Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valkyrie...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SteelCitySooner's Avatar
    ...a drinkin' town with a football problem
    vCash

Valkyrie...

Awesome movie! Just saw it. Definitely recommend it.
    "I'm just a humble motherf*cker with a big-a$$ d***." -Det. William 'Bunk' Moreland

Olevet Posse Member

vCash

Re: Valkyrie...

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCitySooner View Post
    +1

I thought it was pretty good too.
    He's coming for you

vCash

I saw it tonight as well in Muskogee.

It was great, but I didn't think Tom Cruise was very believable as an old-world Prussian aristocrat.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCitySooner View Post
    I'm curious and will prolly see it eventually, especially because I understand they went to extraordinary lengths to get all the material culture of wartime Germany right. Here's what I'd like to know from someone who's seen it.

Did Von Stauffenberg come across as a person with whom the viewer sympathizes?

See, my theory has always been that Von S. and his co-conspirators set out to take down Hitler not so much because of his evil deeds, but more because they resented the fact a low-class Austrian guy was running their country and mismanaging the war -- which was unacceptable to Prussian sensibilities.

Put another way, did they portray Von S. as some sort of admirably righteous person who set out to kill Hitler because the world needed him dead, or was it more because Von S. was offended that Hitler was mucking things up to the point Germany could'nt hope to win the war?

How about it?
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    I saw it tonight as well in Muskogee.

It was great, but I didn't think Tom Cruise was very believable as an old-world Prussian aristocrat.
    color me in disbelief.
    “someone's controlling the vibes!"--apache dropout

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Apparently, they take the third route and show that killing Hitler was necessary for actualization of Thetan-self.

vCash

Homey wants to kill the fuhrer in a beautiful righteous, sacrificial death.

does the world need YET another Nazi film?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by King Crimson View Post
    Homey wants to kill the fuhrer in a beautiful righteous, sacrificial death.

No, not at all. Hitler definitely needed killin.' I just wanna know if Von S. was portrayed as some kind of saintly person who was bent on killing a monster, or simply a guy who was ticked the dictator had messed up the war.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okla-homey View Post
    No, not at all. Hitler definitely needed killin.' I just wanna know if Von S. was portrayed as some kind of saintly person who was bent on killing a monster, or simply a guy who was ticked the dictator had messed up the war.
    that's not what you say above, you make a case based in social class/aristocracy.

which i think is more interesting.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by King Crimson View Post
    that's not what you say above, you make a case based in social class/aristocracy.

which i think is more interesting.
    Well, I think in truth it was probably a bit of both. I just hope for accuracy's sake, Cruise played him that way, and not as some heroic knightly person who took one for the team in conspiring to slay a dragon.

vCash

though, it's WWI....you should check out Renoir's "the Grand Illusion" for prussian aristocracy. it's also the movie that along with the great escape Hogan's Heroes is based on, for better or worse.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member LosAngelesSooner's Avatar
    Rubbing elbows with all the beautiful people.
    vCash

So funny to see how different people react to different movies.

The general consensus I've heard is that the movie is awful and that Tom Cruise is painfully unwatchable.

Of course this movie was finished with shooting over 2 years ago and they've had it shelved and been doing desperate re-shoots and re-edits on it during that 2 years in an effort to save the film, so I'm not surprised that's what I've heard.

I just think its interesting that you guys actually liked it.

As for me, I just got back from Curious Case of Benjamin Buttons...I liked it.
    Reluctantly double secret Ninja-Maverick member of the Posse (in protest). That's right...Ice...Man...I AM dangerous.

"You have to be aware that there's a line where legitimate concerns begin to collapse into paranoid fantasy." - David Frum, Conservative author and speechwriter for President George W. Bush

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by LosAngelesSooner View Post

The general consensus I've heard is that the movie is awful and that Tom Cruise is painfully unwatchable.

Of course this movie was finished with shooting over 2 years ago and they've had it shelved and been doing desperate re-shoots and re-edits on it during that 2 years in an effort to save the film, so I'm not surprised that's what I've heard.

Huh. Because I remember Cruise being kicked off German bases less than 2 years ago while filming.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Tulsa_Fireman's Avatar
    vCash

It made Fox News' 10 worst movie list.

...before it released. Honestly.
    People don't know what it is to be a champion.

Oklahoma INVENTED it.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okla-homey View Post
    I'm curious and will prolly see it eventually, especially because I understand they went to extraordinary lengths to get all the material culture of wartime Germany right. Here's what I'd like to know from someone who's seen it.

Did Von Stauffenberg come across as a person with whom the viewer sympathizes?

See, my theory has always been that Von S. and his co-conspirators set out to take down Hitler not so much because of his evil deeds, but more because they resented the fact a low-class Austrian guy was running their country and mismanaging the war -- which was unacceptable to Prussian sensibilities.

Put another way, did they portray Von S. as some sort of admirably righteous person who set out to kill Hitler because the world needed him dead, or was it more because Von S. was offended that Hitler was mucking things up to the point Germany could'nt hope to win the war?

How about it?
    I've also always thought Von Stauffenberg acted for the reasons you mentioned. The movie portrayed him as someone who was loyal to his country and aghast at the crimes being committed by Hitler. He and the co-conspirators comes across as self-righteous (not in a bad way) anti-Nazis who want to end the war and make peace.

What the movie doesn't mention is that the real aim of Von Stauffenberg and the conspirators was to end the war on the western front and develop an alliance with the United States and UK to fight the Soviet Union. Instead, the impression is that they're anti-war (in a manner of speaking) and are simply seeking a universal peace.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member LosAngelesSooner's Avatar
    Rubbing elbows with all the beautiful people.
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Sooner View Post
    Huh. Because I remember Cruise being kicked off German bases less than 2 years ago while filming.
    Re-shoots.

Quote Originally Posted by Tulsa_Fireman View Post
    It made Fox News' 10 worst movie list.

...before it released. Honestly.
    Early press screenings. They do a lot of focus group screenings, test group screenings, and industry screenings before a film is "finished." Then they do press screenings to try and get buzz going.

In this case...it's not working.
    Reluctantly double secret Ninja-Maverick member of the Posse (in protest). That's right...Ice...Man...I AM dangerous.

"You have to be aware that there's a line where legitimate concerns begin to collapse into paranoid fantasy." - David Frum, Conservative author and speechwriter for President George W. Bush

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SteelCitySooner's Avatar
    ...a drinkin' town with a football problem
    vCash

I just really enjoyed the movie and thought I walked away with some knowledge I didn't have before; and admittedly I'm not up on the history of that time and event.

***Spoiler alert**** (if you don't know history)

I need to learn how to black out text.

I think there was an implication of righteousness on behalf of Von S, but it was stated he was doing it for a loyalty to Germany, as Hitler was running the country into the ground. You'll probably be dissappointed though, as Von S. was portrayed as someone you sympothized with. You felt bad when he and his conspiritors were outed and executed.

I thought Cruise did a good job. I remember hearing about Cruise catching a lot of flak initially from the German gub't because of Scientology and its cult status in Germany. Now I hear that the German's are welcoming Cruise because of his portrayal of Von S., who in Germany is considered a national hero.
    "I'm just a humble motherf*cker with a big-a$$ d***." -Det. William 'Bunk' Moreland

Olevet Posse Member

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Harry Beanbag's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by LosAngelesSooner View Post

From the moment I first saw the trailer for Valkyrie back in the summer, I was flabbergasted at the casting of Tom f'n Cruise in this role. Who thought that was a good idea? Hollywood is obviously excellent at making movies, duh, but it's amazing how much they can also screw up incredible stories, that could almost tell themselves, so badly. Pearl Harbor and Windtalkers immediately come to mind.

vCash

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Beanbag View Post
    From the moment I first saw the trailer for Valkyrie back in the summer, I was flabbergasted at the casting of Tom f'n Cruise in this role. Who thought that was a good idea? Hollywood is obviously excellent at making movies, duh, but it's amazing how much they can also screw up incredible stories, that could almost tell themselves, so badly. Pearl Harbor and Windtalkers immediately come to mind.

Isn't it Cruise's production?
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010