Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 47straight's Avatar
    vCash

Protectionist laws/executive orders etc.

There's plenny SO folks who will know about this stuff so I ask:

What is the full extent of our protectionist trade laws, subsidies, tariffs, etc.? I know generally about the corn, sugar, and textiles, but I'd like to learn about more areas. If there are comprehensive sites discussing this, feel free to link. I'm particularly interested in information in effects - jobs, prices - on the domestic market.
    “Some people who attend the University of Oklahoma seem to represent different values than some people who attend the University of Texas.” -- Mr. J. Mcfarland

"[Christian Scott]'s off the team the day of the incident and I guarantee you he won't be back." -- Typical Dallas horn fan

SoonerFans.com Elite Member tommieharris91's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Protectionist laws/executive orders etc.

Tariffs, quotas, and other protectionist measures tend to strengthen the dollar. Right now, that isn't actually a good thing. We currently need the exports to keep people's jobs and buoy GDP.
    "If your dream ain't bigger than you, there's a problem with your dream." -Deion Sanders

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SanJoaquinSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Ask Herbert Hoover. He thought the answer to the 29 crash was protectionism and higher taxes.

effect on jobs? 25% unemployment.
    Ingles solamente (¡no exepciones!)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Chuck Bao's Avatar
    vCash

I'm not sure what you are looking for. If you are more specific, I maybe could help.

The WTO website would be a good place to start and their World Profiles 2008would be a good source.

http://www.wto.org/english/res_e/pub...ofiles08_e.htm

Here is part of the page devoted to US tariffs.