Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Sooners should THANK the Gators for their offense...

well at least for their offensive minded orientation.

Here's why -

Back in the day, the Big 12 was mostly about option and ball control. The forward pass was this new fangled thing in which 2 out of 3 potential outcomes are bad. Stoops went from Big 12 land to Spurrier land, the land of wide open offenses, fun N gun, chuck it down the field, go for it on 4th down, and beat the snot out of your opponent even if its in the 4th quarter. After a couple of years at UF, Stoops took this let it all hang out philosophy to OU - much to the chagrin of many OU fans - Many were skeptical that you could win the ball game with a pass first philosophy. While the scheme OK adopted was significantly different than Spurrier's, nonetheless he opted for a pass oriented high yards high scoring scheme, which D coordinators typically don't like because it wears down your own defense too. He decided he liked offense, yards, and scoring, vs 3 yds and a cloud of dust, or running the option where if you ever get 10 pts behind in the 4th quarter and can't pass you're toast.

Since that point, the Big 12 has become much more wide open with the onset of the spread, to the point of being more wide open than the SEC these days.

That my friends is why the Sooner nation should thank the Gator nation.

Your friend,

L-Boy

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 AzianSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Sooners should THANK the Gators for their offense...

OK thanks.

and we are going to kick your team's a..ss.

vCash

You're a dumb ***.

...and a flamer. Can we bane this idjit?
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

So your saying with recent runners like Peterson, Murray, AP, Brown, Madu, etc. that Stoops uses a "pass first" philosophy? I don't know if that's the case. While I agree with you that the Big 12 offenses have opened up, I still think that Stoops has a run first mindset.

Now Leach...different story.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    You're a dumb ***.

I have recently generally avoided discourse with you for obvious reasons, but how is this a flame?? Fundamentally what I am saying is true.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by L-Boy View Post
    I have recently generally avoided discourse with you for obvious reasons, but how is this a flame?? Fundamentally what I am saying is true.
    So is what I said.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KYSooner View Post
    So your saying with recent runners like Peterson, Murray, AP, Brown, Madu, etc. that Stoops uses a "pass first" philosophy? I don't know if that's the case. While I agree with you that the Big 12 offenses have opened up, I still think that Stoops has a run first mindset.

Now Leach...different story.
    Whatever you want to call it, the passing game has been a huge part of the OK offense. I did not say OK had no running game.

They started with Leach from KY and he was arguably excessively pass happy, although I think since that point Leach has refined and made his system more effective. Mangeone (sp?) toned it down a bit, but still pretty transformational compared to your average Big 12 fare of the day.

vCash

Oh...and sorry, I don't tolerate fools well.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I thought the SEC was all about the line up the I formation and run it down everybody's throat. That was until Leach got there.

vCash

The SEC invented football!

Olevet Posse Pistolero

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

well at least for their offensive minded orientation.

Here's why -

Back in the day, the Big 12 was mostly about option and ball control. The forward pass was this new fangled thing in which 2 out of 3 potential outcomes are bad. Stoops went from Big 12 land to Spurrier land, the land of wide open offenses, fun N gun, chuck it down the field, go for it on 4th down, and beat the snot out of your opponent even if its in the 4th quarter. After a couple of years at UF, Stoops took this let it all hang out philosophy to OU - much to the chagrin of many OU fans - Many were skeptical that you could win the ball game with a pass first philosophy. While the scheme OK adopted was significantly different than Spurrier's, nonetheless he opted for a pass oriented high yards high scoring scheme, which D coordinators typically don't like because it wears down your own defense too. He decided he liked offense, yards, and scoring, vs 3 yds and a cloud of dust, or running the option where if you ever get 10 pts behind in the 4th quarter and can't pass you're toast.

Since that point, the Big 12 has become much more wide open with the onset of the spread, to the point of being more wide open than the SEC these days.

That my friends is why the Sooner nation should thank the Gator nation.

Your friend,

L-Boy
    let's just say that your incorrect hypothesis is at least minimally plausible. Then would not the wide open offensive style would have spread like wildfire in the mostly 2.5 yards and a cloud of dust offenses that have mired the SEC into this perception that their defenses could shut out every NFL team that has won the Super Bowl known to history?

using the crux of your argument we should probably thanking Hal Mumme for not wanting to leave Kentucky hereby allowing Bob Stoops to hire Mike Leach, despite taking the rest of his coaching staff at the time mainly from Kansas State, a school that was running a semi-unconventional at the time offense compared to the Big-12 as a whole.

therefore, it is Hayden Fry and Iowa that we should be thanking for our offense. For had he not coached Bob Stoops in college, he couldn't have taken the journey he took that somehow had us running a more power based version of the Kevin Wilson Northwestern offense under Randy Walker.
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Oh...and sorry, I don't tolerate fools well.
    Its one thing to sit behind a PC screen in the comfort and security of your home and throw out such insults on a message board, its another to actually construct an intelligle argument supporting your assertions, which I have not seen a lot from you.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

p.s. shouldn't you be kissing Bob Davie's *** for turning Urban Meyer from a doodler into a coach?
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

vCash

Its one thing to sit behind a PC screen in the comfort and security of your home and throw out such insults on a message board, its another to actually construct an intelligle argument supporting your assertions, which I have not seen a lot from you.
    YAWN...

Hey wait, want to hear how fast we are?

Olevet Posse Pistolero

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Crucifax Autumn's Avatar
    vCash

Historically you are correct that Stoops time at Florida led to his embrace of spread style offenses. You are incorrect in saying it came from Florida's offensive strategy though.

He hired Leach due to the headaches he encountered trying to defend Leach's system at Kentucky and hired him to bring it to Oklahoma.

When the Shooting Starts, We Kill What Moves
    Roland Deschain of Gilead
    ________

- Olevet Posse Gunslinger -

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonerfan28 View Post
    I thought the SEC was all about the line up the I formation and run it down everybody's throat. That was until Leach got there.
    When Spurrier got there yes it was, and was for quite a few years. However, in relative terms of the day, the SEC was thought of as "pass happy". TN opened it up, GA opened up, and maybe a few others. Of course, the Bamas and the Auburns kept it pretty conventional and conservative.

I only spoke of FL, not the SEC - FL under Spurrier was never a run it down everybody's throat program. A couple of times they may have been a bit better if they were (when Fred Taylor was there).

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 IBleedCrimson's Avatar
    vCash

You're a dumb ***.

motion seconded...
    yeah!

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Scott D View Post
    p.s. shouldn't you be kissing Bob Davie's *** for turning Urban Meyer from a doodler into a coach?
    Maybe, but we should definitely be thanking Utah, where we got our current University President, which probably directly lead to Meyer following him here.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

On a related note, remember after 1999 how the horns ridiculed OUr dink and dunk, gimmick offense? Yeah, the Sooners did some unconventional things that first year (ninjee!) but look at the career passing stats, any of em, and they have all been rewritten since Coach Stoops took over.

Thank you, Coach!

Go Sooners!

Beat UF!

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Crucifax Autumn View Post
    Historically you are correct that Stoops time at Florida led to his embrace of spread style offenses. You are incorrect in saying it came from Florida's offensive strategy though.

He hired Leach due to the headaches he encountered trying to defend Leach's system at Kentucky and hired him to bring it to Oklahoma.
    I never said or implied OK got the spread from FL, what Spurrier ran was nothing like a spread, nor did I say strategy. I said offensive orientation.

You bring up a good point with Stoops having to defend Leach though.