Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Crimsontothecore's Avatar
    vCash

I changed my mind

Remember when there was discussion over whether or not the new NBA team in OKC should have an "Oklahoma" name or an "Oklahoma City Name"?
    I was quite vocal about my belief that the team should be the Oklahoma______ since folks from all over the state would be supporting it.

Well, upon further review I would like to say I've changed my mind. I'm now quite happy with Oklahoma City taking FULL ownership of that...(cough)..team.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: I changed my mind

taking shots at one of the youngest teams in NBA history going through tough times in the new city... please, keep your support to yourself, the thunder are better off without fairweather fans.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by starclassic tama View Post
    taking shots at one of the youngest teams in NBA history going through tough times in the new city... please, keep your support to yourself, the thunder are better off without fairweather fans.
    I'm not a fair weather fan because I'm not a fan at all. I just think it's hilarious that OKC had the "It's OUR team" attitude when a name was being decided and now they are an embarrassment that nobody else would want to claim. Kinda like a kid fighting over the last cookie and when he wins he looks down and there's a booger on it.

"Tough times in a new city"? what's so tough about it? Is the court a different size than it was in Seattle? Are the goals higher? If they think things are tough now, just wait till the new wears off and see how many seats are full when they suck in 3 years.

vCash

an embarassment nobody would want to claim? except for the 19,000 that show up and claim them every night? this thread is a lame excuse for some trash talking. honestly i don't know what you are talking about with regards to the court and rims. tough times refers to the team losing and firing the coach 13 games into the season in a new city. and i wouldn't bet on them sucking 3 years from now, if you watch basketball which it appears you don't, you would realize that a basketball team only needs one player here and there or a player like durant to mature and turn things around very quickly.

for an example, the miami heat won the NBA title in 2005. that is the highest title of basketball a team can achieve. fast forward less than 3 years, and they are 15-67, worse than the thunder last year. so congrats on being an idiot, nice thread.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsontothecore View Post
    I'm not a fair weather fan because I'm not a fan at all. I just think it's hilarious that OKC had the "It's OUR team" attitude when a name was being decided and now they are an embarrassment that nobody else would want to claim. Kinda like a kid fighting over the last cookie and when he wins he looks down and there's a booger on it.

"Tough times in a new city"? what's so tough about it? Is the court a different size than it was in Seattle? Are the goals higher? If they think things are tough now, just wait till the new wears off and see how many seats are full when they suck in 3 years.
    i disagree with 100% of your posts, on every topic, and now i can say that trend continues. 13 games into year 1 and you are already talking crap. well done, sir.

just stick to bashing osu. atleast i have a shred of respect for you on that topic.

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

Remember when there was discussion over whether or not the new NBA team in OKC should have an "Oklahoma" name or an "Oklahoma City Name"?
    I was quite vocal about my belief that the team should be the Oklahoma______ since folks from all over the state would be supporting it.

Well, upon further review I would like to say I've changed my mind. I'm now quite happy with Oklahoma City taking FULL ownership of that...(cough)..team.
    I think your posts in here reveal your real motive behind wanting to take the "City" out of the name... ...a deep-seated resentment towards and dislike for Oklahoma City. Actually, we all knew that was the real motive, anyway. That's OK. We're still managing to put 18,000+ in the house for the ****tiest hoop in the league. We'll be OK without your "support."
    Well, crap.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by birddog View Post
    i disagree with 100% of your posts, on every topic, and now i can say that trend continues. 13 games into year 1 and you are already talking crap. well done, sir.

just stick to bashing osu. atleast i have a shred of respect for you on that topic.
    Now how on earth am I going to sleep tonight knowing that you disagree with my posts.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedJed View Post
    I think your posts in here reveal your real motive behind wanting to take the "City" out of the name... ...a deep-seated resentment towards and dislike for Oklahoma City. Actually, we all knew that was the real motive, anyway. That's OK. We're still managing to put 18,000+ in the house for the ****tiest hoop in the league. We'll be OK without your "support."
    Thanks for the analysis Dr. Phil. Actually, I don't dislike OKC at all. It seems that some of the players aren't happy about being there from what I've read.

You're right though, the seats are full...for now. Unfortunately, the honeymoon will end and people will get tired of showing up to watch another loss.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Ardmore_Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

I don't like the Thunder, and I love OKC. I just never wanted an NBA team in the state, or any pro teams for that matter (unless it is an NHL team). To much of a chance of taking people away from OU/OSU/Tulsa/ORU basketball games, but it seems that this hasn't been true so far.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted...

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

Dr. Phil is a different poster on here. I go by BigRedJed. Or Asshead, if you're PG.

Regarding the player dissatisfaction, much of that had to do with PJ, from what I understand. Also, I think players possibly felt a bit jerked around in the move. And frankly, those who had played in Seattle and developed friends, contacts, whatever, were going to be difficult to win over. Not to say that they can't be won over, only that it will be an ongoing project. Leaving a great city like Seattle has to be much more difficult than leaving a place like New Orleans or probably 25 other NBA towns, hired guns or not. Hornets players, for the most part, LOVED it here, and that was not lip service. The circumstances of the two moves made it much harder for Sonics players to warm to the city than Hornets players.

It is well established that I'm a huge OKC homer, but I will surely admit that trading Seattle for OKC is at the very least a culture shock. I think the thing that is important is for players to see not only that OKC's not as bad as they had assumed, but that it's got a surprising lot going for it.

Apparently, a couple of the players are truly enjoying it here, except for the frustrating play. And I'm not just talking about Desmond Mason.

But in the end, what is really important to players is to win. The current state of play is probably driving most of any dissatisfaction, and canning PJ is one aspect of turning that around. The next piece to the puzzle will be make good trades, and good draft picks in the off-season. They also need to find the right coach for the long term, whether that be Brooks or someone else. Player dissatisfaction will work itself out through personnel moves, plain and simple.
    Well, crap.

vCash

This is the first time I've been able to come into the OKC Thunder forum. I wish the team the best if only because I share a love for the Sooners with the other posters in this particular forum and I'd like you guys to feel the excitement of having a winning NBA team in your hometown. Otherwise, I think I'll have to stay out of here...I don't want my bitterness for having my beloved Sonics gone (no matter who I blame - the lame local government in Seattle; Clay Bennett; David Stern...it doesn't matter they're gone) at all cloud my love for the Sooners!

BEAT THE POKES!!! BOOMER SOONER!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedJed View Post
    Dr. Phil is a different poster on here. I go by BigRedJed. Or Asshead, if you're PG.

Regarding the player dissatisfaction, much of that had to do with PJ, from what I understand. Also, I think players possibly felt a bit jerked around in the move. And frankly, those who had played in Seattle and developed friends, contacts, whatever, were going to be difficult to win over. Not to say that they can't be won over, only that it will be an ongoing project. Leaving a great city like Seattle has to be much more difficult than leaving a place like New Orleans or probably 25 other NBA towns, hired guns or not. Hornets players, for the most part, LOVED it here, and that was not lip service. The circumstances of the two moves made it much harder for Sonics players to warm to the city than Hornets players.

It is well established that I'm a huge OKC homer, but I will surely admit that trading Seattle for OKC is at the very least a culture shock. I think the thing that is important is for players to see not only that OKC's not as bad as they had assumed, but that it's got a surprising lot going for it.

Apparently, a couple of the players are truly enjoying it here, except for the frustrating play. And I'm not just talking about Desmond Mason.

But in the end, what is really important to players is to win. The current state of play is probably driving most of any dissatisfaction, and canning PJ is one aspect of turning that around. The next piece to the puzzle will be make good trades, and good draft picks in the off-season. They also need to find the right coach for the long term, whether that be Brooks or someone else. Player dissatisfaction will work itself out through personnel moves, plain and simple.
    Can't disagree with anything you said. When I first heard some players were less then happy about being here I couldn't help but wonder if they had been influenced by Charles Barkley. I do remember hearing a radio interview with Nick Collison right before the first game. The interviewer asked him if he was excited about being here since this is Big12 country and he has some familiarity with the area from his KU days. He didn't give the expected response. I don't recall his exact words but he basically answered the question by saying how much he liked Seattle. I thought that was pretty classless.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerus's Avatar
    vCash

Talk to me in five years, chump...

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rainiersooner View Post
    This is the first time I've been able to come into the OKC Thunder forum. I wish the team the best if only because I share a love for the Sooners with the other posters in this particular forum and I'd like you guys to feel the excitement of having a winning NBA team in your hometown. Otherwise, I think I'll have to stay out of here...I don't want my bitterness for having my beloved Sonics gone (no matter who I blame - the lame local government in Seattle; Clay Bennett; David Stern...it doesn't matter they're gone) at all cloud my love for the Sooners!

BEAT THE POKES!!! BOOMER SOONER!
    Yeah, I wouldn't have the heart either. I totally feel for the Seattle FANS. They got jobbed. The city government itself, and the largely apathetic population in general, got just about what they deserved. They could have kept that team, and should have kept that team.

But all of that is over. Hopefully Seattle comes around politically and finds a way to get a team deal put together, and hopefully it won't be ugly and at the expense of another city again, though that seems the most likely scenario.
    Well, crap.

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

Can't disagree with anything you said. When I first heard some players were less then happy about being here I couldn't help but wonder if they had been influenced by Charles Barkley. I do remember hearing a radio interview with Nick Collison right before the first game. The interviewer asked him if he was excited about being here since this is Big12 country and he has some familiarity with the area from his KU days. He didn't give the expected response. I don't recall his exact words but he basically answered the question by saying how much he liked Seattle. I thought that was pretty classless.
    I actually, by pure chance, ended up sitting next to Nick in a bar after a game a couple of weeks ago. He was there, with a friend of his (a guy from OU who had gone to work for the Sonics in Seattle), and the bar only had a half-dozen or so people in it, none of whom knew who he was, or even that he was a player. We ended up chatting for a good 45 minutes about everything EXCEPT what was going on on the court. Big 12 hoop, places we both knew in Lawrence, the way folks were treating him here, stuff like that.

Because of my job and from fan events I had minor dealings with most of the Hornets players while they were here, and have met a few Thunder players since they have been here. During all of that time I have always been impressed with how generally nice and friendly they all are, but there is always a wall, you know? It's friendly like a hotel desk clerk. They may genuinely be enjoying the conversation, but they're still at work. Even in social situations.

But Nick seemed absolutely unguarded. It was pretty much just four guys sitting at a bar chatting. He enlightened me about where those initial comments came from, the frustration he had felt at the time, etc. I don't think it would be right of me to repeat it, but it totally made sense. Part of it is that he really did like Seattle. And who could blame him? I ask that only of people who have actually spent time in Seattle, which is a great town.

But he made it really clear that he was enjoying it well enough here, and I don't think it was an act. He pointed out that he grew up in Iowa, and played college ball in Kansas, so it's not like this was a huge culture shock. He said it felt like home because of that, and he truly did love the way OKC fans were treating him. He also said really bluntly something along the lines of "look, I can gripe and moan about my situation, but it would be silly. I'm lucky that I have a job, and a great job at that."

But you could tell the state the team is in had him bummed.

Personally, I think he might just wear his heart on his sleeve more than a lot of guys, and said what was on his mind -- probably all of their minds -- when the move was announced. Witness the obvious frustration in his post game comments after craptacular team play. Dude says what's on his mind, and that's fair.

I think the guy just likes winning, hates losing, and frankly busts his *** more than just about anybody on the team. Personally, I hope he's one of the ones that stays here long-term.
    Well, crap.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerus's Avatar
    vCash

Collison is a definite keeper IMO, I just love to watch a player that gives that type of effort...to me that is worth the price of admission...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Dio's Avatar
    vCash

This message is hidden because Crimsontothecore is on your ignore list.
    This is your best post yet.
    "ESPN and Texas are now one and the same." -Stewart Mandel

vCash

so if you aren't a fan at all and don't care, why were you vocal about wanting the team to be Oklahoma instead of Oklahoma City?

vCash

just curious crimsontothecore, what are you thoughts now?
    "I thought we were going to win," Mack Brown said. "That shows you how crazy this game is, or how clueless I am as a coach."