Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator
    vCash

What past loss hurt you the most?

For me, it was the loss to the Tarheels in the 1990 NCAA tournament. I can still see it like it was yesterday. Rick Fox scored off of the inbound pass in the closing seconds...

And, it was in Austin!!

About 4 or 5 years ago, the Lakers were in town to play the Nuggets. Teams that come to town stay at a hotel that was across the street from my old office. I was coming back from lunch, and it just so happened that the Lakers bus was unloading.

I stopped for a minute and watched the players getting off the bus. It was kind of a surreal moment. No fanfare, no media...just me. I watched as Kobe got off, then Shaq...It was a pretty cool moment for a big NBA fan.

Then it happened. Rick Fox got off. It was as if my life flashed in front of my eyes. I went back to the moment in time that he made that shot. It ruined my day.

To this day, I cannot see his face without thinking about that. When Oz was on HBO, I watched it regularly. Then he shows up in the cast. For a little while, it was as if someone was playing a cruel joke.

Re: What past loss hurt you the most?

Indiana in 02. We were better than all three of the teams in the final four that year.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sooner04's Avatar
    vCash

For me, it was the loss to the Tarheels in the 1990 NCAA tournament. I can still see it like it was yesterday. Rick Fox scored off of the inbound pass in the closing seconds...
    That was a bad one. Nothing like being the #1 team in the country and getting to play two road games in a hostile environment. Not to mention that the team we'll play in game two is an underachieving bunch with lots more talent than us. [spit]

For me, it was Senior Day 2003. We're in line for a #1 seed, and Texas is coming to town. We implode in the second half and blow a big lead. We're rolling, then Ebi Ere somehow misses a dunk and T. J. Ford takes over. Texas ends up winning at the end.

We win the Big 12 Tournament, and still get a #1 seed, but it's in the Albany Region. Texas, because they beat us twice, get the coveted #1 seed in the San Antonio Region. They parlay that into a run to the Final Four, while we get hammered by Syracuse.

We beat Texas, we go to San Antonio. More than likely, we go to the Final Four in New Orleans, the hometown of our two stud guards: Hollis Price and Quannas White. But no.

2002 to Indiana was unbearable. If I'd been old enough to truly appreciate the '88 loss, it would definitely be #1. I've got family members who still don't like talking about that game.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

sadists. wtf?

that 1990 loss was a killer. i watched that game in a motel in Richfield, Utah. i took a swim in the leaf covered pool the next morning as the sun rose so pissed i couldn't even stand it.

88, no doubt. 90 was tough.

86 loss to Memphis State in the round of 8 was brutal, too. i couldn't even talk for a few hours. just the idea that OU would play in the Final Four at that time was unreal. ESPN honks beat up on Billy all the time...and to lose to criminals like Dana Kirk and Keith Lee...

the TJ Ford loss at home on Senior Day on the radio was bad, too.

honorable mention to the 99 loss at ATM to close out the season, another radio killer. we almost don't make the NCAA because of that.
    “someone's controlling the vibes!"--apache dropout

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post

For me, it was Senior Day 2003. We're in line for a #1 seed, and Texas is coming to town. We implode in the second half and blow a big lead. We're rolling, then Ebi Ere somehow misses a dunk and T. J. Ford takes over. Texas ends up winning at the end.

We win the Big 12 Tournament, and still get a #1 seed, but it's in the Albany Region. Texas, because they beat us twice, get the coveted #1 seed in the San Antonio Region. They parlay that into a run to the Final Four, while we get hammered by Syracuse.

We beat Texas, we go to San Antonio. More than likely, we go to the Final Four in New Orleans, the hometown of our two stud guards: Hollis Price and Quannas White. But no.

At least we got beat by the eventual champion in '03 (not that it softens the blow much).

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by King Crimson View Post
    sadists. wtf?
    What can I say? It's been a long week before a big game.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    At least we got beat by the eventual champion in '03 (not that it softens the blow much).
    people don't remember but our very own Eskimo Joe Aggies had a double digit lead on that Syracuse team in the first round.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sooner04's Avatar
    vCash

people don't remember but our very own Eskimo Joe Aggies had a double digit lead on that Syracuse team in the first round.
    2nd round. And I think they were up by close to 20.

People also forget that Syracuse barely eeked by Auburn in the Sweet 16. They cured what ailed them by then, because they undressed our asses two days later. We were completely inept.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post
    2nd round. And I think they were up by close to 20.

People also forget that Syracuse barely eeked by Auburn in the Sweet 16. They cured what ailed them by then, because they undressed our asses two days later. We were completely inept.
    they had us/Kelvin flummoxed with the zone. we couldn't even start our offense inside the timeline and usually with about 15 seconds left on the shot clock.

i usually defend Kelvin and hate the popular "outcoached" criticism and could live or die without the outright manlove ESPN gives to Boeheim who is a "bubble team" with about 12 wins...but we were schooled that game.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OUmillenium's Avatar
    vCash

Yikes, where to start...

1. 88 KU
    2. 87 Iowa (OT), loss after leading by 20 points
    3. 90 UNC - I have hated (not really ;>) Rick Fox ever since
    4. 91? Arkansas - when Brent Price and co got crushed
    5. Multiple Kelvin losses
    Here lies Lester Moor
    4 slugs from a .44
    No Lester no more

That's no moon...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 sooner518's Avatar
    vCash

Indiana in 02. We were so much better than that ****ing team. Tom Coverdale can eat my ***!
    Quote Originally Posted by bri
    NOW, WITNESS THE ORANGE POWER OF THIS FULLY OPERATIONAL HALF-EMPTY STADIUM!!!!!

Administrator
    vCash

they had us/Kelvin flummoxed with the zone. we couldn't even start our offense inside the timeline and usually with about 15 seconds left on the shot clock.

i usually defend Kelvin and hate the popular "outcoached" criticism and could live or die without the outright manlove ESPN gives to Boeheim who is a "bubble team" with about 12 wins...but we were schooled that game.
    Boeheim won because of Carmelo. I'm sure he felt like a high school girl getting dumped when Carmelo announced he was leaving for the NBA. Melo had better games in the tournament that year, but his double-double against us didn't help.

Didn't we turn the ball over a ton too?

We playin on the moon bitch, don't call me
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    Indiana in 02. We were so much better than that ****ing team. Tom Coverdale can eat my ***!
    what made it even worse was just how much we all loved that particular group. What a fun team that was.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Lott's Bandana's Avatar
    vCash

NCAA Tourney Final - 1988 Kansas Home Game

We'd already beaten them twice that season....I still look for that banner in the LNC rafters, it still ain't there.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 sooner518's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hella Sideburns View Post
    what made it even worse was just how much we all loved that particular group. What a fun team that was.
    and the fact that we shot sooooo terribly that game. We couldnt hit a 3 to save our lives.
    Quote Originally Posted by bri
    NOW, WITNESS THE ORANGE POWER OF THIS FULLY OPERATIONAL HALF-EMPTY STADIUM!!!!!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

1. Texas, 2003
    2. Indiana, 2002
    3. Syracuse, 2003
    4. OSU, 2000 (but, made up for it when we beat them to close the old GIA)

Wasn't born yet for 88, but that would probably be #1 if I remembered it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    I may be wrong but it seems as if we may have gone for a fake PAT once since I've been at Baylor. Although I may have just been drunk and playing Xbox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turd_Ferguson View Post
    Back off of Bob (Barry, Sr.). He's drank more beer, pissed more blood and banged more quiff than all of you numnut's put together.

Sooner All-World
    vCash

to me it was the 02 team losing to Indiana, Flippin' Indiana. OU had already pated Maryland earlier in the year and OU was by far the best team left.

88' I was in 8th grade and I had just been lit up by the Elk City Elks baseball team and didn't know the final of the OU/KU game until after I got home around 11pm that night.

I barely remember the loss to Dr. Tom though I recall most the players off that OU roster. I used to fancy myself a smaller Choo Kennedy with my underhand layup over the front of the rim.

the Syracuse loss was just embarrassing. They pants our Sooners in that game

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Women: OU-UConn 2002

Men: OU-Syracuse 2003

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jimminy Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OUstud View Post
    1. Texas, 2003
    2. Indiana, 2002
    3. Syracuse, 2003
    That's probably my top 3, too.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Harry Beanbag's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Lott's Bandana View Post
    NCAA Tourney Final - 1988 Kansas Home Game

We'd already beaten them twice that season....I still look for that banner in the LNC rafters, it still ain't there.

Yep, and it's not even close. That is my most painful loss ever, in any sport.