Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SleestakSooner's Avatar
    In a cardboard box... down by the Dempsey Dumpster.
    vCash

I'll Join former Gov. David Walters in asking, WTF is wrong with Oklahoma?

http://okstonewall.org/forums/index....sg4181#msg4181

November 07, 2008

What's the Matter with Oklahoma?

I waited three days in the hopes that my fuming at Oklahoma’s counter performance to the collective heave ho that the rest of the nation gave to the Republicans would subside.

It has not.

Amending the title of Thomas Franks’ insightful book about how conservatives won the heart of Kansas … “What’s the Matter with Oklahoma?” Did we really just do this?
    We’re the winner of the national championship for the highest McCain/Palin margin at 65.6 percent; the only state where Republicans gained ground in the state house, senate and statewide offices; and the only state in which McCain/Palin carried every county.

Not one of our 77 counties went democratic, not a single blue dot (see chart). Sen. Obama polled 10.8 percent in Beaver County. This was not out of 100 votes where percentages are easily distorted, but out of 2,462 votes cast.

Now you are thinking that we cannot expect much progressive thought out of a county best known for its cow-chip throwing contest (two tries if you lick your fingers after the first). But I have been to Beaver county and met good people and don’t understand how 89.2% decided Sarah Palin should be vice president of the United States.

It’s not just our friends in Beaver scouring the landscape for aerodynamic cow patties. Twenty-one counties fell below 25 percent for Obama and 39 counties, more than half of the 77, fell below 30 percent.

The top bastion of democratic performance? Cherokee county, where they used to spray for Republicans, held McCain/Palin to “only” 56.percent. The heart of our most democratic county only allowed Obama to get within 12.2 percent of a single county victory. Howard Dean called me as I was looking at these numbers. He wanted to say, “thank you” … for what I have no earthly idea.

I unloaded about our local results, but Howard didn’t take the bait. His politically correct language has been finely honed from thousands of scathing attacks on each of his utterances. He opined that the economy is much better in Oklahoma than most states and that many other states have a sizable portion of their population that would normally be concerned about leaders who are “different” than they are. But in those states the economy and the need for change overwhelmed their normal reticence to select someone “unlike” them.

Man that guy can talk.

While I am fuming, foaming, uttering and mumbling obscenities, he sounds like he just graduated from The Obama School of Cool. So should we do anything?
    Of course we should. Not just for competitive partisan reasons, but because it’s not good for Oklahoma to run so counter.

One national media service recently said based on the polls, the future of the Republican Party lies with “old white people and hayseed states.” I don’t believe that, but much of the nation does and we don’t need to be in that category.

Another pundit said that to understand the current Republican Party one has to “understand the unique culture and politics of Appalachia.”

Are you kidding me? Hayseed states and Appalachia! Call your local chamber and ask them if they think this is somehow good for us.

From a national image it’s a disaster. From a local basis can you imagine how this emboldens republicans in the state house, now firmly in control of the legislature. Do you think we are going to hear much about education, health care and jobs -- or are we simply going to get a double dose of Guns, God, and Gays?

Gun sales in Oklahoma skyrocketed immediately prior to the election and particularly afterwards. The vast majority of these Oklahoma voters really believe that Obama -- in addition to not being a Christian, being affiliated with terrorists and intent on doubling our taxes -- is also going to take their guns!
    What was that comment during the campaign about clinging? So what do we do?

Before we start shouting and stepping all over each other like the national Republicans, we should first calmly talk about process. How do we determine what are the highest contributing factors to this unusual trend in Oklahoma. Let’s assume that we can identify with polling and focus groups the top 20 contributing factors, and then perhaps we can identify that half of these we cannot do anything about … but a plan to address the other half may have merit. I have lots of ideas … but I really have to cool off first.

Posted by David Walters
    Quote Originally Posted by pokefun
    it is not natural to be optimistic and a cowboy fan unless it is the off season.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jerk's Avatar
    vCash

Re: I'll Join former Gov. David Walters in asking, WTF is wrong with Oklahoma?

Was he the governor that was ran out of office because he was so corrupt?
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Fred Bastiat

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jerk View Post
    Was he the governor that was ran out of office because he was so corrupt?
    Oh, I see you finished burying those new guns already.
    it is not natural to be optimistic and a cowboy fan unless it is the off season.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I'm proud to be conservative, and always will be. Thank you Oklahoma.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Skysooner's Avatar
    vCash

Jerk, along with Tuba and 85Sooner just don't get it.
    Metaphors be with you!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SleestakSooner View Post
    Oh, I see you finished burying those new guns already.
    No, they're currently "on our streets", shooting innocent women and school buses full of children.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Fred Bastiat

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 StormySooner-IN's Avatar
    Surrounded by the 'other' Crimson and Cream.
    vCash

I told my parents about this, and they agreed we need to move down there.

People seem to have a clue down there.
    The guy obsessed with Cameron Kenney

-OleVet Posse Designated Driver, "Kid"

Quote Originally Posted by PhiDeltBeers
    I didn't realize it was a 16 year old kid!!!!!!! Wow, I thought you had to be 18 to get on the computer.

vCash

No, they're currently "on our streets", shooting innocent women and school buses full of children.
    You traded them to pay for your meth habit?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

...and a child shall lead them...
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

vCash

You traded them to pay for your meth habit?
    Look, d!ckhead, just because Oklahoma doesn't feel the same way about things as San Francisco doesn't mean that there is something wrong with it.
    - Fred Bastiat

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by StormySooner-IN View Post
    I told my parents about this, and they agreed we need to move down there.

People seem to have a clue down there.
    Unfortunately it is only about 35% of the people.

vCash

Look, d!ckhead, just because not even one small pocket of Oklahoma doesn't feel the same way about things as over half the country doesn't mean that there is something wrong with it.
    /fixed

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 StormySooner-IN's Avatar
    Surrounded by the 'other' Crimson and Cream.
    vCash

Unfortunately it is only about 35% of the people.
    No...I think the article says "65.6 percent"

The guy obsessed with Cameron Kenney

-OleVet Posse Designated Driver, "Kid"

Quote Originally Posted by PhiDeltBeers
    I didn't realize it was a 16 year old kid!!!!!!! Wow, I thought you had to be 18 to get on the computer.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Gandalf_The_Grey's Avatar
    vCash

On November 6, 1990 Walters was elected governor of Oklahoma carrying 75 of the state’s 77 counties. During his term education funding increased by approximately 30 percent and a $350 million bond issue for higher education brought construction and renovation to every state college campus. Walters term in office was marred by controversy about making the Blue Room, a ceremonial large hall in the state capitol building into the Governor's office. Since the large room was more ornate and formal, the effort made questions arise about his judgement. Additionally, Walters term was controversial as numerous former campaign aides testified to illegal activities in his campaign organization. While in office he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor election violation as opposed to felony charges. He did not run for re-election in 1994. In 2002, he was the Democratic nominee for US Senate, but was defeated by the incumbent, James Inhofe.

vCash

Walters was a travesty of a Governor. He should be in prison.

Thank God for Frank Keating.

vCash

i don't see what his problem is.

we are all hayseeds because we voted for the white dude?

it's like everyone is stupid because they don't agree with him, or the people that won.

sorry, it really doesn't work that way.

like 46% of the popular vote went for McCain. is he ashamed of them too? there just happens to be a higher concentration here, probably due to the economic reasons mentioned. really, Oklahoma isn't such a bad place to be right now.

vCash

/fixed
    Oh yeah, sure. Obama ran a campaign on lowering taxes, telling gun owners he respects the 2nd amendment, and saying a whole lot about nothing in the most eloquent way possible.

Enjoy the transition. It's usually the best time of a Presidency. And remember, when things go to sh*t, there aren't going to be any Republicans around to blame.
    - Fred Bastiat

vCash

Yeah everyone wanted Change because their places are ****holes now...whereas Oklahoma's economy has improved on almost all levels

vCash

Barry Switzer must be wrong, as well as Boren and the late Jack Mildren... the list goes on. Don't assume we are all wrong because you are in the very local majority. Oklahoma is stuck deep in a depression of ideals. Now I know what Calahan meant when he called us a bunch of ****in hillbillies. Maybe I shouldn't have been so offended?

vCash

I guess Vermont voting at the same clip for Obama means they are the most enlightened state?