Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Georgia after Jeff Capel ?

Among the candidates believed to be high on Georgia's list of potential replacements are Oklahoma's Jeff Capel; Xavier's Sean Miller; UNLV's Lon Kruger; Baylor's Scott Drew; and Virginia Commonwealth's Anthony Grant.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member tommieharris91's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Georgia after Jeff Capel ?

Nice, you throw out news that probably won't happen, and you decide not to provide a link either. Georgia basketball is a step down from OU and a step down for Capel.

Heck, Georgia getting any of those guys other than Anthony Grant is a pipedream.
    "If your dream ain't bigger than you, there's a problem with your dream." -Deion Sanders

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Hanging out on the Alabama boards I'm finding it amusing how they think they can pull Mark Few or Tom Izzo. What?

Anthony Grant is going to make some program very happy. His name is coming up pretty regularly on the 'Bama boards.

The only truly unrealistic ones I see on the above list are Capel and Miller. Kruger may be wanting to get back into a major conference and Drew's gotta think recruiting to Georgia's easier than recruiting to Baylor.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Sooner View Post
    Hanging out on the Alabama boards I'm finding it amusing how they think they can pull Mark Few or Tom Izzo. What?

Anthony Grant is going to make some program very happy. His name is coming up pretty regularly on the 'Bama boards.

The only truly unrealistic ones I see on the above list are Capel and Miller. Kruger may be wanting to get back into a major conference and Drew's gotta think recruiting to Georgia's easier than recruiting to Baylor.
    Drew's problem isn't recruiting. It's coaching.
    "If your dream ain't bigger than you, there's a problem with your dream." -Deion Sanders

Sooner All-World
    vCash

Not gonna happen!

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tommieharris91 View Post
    Drew's problem isn't recruiting. It's coaching.
    Not sure how you coach a star player to not brick three free throws. But agreed-however, he may be able to recruit well enough at Georgia to overcome coaching deficiencies.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

Georgia, hoops-wise is a lesser version of OU. School where (again, lesser) football will always come first without OU's significant top 25 type program over the last 25 or so years (hoops). it's one "pro" i guess is it's closer to home.

Maryland is more likely; however, i think by the time it's all said and done that job will be smeared with "crap" after the Dick Vitale's of the world loudly and constantly bemoan the forced resig of Gary Williams for about 5 weeks up through the Final Four. GW goes all the way back to the early days of the Big East at BC and had success at Ohio State, too. the early BE of Massimino and Carneseca and all that is where Dick cut his teeth as an announcer...the nostalgia will flow heavy and loud from the Dickie V.

there will be *a lot* of media kvetching when he goes--. the job will be stained in public, IMO, fair or not from a Terp perspective.

good for us, though.
    “someone's controlling the vibes!"--apache dropout

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Its other pro over Baylor:

It's not Baylor.

Seriously, if Georgia WANTS to get good at basketball, they have the resources. They also have a natural recruiting area in Atlanta.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

Its other pro over Baylor:

It's not Baylor.

Seriously, if Georgia WANTS to get good at basketball, they have the resources. They also have a natural recruiting area in Atlanta.
    i guess. i've been hearing my entire life that Missouri is a sleeping giant in football and basketball for those same reasons.

i think Drew's "Hoosiers" type homespun Valpo background is a good fit at Baylor and in over his head (right now, at least) on a bigger stage like UGA.
    “someone's controlling the vibes!"--apache dropout

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 cheezyq's Avatar
    vCash

One thing Capel has at his current job is momentum. He's doing fantastic on the recruiting trail. He's got a solid winning team right now. Management loves him. Fans love him (although we may not show it by attendance). He's going to get another raise if he does well in the tourney.

You never switch jobs when you have momentum unless the destination is a significant step up. Capel knows that he WILL land a sweet job near his hometown, and that it will be a MUCH better destination than Georgia...if he just waits (perhaps even only a couple of years). In the meantime, he can just enjoy collecting paychecks and using the resources that he has at the best university in college sports.

To be honest, if I were Capel (and yeah, I'm biased), I look at his situation as basketball coach at OU as a no-lose scenario. Basketball is secondary at OU, and while some view that as a negative, it's a huge plus for guys like Ric Barnes, who have zero pressure, yet all the resources and support they could ever need to put together winning teams. There's no WAY you leave something like that for an equal or lower job like Georgia. And I imagine a smart guy would pass up even some slightly more attractive basketball jobs to stay here.

espn.com

vCash

Not sure how you coach a star player to not brick three free throws. But agreed-however, he may be able to recruit well enough at Georgia to overcome coaching deficiencies.
    Scott Drew recruits Texas pretty well now.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sooner04's Avatar
    vCash

OU is a better job than Georgia.
    OU has always been a better job than Georgia.
    Jeff Capel shant be going to Georgia now or any time soon.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member boomersooner28's Avatar
    vCash

Why wont ratedrsuperstar just go away?

Just. Go. Away.

Now.

Plzthnx

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tommieharris91 View Post
    Scott Drew recruits Texas pretty well now.
    I think we're saying the same thing yet not managing to communicate.

He absolutely recruits well right now. It is my opinion that were he at Georgia he would recruit even better. Instead of being the fourth fiddle in Texas recruiting to Texas, OU, and A&M he would be either top dog or at worst second chair in Georgia.

Well, except to Kentucky, I guess.

I'm just saying:

He'd have access to more resources at Georgia than he does at Baylor and recruiting a kid to a state school in Athens has got to be easier than selling the joys of the Baptist lifestyle.

CEO, Devastation, Inc. John Kochtoston's Avatar
    vCash

I would be shocked, and not a little disappointed, if Capel left OU for Georgia.

Maryland, less so on both counts.

I don't see either one happening.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    At the registration page taking my new name Readyfor9
    vCash

It is always amazing to me when a basketball coaching change happens what and who other teams think they can get. Even on this board some of the names mentioned instead of Jeff Capel were to put it mildly delusional. We need only look to our little sisters to the north to see Oklahoma State offer Bill Self a job at their school after he won a National Championship.

Unless you are Duke, UCLA, UNC, or Kentucky, everything else just seems like a lateral move. Basically what I am saying is if we can match anything on the table, except being a traditional powerhouse. Georgia can't pull Capel from us.
    Comedian Shane Parks, for more information, booking, and show dates visit...
    www.myspace.com/shaneparkscomedy

Yes I'm just starting out, but at least I think I'm funny.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member OU_Sooners75's Avatar
    vCash

I wonder if Capel wants to make his legacy somewhere besides in the Carolina's?

I mean, not every coach will jump at a job, just because it is a bigger coaching spot in that sport.

I know most here despise Leslie Miles. But he is one of a handful of coaches that is making his legacy away from his alma mater.

What says Capel wants to leave OU to go to Duke, or any ACC school for that matter?

Here at OU, he could build a program that could win a national championship. He could turn out to be the Next Bobby Knight, or Coach K. Stay with a program until you retire or are not wanted anymore.

Coach K, is from Chicago. Played at Army. Made Duke into a powerhouse basketball school.

What makes any one think Capel does not want that from OU? He seems to be enjoying his time here.

Quote Originally Posted by bornnbredou View Post

and before you tear into me remember, BOOMER SOONER!

Skip Bayless, is that you?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ratedrsuperstar View Post
    espn.com
    I guess that is a more specific link than just saying "internet" but not by much.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Georgia: Where the only way you make it to the Big Dance is by having a big conference tourney after dogging the rest of the season!

Get it?! Dogging?! Woof woof!

Maybe Charles Barkley could convince K-Pro to leave Virgina Commonwealth for Auburn, but there's less chance of convincing him to leave Oklahoma for Georgia. He already had to start over once after building a fairly solid program in VA (and yes, it was solid - it received the token honor of beating Duke in the early NCAA rounds! yay, Commonwealth!). He has something good going here that would be foolish to walk away from.

Even if Capel has a rare moment of being foolish, he has a lawyer wife who will probably say "no" 100 percent of the time.