SoonerFans.com Elite Member OUHOMER's Avatar
    vCash

good info about BCS

Posse Member hoping for middle manager, Yep , I dont know ****

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by C&CDean
    I'm a tolerant mother****er.

vCash

Re: good info about BCS

I thought strength of schedule was taken out, and also margin of victory, but it is used in the computer models?

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Quote:

SoonerFans.com Elite Member sooner59's Avatar
    vCash

SOS used to be a separate part. There was AP Poll, Coaches Poll, Computer average, and SOS. They took SOS out and AP pulled out after 2004. However, SOS is still used in the computer poll formulas, so it still matters. It wouldn't make sense for us to schedule patsies in the non-conference still because playing TCU and Cincy and teams like that are helping us in the computers.

SOS was part of the computer equation, and still is, however to a much lesser degree now, which is a plus for teams in weak conferences.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OUHOMER View Post
    I thought strength of schedule was taken out, and also margin of victory, but it is used in the computer models?
    MOV is only present in the minds of the voters - computer polls are not allowed to factor that in.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMia View Post
    SOS was part of the computer equation, and still is, however to a much lesser degree now, which is a plus for teams in weak conferences.
    Only the Billingsley Computer Poll releases their algorithm; we don't know how the rest value SOS, but it is a very large component.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member sooner59's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by snp View Post
    MOV is only present in the minds of the voters - computer polls are not allowed to factor that in.

Only the Billingsley Computer Poll releases their algorithm; we don't know how the rest value SOS, but it is a very large component.
    I am really confused because of conflicting reports. Check it out.

Massey Ratings: Like some of its computer counterparts, the Massey Ratings are designed to evaluate past performance, not to predict future outcomes. The rankings only take score, site and date of game into account. BCS computers are not permitted to use margin of victory, but points scored and points allowed are a factor for Massey, including calculations for a team's home-field advantage.

Sagarin Ratings: Jeff Sagarin's ratings are published by USA Today and probably are the best-known computer rankings. Sagarin has multiple computer rankings, including one that takes margin of victory into account. The rankings that include margin of victory are featured in USA Today, and he considers them his "best effort." But the BCS uses the rankings that don't include a margin-of-victory component. Input in Sagarin's rankings for the BCS are wins, losses and site.

This is pretty confusing. I'm not really confident in computer rankings.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sooner59 View Post
    Sagarin Ratings: Jeff Sagarin's ratings are published by USA Today and probably are the best-known computer rankings. Sagarin has multiple computer rankings, including one that takes margin of victory into account. The rankings that include margin of victory are featured in USA Today, and he considers them his "best effort." But the BCS uses the rankings that don't include a margin-of-victory component. Input in Sagarin's rankings for the BCS are wins, losses and site.

I follow the Sagarin ratings frequently. Basically, he has 3 different rankings for each team. One that includes MOV(PREDICTOR),which he states is the best way to rank a team, one that does not include MOV(ELO-CHESS), and one that combines the 2. For example, OU is currently ranked 5th in his PREDICTOR rankings and 8th in ELO-CHESS. USC, is ranked #1 under PREDICTOR and falls to 9th under ELO-CHESS. The BCS uses his ELO-CHESS rankings only. Here's a link to his current ratings: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt08.htm

It's interesting that his top 5 PREDICTOR rankings are:

1. USC
    2. Florida
    3. Penn State
    4. Texas
    5. Oklahoma

He would favor 2 one loss teams over two major schools that are undefeated.

Here's his top 5 that will be used by the BCS:

1. Texas
    2. Alabama
    3. Penn State
    4. Oklahoma State
    5. Boise State

The good news is that if we take care of business, we'll get a huge increase in computer rankings(not just Sagarins) by beating a 1-loss Okie State.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

The good news is that if we take care of business, we'll get a huge increase in computer rankings(not just Sagarins) by beating a 1-loss Okie State.
    And a no-loss Ttech
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

Sooner Starter
    Football's godforsaken wasteland -- ACC country!
    vCash

What bothers me the most from that article is that former "aggie great" Thurman Thomas gets to vote. That's bad for many reasons.
    OU is about winning championships!!! osu is about whining about OU winning those championships!!! -- SoonerKnight, 10/31/2007

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

The BCS is bad for many reasons.

The fact biased people like that get a vote instead of letting a champion be proven on the field is beyond stupid.

Maybe one day this corrupt BCS system will be thrown in the garbage where it belongs.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sooner59 View Post
    I am really confused because of conflicting reports. Check it out.

Massey Ratings: Like some of its computer counterparts, the Massey Ratings are designed to evaluate past performance, not to predict future outcomes. The rankings only take score, site and date of game into account. BCS computers are not permitted to use margin of victory, but points scored and points allowed are a factor for Massey, including calculations for a team's home-field advantage.

Offense / Defense

A team's Offense power rating essentially measures the ability to score points. This does not distinguish how points are scored, so good defensive play that leads to scoring will be reflected in the Offense rating. In general, the offensive rating can be interpretted as the number of points a team would be expected to score against an average defense.

Similarly, a team's Defense power rating reflects the ability to prevent its opponent from scoring. An average defense will be rated at zero. Positive or negative defensive ratings would respectively lower or raise the opponent's expected score accordingly.

It should be emphasized that the Off/Def breakdown is simply a post-processing step, and as such has no bearing on the overall rating. A consequence of this is that the Off/Def ratings may not always match actual production numbers. A team that routinely wins close games may have somewhat inflated Off/Def ratings to reflect the fact that they are likely to play well when they have to. Winning games requires more than just the ability to score points, but also teamwork, mental strength, and consistency. The Off/Def breakdown is simply an estimate of how much of a team's strength can be attributed to good offensive and defensive play respectively.
    http://www.mratings.com/theory/massey.htm

vCash

I think margin of victory is used in all the computer rankings, some way or another. may not be listed as such. Also it probably such a small factor in the total compute that coaches don't really have to run the score up.

What would you consider as a run the score up. 21 points, 35 points, 50 points, 77 points HEH ????

Quote: