," Capel said. "That's the tough part of it."

With top-ranked Connecticut having lost earlier in the week to No. 4 Pittsburgh, the Sooners (25-2) had a chance to move up to the No. 1 ranking for the first time since 1990 with an impressive enough victory at Texas. The Associated Press' new poll will be released Monday.

"I was a history major but I don't get into history or what that could've been," Capel said. "We lost, so that's the bottom line to me."

With Griffin out, freshman Willie Warren led the way with 27 points and six 3-pointers and the Sooners led 61-56 with 5 minutes to play before A.J. Abrams got hot to lead the Longhorns to the win.

"I was really proud of our guys and how we competed. Again not happy with the result because we expected to win the game," Capel said. "Even with Blake out, we expected to win the game."

Oklahoma and Kansas (22-5) enter Monday night's game with identical 11-1 records in Big 12 play, carrying a one-game lead over Missouri (No. 10 ESPN/USA Today, No. 11 AP) in the conference standings. The Jayhawks won last year's meeting in Kansas 85-55, with Griffin missing all but 5 minutes with his first of two knee injuries last season.

In both instances, he made a quicker-than-expected return and missed only one game.

The rematch could determine the regular-season champion and No. 1 seed in the Big 12 tournament.

"They're young, but they're talented. Those kids fight, they believe and they have a championship spirit about them," Capel said. "When you go through what that program went through last year of making the Final Four and winning the national championship and you return players ... they got to see what a championship mentality is like and what you have to do, and you can't buy that type of experience.

"That's carried over to this year, when a lot of people maybe thought they maybe wouldn't be as good or would struggle."
    Last edited by soonerfan28; 2/22/2009 at 07:34 PM.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 jdsooner's Avatar
    vCash

I think he will play.
    Last edited by jdsooner; 2/22/2009 at 07:38 PM.

vCash

Either he is cleared or he is not cleared. IT did not look like a bad hit too me, his symptoms were bad - but the hit itself did not look that bad to me.

I think he plays, just see what his symptoms are on gameday. I am not down playing anything, but it just seems I have seen a lot harder shots to the head that really do not cause that much damage that he was showing.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 IronHorseSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Well, the good thing is that KU doesn't have the Private Pyle of college BBALL, Pittman, playing for them. Their guys are more finesse guys, to include Aldrich My bet is that he plays. He will have a 5 day rest before the game in Lubbock, which the good guys could win even without him.
    "Texas might have made some concessions and they might be in the same conference as Oklahoma, but they're not in the same league."

Rece Davis College Football Final 8 OCT 2011

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Collier11's Avatar
    vCash

FWIW, I got a minor concussion about a month ago playing at the Y and tried to play 3 days later...needless to say I still felt woozy and decided to go home. Dont underestimate what a minor concussion means or how it feels
    Ranger Reese of OVJ country, Patrollin tha hood.

I Survived Drunkytown with OleVet and all I got was this rash!

With a record of 109-23 (.826) and six Big 12 championships in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
    ~ Ivan Maisel

http://sportslife11.blogspot.com/

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Collier11's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by MojoRisen View Post
    Either he is cleared or he is not cleared. IT did not look like a bad hit too me, his symptoms were bad - but the hit itself did not look that bad to me.

I think he plays, just see what his symptoms are on gameday. I am not down playing anything, but it just seems I have seen a lot harder shots to the head that really do not cause that much damage that he was showing.
    The impact means nothing if he is still showing symptoms or doesnt feel right. Its just the same as someone who can get pounded in a fight and come out of it fine or a guy who takes one lucky shot and is knocked out. It may not have looked bad, but Pittman is a big guy, it could have been an earlier shot that ESPN wasnt showing, he could have been hit just right, there are alot of variables
    Ranger Reese of OVJ country, Patrollin tha hood.

I Survived Drunkytown with OleVet and all I got was this rash!

With a record of 109-23 (.826) and six Big 12 championships in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
    ~ Ivan Maisel

http://sportslife11.blogspot.com/

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Collier11 View Post
    FWIW, I got a minor concussion about a month ago playing at the Y and tried to play 3 days later...needless to say I still felt woozy and decided to go home. Dont underestimate what a minor concussion means or how it feels
    This ^^^^^^^^^
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

vCash

I read somewhere that it was a hit by Balbay and not Pittman.

Ready for Baseball Season tulsaoilerfan's Avatar
    vCash

My son suffered a concussion last spring playing baseball, and it was scary and much worse than Blake's; he actually was knocked out for about 5 minutes and he was held out of any action for 2 weeks including practice; every concussion is different, but i just don't think the risk is worth it to put him on the floor barely 48 hours after the concussion

vCash

i had a feeling it had to be something before the hit they kept showing

the KU game isn't near as important as the rest of the season

even with a loss to KU we could end up with a share of the Big 12 conceivably

SoonerFans.com Elite Member OU_Sooners75's Avatar
    vCash

The impact means nothing if he is still showing symptoms or doesnt feel right. Its just the same as someone who can get pounded in a fight and come out of it fine or a guy who takes one lucky shot and is knocked out. It may not have looked bad, but Pittman is a big guy, it could have been an earlier shot that ESPN wasnt showing, he could have been hit just right, there are alot of variables

Pretty sure you are not in the physical condition as Griffin.

With that said, if he is cleared to play, by all means, play him. If not, do not force the issue.

This Sooner squad is poised to make a deep run into the tournament this year, so do not jeopardize what can be. If he is good to go, then go with it. Bit if there is any doubt or questions, leave him out and let him recover.

And looking back on the game on DVR....I do not think it was that hit from Pittman that gave him a concussion. There was a play just a few moments before that play where he got elbowed in the temple when going for a rebound. I think that coupled with the hand to the face was what gave it to him.

The refs allowed for a lot of dirty cheap shots in that game. It was, without a doubt, one of the worst reffed games I have ever watched...and I have watched some NAIA and NJCAA games!

Quote Originally Posted by bornnbredou View Post

and before you tear into me remember, BOOMER SOONER!

Skip Bayless, is that you?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod3157 View Post
    If I was Capel I would probably sit him out tomorrow night. Two days just seems pushing it for any concussion. I feel weird saying that since Im going to the game tomorrow night and really wanna see him play.
    Agreed.
    Even if he says he's ready to go, and maybe even if the doc clears him because as important as Monday night is-the rest of the season and MM are much more.