Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Big 3 put their hands out for our money

http://money.cnn.com/2008/11/08/news...d.ap/index.htm

The Democrats talked lots of **** this election about McCain and the GOP being in the pockets of big business, but that doesn't stop the Democratic Majority Leaders from saying "how high" when Detroit asks them to jump. For the second time today, I'm asking of Democrats: what the hell? How can your party accuse the GOP of corporate welfare while your leadership is asking Bush to hand out billions to big business?
    The SF.com Retard Remover...it makes the postards you have on ignore disappear completely:
    http://173.203.71.50/sfcom_retard_remover.user.js

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Harry Beanbag's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Big 3 put their hands out for our money

Accuse your enemies of what you are guilty of. It's in their playbook.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Tulsa_Fireman's Avatar
    vCash

Well, they sure as hell aren't going to blame the unions, a large part of the problem. When the finger of accusation levels, it centers up on the whole stinkin' lot, from top management to Joe Wrenchslinger.

They dug their hole. Let 'em swim in it. It's high time the pendulum of strength swung back toward the corporate end of the spectrum. Toward profits.
    People don't know what it is to be a champion.

Oklahoma INVENTED it.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member OUHOMER's Avatar
    vCash

why not the big 3, Hell there bailing out the big mortgage company's, because of greed.

The mortgage companys screw the public. lets bail them out
    the used car dealers screw the public. lets bail them out

Title of bail out money should be.

If you got greedy and screwed over the public. We will bail you out. It will help all Americans
    Posse Member hoping for middle manager, Yep , I dont know ****

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by C&CDean
    I'm a tolerant mother****er.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Beanbag View Post
    Accuse your enemies of what you are guilty of. It's in their playbook.
    That's in everyone's playbook.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tulsa_Fireman View Post
    Well, they sure as hell aren't going to blame the unions, a large part of the problem.
    Yeah, a bailout of the auto industry is pointless without the unions accepting an 'adjustment' to their CBA. Everyone in Detroit needs to sit down at a table and come to an agreement where everyone cinches up their belts .

Ready for Baseball Season tulsaoilerfan's Avatar
    vCash

Maybe if the car companies would cut out their damn ads every 2 minutes on TV they might have some $ to operate on

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

This almost reminds me of Tulsa tax increase propositions, where everyone needs to get a piece of the pie directly before they'll vote for a tax increase.

Vision 2025 passed because every little area of the county got SOMETHING.

The river tax failed miserably because the areas near the river but not next to the river felt screwed.

The Tulsa Questions 1/2 for road improvement passed overwhelmingly because everybody wants their roads improved.

So yeah, I think people will need to give and take, but everyone will always have their No. 1. priority in mind and emphasize the TAKE and thus, nobody will give... so what's left to take?

vCash

Chapter 11 would be better for GM as it would void the union and dealer contracts. They could dump every brand but Chevy and Caddy, and start moving forward with a new management team.

Chryslers can be broken up, and by broken up I mean Renault/Nissan can take Jeep and the truck building operations. The rest can go to the Chinese or just be fond memories.

Ford needs a better economy to bolster the strides they have been making. Killing Mercury probably wouldn't hurt either.

Auto's are due for a shakeout like Farm Equipment had, with the elimination of 60% of the independent operations. Trying to prolong the past isn't going to help anyone.

From a lobbying perspective people need to remember it isn't just the Democrat leaning UAW that stands to lose a ton, it's also the thousands of redundant car dealers that would likely disappear taking a lot of jobs with them, and that is a group that isn't near a likely to lean democrat.
    For the good old American lifestyle: For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Tulsa_Fireman's Avatar
    vCash

But if that's the natural correction, isn't it a poison pill that'd be best swallowed now instead of delayed at the expense of billions?
    People don't know what it is to be a champion.

Oklahoma INVENTED it.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tulsa_Fireman View Post
    But if that's the natural correction, isn't it a poison pill that'd be best swallowed now instead of delayed at the expense of billions?
    Well yes, but it has always been America's inclination to delay taking their medicine as long as possible.
    Last edited by royalfan5; 11/9/2008 at 06:06 PM. Reason: forgot a word
    For the good old American lifestyle: For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    That's in everyone's playbook.
    It's a plan most lawyers always employ.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 NYC Poke's Avatar
    vCash

I've been working on a case involving a Tier 1 supplier to the OEMs (GM, Chrysler, Ford, etc.). The US automotive industry has been teetering on the brink for some years now. In 2005, a bunch of the Tier 1s went bankrupt, caught between downward pricing pressure from the OEMs and rising commodities costs for things like steel and plastic resin. The OEMs themselves survived this long based on high sales of higher margin SUVs. Between rising gasoline costs and the economic crisis, demand for those model lines just isn't there.

It takes several years for them to introduce model lines. Engineering & Design and tooling costs are astronomical, and significant cash outlays for these must be made in advance of production. They can't respond rapidly to rapidly changing environments, and the demand just isn't there for current model lines.

Addtionally, they are hamstrung by healthcare costs. More cars are now manufactured in Ontario than in Michigan. The reason? It costs the OEMs (and their suppliers, for that matter) $6500/year for healthcare costs per American worker vs. only $900/year for Canadian workers. About $1500 goes into the price of a car manufactured in the US vs. only $186 for one manufactured in Japan.

To the extent this is permitted by NAFTA, I would reluctantly recommend a bailout (Chapter 11 would cripple their suppliers to the extent that the industry as a whole may never recover), but I would precondition anything on assurances of keeping more jobs in the US. This would be couple to winning concessions from the unions, which have become more savvy towards prevailing economic winds and more willing to compromise when they see the writing on the wall.

As for dealers, their caught between declining demand and a decreasing availability of inventory financing due to the banking crisis. They'll be hard hit by this. Frankly, though, it's easier to replace dealerships in the future than it is to rebuild a capital-intensive industry.

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Poke View Post
    It costs the OEMs (and their suppliers, for that matter) $6500/year for healthcare costs per American worker vs. only $900/year for Canadian workers.
    Man, I can't imagine why that would be the case.

vCash

GD it, Obama, WTF? "Change," my ***.

Will SOMEBODY please take a stand against the use of taxpayer dollars to prop up inflated assets?

President-elect Barack Obama used his first post-election visit with President George W. Bush to raise the prospects of a rescue plan for the industry
    http://www.freep.com/article/2008111...SS01/811110328
    The SF.com Retard Remover...it makes the postards you have on ignore disappear completely:
    http://173.203.71.50/sfcom_retard_remover.user.js

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 NYC Poke's Avatar
    vCash

Emanuel Calls For Auto Industry Bailout

Rahm Emanuel, the chief of staff for the president-elect, is calling for a more rapid response to help the struggling auto industry. What do you think?

Rick Gunderson,
    Delivery Driver
    "Why don't they just cut back on costs? I never wear my seat belt."

Jessica Kornbluth,
    Dance Instructor
    "Obama doesn't need to give government money to the auto industry. He just has to tell his disciples to go out and buy a Pontiac, and we'll do it."

Tom Schuster,
    EMT
    "As a person who cares more about cars than people, this is very exciting news. Three cheers for Rahm Emanuel!"

http://www.theonion.com/content/amvo..._auto_industry

SoonerFans.com Elite Member The Maestro's Avatar
    vCash

Makes no sense. How about a big "Buy One, Get One Free!" sale???
    “It never changes. Football is a game of repetition, mental and physical. You may try to articulate it a little different, but it's the same thing: Get better players, make fewer mistakes, and drill the fundamentals into your players' heads. The rest of it is a joke. Teams aren't winning because of what they had for breakfast or what some coach said in the locker room.” - Barry Switzer

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I am a Democrat. There's my caveat.

I was apalled that the financial industry got a bailout. I'll be apalled if the auto industry gets a bailout. Government is bailing out companies who are traded and operate on the free open capitalistic markets. Isn't that the point of capitalism? Take a chance and you could be rich, but you could also fail. Aren't companies failing like the circle of life? If one goes down, one will rise up. And how quickly would Toyota or Honda act to purchase one of the American auto manufacturers?

I just don't get it. Let's bailout companies ran by guys who aren't smart enough not to run their respective companies into the ground but not help out people who are struggling.

Then again, I don't know who contributed more money to campaigns. That might be a telling sign.
    Madness is like gravity.....all you need is a little push.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Maestro View Post
    Makes no sense. How about a big "Buy One, Get One Free!" sale???
    I wouldn't want a Big 3 product even if you gave it to me. Unless I could sell it for a profit. Which I couldn't. Because they suck.
    I'm not happy until you're not happy.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I could see it now:

Ford announces their first ever BOGO Extravaganza Sale.
    Madness is like gravity.....all you need is a little push.