Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tulsans...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Tulsans...

How do you feel about the move to keep TRMC/OSUMC open?

I realize folks who are loyal to the Pink Castle, the John or Hillcrest don't think the demise of the place affects them, but it seems to me if folks don't want pawpaw's roomie (when he goes in for his knee replacement) to be a gunshot victim, mebbe they oughtta care about whether the place stays open.

Thoughts?

"Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

vCash

Re: Tulsans...

the former Osteopathic place? it's closing?

i'm not quite sure what you are saying...

i don't think i've been there since i broke my arm when i was 4

SoonerFans.com Elite Member IB4OU2's Avatar
    vCash

Keep it open. Easy access for the John 3:16/Central library residents.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 LilSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Hey what about Southcrest!
    "Yea, and the shins of the wicked were smote."-Lil 22:18

and behold I looked in the sky, and saw a rider on a pale horse, the rider's name was death, and Lil Sooner followed after,....Revalations

vCash

Southcrest can suck it.

It needs to stay open. As sketchy as it is, it does have merit. Just, you know, never take me there.
    "If you don't become an actor you'll never be a factor" - Lupe Fiasco

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    the former Osteopathic place? it's closing?

i'm not quite sure what you are saying...

i don't think i've been there since i broke my arm when i was 4

yep.

Here's the down and dirty. A few years ago Ardent Corp. out of Nashville acquired Hillcrest, Southcrest, the said downtown hospital formerly know as Tulsa Regional Medical Center, and some other odds and ends, including Bayley in Owasso. Ardent is a for-profit health corp. and they subsequently decided to jettison TRMC because it consistently lost money.

oSu bought it to help keep their medical school afloat and hung a big Poke sign on it. Booger Pickens even kicked in some dough on the downlow.

Now, the Stoolwater braintrust have come to realize they can't keep it going either and have announced they'll move their osteopathic medicine residency program over to St. Frank's.

That leaves the "public" hospital in downtown Tulsa in dire straights.

Many local politicians have been burning up the turnpike tin-cupping the legislature for money to keep it open so the community around the place has a hospital. A bail-out as it were, but with a promise by the legislature to keep the green flowing because the place can't possibly ever break-even given the demographics of its patient base.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

Remember when Crystal's burned down? Man that sucked.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by LilSooner View Post
    Hey what about Southcrest!

FWIW, Southcrest has become THE place for gastric bypass surgery in Oklahoma. Other than that, meh.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Unforuntately, it's not an issue many know or care very much about. The situation there is a microcosm of the healthcare system as a whole. There's a massive healthcare crisis on the horizon, and nothing will be done about it until its too late.

vCash

I'm partial to TRMC. They saved my life, and my dad used to have hospital rights there. I honestly don't believe there's a finer orthopedic surgeon than the one who fixed my leg. I was supposed to walk with a limp for the rest of my life, but I never had any problems with my leg at all.
    Last edited by SicEmBaylor; 11/25/2008 at 07:26 PM.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

My uncle has been a doctor at Osteopathic/TRMC since I was a kid. I need to find out how this may affect him since I think he does a ton of work outside the hospital anyway.

vCash

I was raised in the place. My father and Uncle both were surgeons there. They trained more Doctors than I can can even begin to remember.

Yeah I hate to see a part of my life as I knew, disappear forever but...I really see no reason to keep it. There is going to be some fallout but I'm betting it's probably time to let it go if nobody can keep it running.

I'd say it's probably just mismanaged and the price it was acquired probably was too much considering it's been mismanaged for so long. I really think lots of our Nations Hospitals nose-dived when they quit being run by Doctors. The same is true for Medical Schools too IMO. Med Schools are loaded with tons of very intelligent people...but there are usually very few Doctors involved. Practical experience is required to become a good Doctor IMO and the harder that is to come by as a Student Doctor...the harder the public is going to have to look for a good Doctor.

What do any of us have to let you know who is really treating you anyway. It's mostly blind luck and word of mouth in most peoples cases. I'm a little blessed in that I know someone in the Profession and have been able to usually avoid a bad Doctor.

Bad Hospitals are just as bad as bad Doctors. You shouldn't go to one unless you have to do so IMO.

I know Homey has quite a bit of info on the Old Osteopathic Haunts...and as someone who has spent a good part of my life running the halls with his Father and Uncle...I hate to see it go...but I hate to see it deteriorate into something even worse too.

I don't think a bailout will work either. Someone will need to find value in that place and decide what it takes to keep it profitable. If it can't be done...I'd rather see the State's dough go to dynamiting it and building a huge Indian Statue there.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by StoopTroup View Post
    I was raised in the place. My father and Uncle both were surgeons there. They trained more Doctors than I can can even begin to remember.

Yeah I hate to see a part of my life as I knew, disappear forever but...I really see no reason to keep it. There is going to be some fallout but I'm betting it's probably time to let it go if nobody can keep it running.

I'd say it's probably just mismanaged and the price it was acquired probably was too much considering it's been mismanaged for so long. I really think lots of our Nations Hospitals nose-dived when they quit being run by Doctors. The same is true for Medical Schools too IMO. Med Schools are loaded with tons of very intelligent people...but there are usually very few Doctors involved. Practical experience is required to become a good Doctor IMO and the harder that is to come by as a Student Doctor...the harder the public is going to have to look for a good Doctor.

What do any of us have to let you know who is really treating you anyway. It's mostly blind luck and word of mouth in most peoples cases. I'm a little blessed in that I know someone in the Profession and have been able to usually avoid a bad Doctor.

Bad Hospitals are just as bad as bad Doctors. You shouldn't go to one unless you have to do so IMO.

I know Homey has quite a bit of info on the Old Osteopathic Haunts...and as someone who has spent a good part of my life running the halls with his Father and Uncle...I hate to see it go...but I hate to see it deteriorate into something even worse too.

I don't think a bailout will work either. Someone will need to find value in that place and decide what it takes to keep it profitable. If it can't be done...I'd rather see the State's dough go to dynamiting it and building a huge Indian Statue there.
    Did you know a Dr. Battenfield?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 LilSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okla-homey View Post
    FWIW, Southcrest has become THE place for gastric bypass surgery in Oklahoma. Other than that, meh.
    I can't believe that this is about to happen, but Homey you are actually wrong.

Dr. G is no longer at Southcrest he and Dr. Kirk have gone to Bailey and Southcrest no longer does gastric bypasses it's been a year and half since they stopped. (totally tooting my own horn, but I built his surgical pack that he uses)

They are also no longer apart of Ardent. They were bought by Triad at least 3 years ago and CHS bought them last year. BIGGEST CLUSTER EVAR.

I love Southcrest because it's where I live one day out of the week. They also have a lot of cool people and they help me keep a roof over my head.

It's the only hospital I have in Tulsa I have no thoughts on the TRMC/OSU thingy
    "Yea, and the shins of the wicked were smote."-Lil 22:18

and behold I looked in the sky, and saw a rider on a pale horse, the rider's name was death, and Lil Sooner followed after,....Revalations

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    I'm partial to TRMC. They saved my life, and my dad used to have hospital rights there. I honestly don't believe there's a final orthopedic surgeon than the one who fixed my leg. I was supposed to walk with a limp for the rest of my life, but I never had any problems with my leg at all.
    He obviosly was a fine orthpopedic surgeon. However, the finest orthopedic surgeons in the world are at Womack Army Medical Center at Ft. Bragg, NC. Home of the 82d Airborne Division. 500+ parachute injury induced fractures per month keeps them razor sharp. I have a story similar to yours Sic. A fine Army Orthopedic surgeon put my fight femur back together when it snapped (audibly) like a tree branch, and a spiral fracture extended up into the hip joint. I was running PT again in 4 months.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okla-homey View Post
    A fine Army Orthopedic surgeon put my fight femur back together when it snapped (audibly) like a tree branch, and a spiral fracture extended up into the hip joint. I was running PT again in 4 months.
    Yep, that's exactly what happened to me. My femur snapped like a twig.
    I gotta hand it to your army bone doctor, I was in a body cast from the waist down for at least 4 months not to mention the time I was in the hospital, surgery, and physical therapy.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by LilSooner View Post
    I can't believe that this is about to happen, but Homey you are actually wrong.

Dr. G is no longer at Southcrest he and Dr. Kirk have gone to Bailey and Southcrest no longer does gastric bypasses it's been a year and half since they stopped. (totally tooting my own horn, but I built his surgical pack that he uses)

They are also no longer apart of Ardent. They were bought by Triad at least 3 years ago and CHS bought them last year. BIGGEST CLUSTER EVAR.

I love Southcrest because it's where I live one day out of the week. They also have a lot of cool people and they help me keep a roof over my head.

It's the only hospital I have in Tulsa I have no thoughts on the TRMC/OSU thingy
    I stand corrected. I forgot Ardent shed Southcrest too. Southcrest used to be the place for the gastric bypass dealio. FWIW, I hope that Bailey move works out. I hear tell Bailey is hemorraging green too. Of course, they're still trying to get it established and what not so it might turn out to make money in the out years. Lawd knows folks gotta have somewhere to turn when its time to replumb their innards in order to lose weight.

vCash

That name Dr. Kirk sounds really familiar.

vCash

Yeah evidently my dad is friends with Dr. Kirk. I guess that's where I heard the name.

vCash

Thumbs up Re: Tulsans...

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    Did you know a Dr. Battenfield?
    Harold. Yes.