SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Good Morning...Father of the Tractor is Born

November 24, 1849: Father of the tractor is born

159 years ago today, John Froelich, the inventor of the first gasoline-powered farm tractor, was born in Froelich, Iowa. Froelich's tractor, completed in 1892, featured a Van Duzen one-cylinder gasoline engine mounted on wooden beams to operate a threshing machine.

Froelich manufactured several more tractors of this type during the year, and in September shipped one of his engine-powered tractors to a farm in Langford, South Dakota, where it was employed in agriculture activity for the first time.

Froehlich mounted a gasoline engine, built by the Van Duzen Gas and Gasoline Engine Co. of Cincinnati, on a Robinson running gear equipped with a traction arrangement of his own manufacture. The first gasoline tractor of record that was an operating success. It completed a 50-day threshing run...pulled the thresher over difficult terrain and operated in temperatures of -3 to 100 F

Froelich established the "Waterloo Gasoline Traction Engine Company" in Waterloo, Iowa, in 1893, and began to manufacture tractors on a larger scale.

Froehlich, IA

In 1918, the Waterloo Traction Engine Company was purchased by the "John Deere Plow Company." John Deere, a long-established plow company, mass-produced gasoline-powered tractors based on Froelich's designs.

In the 1920's, American artist Grant Wood sketched this house near Froelich Iowa that became the background of one of the most important American works of art.

During the 1920s and 1930s, tractors rapidly changed the face of agriculture in America, and many traditional subsistence farmers were pushed off their land by the encroachment of large agricultural interests who utilized the efficient new farming technology.

"Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TUSooner's Avatar
    Inside your monitor. Hit it with a hammer to release me and get 3 wishes.
    vCash

Re: Good Morning...Father of the Tractor is Born

Dean bait.
    You tell me it's the institution. Well, you know, you'd better free your mind instead.
    (Shoo-bee doo-wah)

Sooner Starter
    Football's godforsaken wasteland -- ACC country!
    vCash

Congratulations Herr Froelich! This post adds one to my post count!
    OU is about winning championships!!! osu is about whining about OU winning those championships!!! -- SoonerKnight, 10/31/2007

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jimminy Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

Nothing runs like a Froelich!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

IBTRF5
    I'm not happy until you're not happy.

Administrator
    vCash

Every time I climb up into the cab of my brandy new John Deere 7230 I think about ol' John Froehlich.....

Actually, I just think about how far tractor technology has come - and yet how much it still resembles some of the early stuff. So many components haven't changed in decades because they work. Now, if somebody could just invent a tractor that didn't ride like a .... tractor.

vCash

I would like to add that most farm equipment historians consider Hart-Parr of Charles City Iowa to be the most significant early tractor company rather than these guys.
    For the good old American lifestyle: For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jimminy Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by royalfan5 View Post
    farm equipment historians
    Talk about a rowdy bunch!

vCash

I got to ride on some "Steam Engine" tractors at a festival in Bird City, Kansas a few years back. Kewl.

Dean, do you use GPS?