Top Chef - New York City

“Top Chef” isn’t resting on its well-deserved reputation for being one of TV’s best reality competition shows.

The Bravo hit’s “Top Chef: New York” edition, debuting at 9 p.m. Wednesday, adds just enough inventive new flavors to keep it tasty.

“Shooting in New York lent itself to a lot of just amazing things that New York has to offer. You know, a lot of different ethnic cuisines,” judge Tom Colicchio said during a call with journalists Friday. “That sort of worked itself into the challenges at a lot of different locations.”

He’s right—and it lends a lot of excitement to the opener. The culinary melting pot begins immediately, when the cheftestants meet on the New York Harbor ferry going to Governor’s Island, where they compete in the first quick-fire challenge (more on that in a minute). Later in the episode, they visit neighborhood markets all over the city to complete the elimination challenge in which they go head-to-head against each other to make various ethnic dishes.

“I’m very proud of this show for ... really looking at the city,” host and judge Padma Lakshmi, who lives in New York, said during the call. “I was so excited for it to be in New York. I really was.”

Although we don’t see him in the premier, adding excitement to the show this season is Brit Toby Young, author of the book “How to Lose Friends & Alienate People,” who joins Colicchio, Lakshmi and Gail Simmons as judges. The tell-it-like-it-is-author brings his own spice to the judges’ table, Colicchio said.

“I got many chances to roll my eyes at some of the things that he said,” the chef said. “He was brash. He was opinionated. He was very funny and witty as well.”

Other guest stars this season will be Foo Fighters, Martha Stewart, Jean-Georges, Eric Ripert, and Natasha Richardson.

The cheftestants are global this season, too, coming from wide-ranging backgrounds.

Stefan, an obvious standout, was born in Finland, trained in Switzerland and Germany and now works in the U.S. He’s going to be the guy people love to hate, because he’s good—and he knows it. He immediately bonds with an Italian, Fabio, who is chef-owner of Cafe Firenze in California. Chicago’s Radhika Desai (see pages 18-19), executive chef at Between Boutique Cafe & Lounge, adds to the mix with her Indian background.

Speaking of Desai, let’s talk more about that quick-fire challenge. Being in the Big Apple isn’t the only delightful twist in the show, now in its fifth season.

During the first quick-fire challenge, the 17 competitors are whittled down to eight when they race to peel 15 apples with a paring knife. The four losers then race to fill two cups with perfectly diced apples. The final four then are challenged to make some kind of apple dish in 20 minutes.

Then for the first time ever in a quick-fire challenge, the loser is sent home. Without unpacking; without even seeing the cool “Top Chef” pad in Williamsburg.

“I loved that quick-fire,” Lakshmi said. “It was a long day. It was a hot day, but it was so much fun to watch these guys go at it. You know, it’s a relay race. It was great.”

It looks like fans can expect the same from “Top Chef: New York.”

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: Top Chef - New York City

Some of you homos watch this crap? You people worry me.
    I'm not happy until you're not happy.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner_Havok's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mdklatt View Post
    Some of you homos watch this crap? You people worry me.
    Wanna know how I know KC is ghey?
    If I am right, then religious fundamentalists will not go to Heaven, because there is no Heaven. If THEY are right, then they will not go to Heaven, because they are hypocrites.

-Isaac Asimov

Because I listen to Coldplay?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 NYC Poke's Avatar
    vCash

I like Top Chef, but it's no Project Runway.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KC//CRIMSON View Post
    Because I listen to Coldplay?

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Poke View Post
    I like Top Chef, but it's no Project Runway.
    Ok, I could handle the poke part, but now I am going to have to ask you to stop posting in this thread
    If I am right, then religious fundamentalists will not go to Heaven, because there is no Heaven. If THEY are right, then they will not go to Heaven, because they are hypocrites.

-Isaac Asimov

vCash

I kind of like the next food network star myself, but I doubt anyone will ever be better than Guy.

The new Iron Chef one was lame, now the dude is on Dinner Impossible cause he ain't no Iron Chef.

-Isaac Asimov

I prefer Top Chef because it's strictly about cooking and nothing else.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KC//CRIMSON View Post
    I prefer Top Chef because it's strictly about cooking and nothing else.
    And the fact that awards talent in head to head competition as opposed to who can act the most like their favorite reality TV "star".

While Stephanie won and deserved it, I don't think anybody will be more talented than Blais.
    Boomer Sooner

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

I prefer Hell's Kitchen. I like it when Gordon Ramsey makes narcissistic twenty-somethings cry. Especially the guys.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okla-homey View Post
    I prefer Hell's Kitchen. I like it when Gordon Ramsey makes narcissistic twenty-somethings cry. Especially the guys.
    Same here, that guy cracks me up. Kitchen Nightmares is a pretty good show to watch too.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okla-homey View Post
    I knew this guy who started a Gordon Ramsey thread this one time...

-Isaac Asimov

Brewmaster

vCash

I would eat some beers with Gordon Ramsay.
    ... that's not food.

vCash

I like that guy from Charm City Cakes.

-Isaac Asimov

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jage View Post
    Same here, that guy cracks me up. Kitchen Nightmares is a pretty good show to watch too.
    Hell's Kitchen is good, but the US version of Kitchen Nightmares is a schticky imitation of the original.

Hmm...anybody up for Top Chef: Celebrity Chefs?
    I'm not happy until you're not happy.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHavePride View Post
    I would eat some beers with Gordon Ramsay.
    Eat?

I love Top Chef, but I get too worked up over it. When I disagree with the judges or hate someone that wins, I get really pissed.
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.