Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member JLEW1818's Avatar
    vCash

Re: When do you start blaming Bob Stoops for

I don't look forward to playing Tech or Oklahoma state defensive wise. I think we should onside kick every time.

So does it not matter to you BV aplogists that Texas Tech and OSU have better defenses than OU at this point?

With our success and the ability to attract 4* and 5* talent, are we not doing a good enough job at evaluating talent? If it isn't BV's defensive schemes, then it has to be something. At OU, with our past success we have a built-in advantage in recruiting and obviously we are missing the boat somewhere...

Do the epic meltdowns against USC, Oregon, UCLA, Boise State, Tech, West Virginia, etc. not raise any red flags?

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoonesFarmSooner View Post
    So does it not matter to you BV aplogists that Texas Tech and OSU have better defenses than OU at this point?
    Nope, it really doesn't (and I'm not a BV apologist, I just don't think he should be fired or let go, or run off, or whatever it is you all say he needs to do).

It doesn't bother me because we haven't played either OSU or Tech yet - and wow, those non-conference opponents would make any defense look good! Until we have a head-to-head matchup, we really can't compare here.

Also, even if it is true that they only allow 100 yards against Sisters of the Blind University and we allowed Cinci and TCU to score a few more points that we would have wanted, it doesn't bother me because we are winning. My favorite NBA team drafted a player named Glenn Robinson first overall back in the 90s. A great scorer that played no defense. What difference does it make that you score 20 ppg if you give up 25 ppg on defense? Well, if the defense gives up less points than our highly capable offense scores, then we are looking at a lot of winning - something my NBA team sadly did not do in those early G-Rob years.

Stats schmatz. I want to see how those D's do against our offense, which has the best quarterback, arguably the best blocking and TD tight end and a solid core group of receivers - not to mention a huge O-line.

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    It doesn't bother me because we haven't played either OSU or Tech yet - and wow, those non-conference opponents would make any defense look good! Until we have a head-to-head matchup, we really can't compare here.

I'm not going off of stats. I am looking at how our defense played against Texas and Kansas in the past few weeks and then watching Tech put up a much more solid showing against Kansas IN Lawrence than we did at home. And OSU looking better against Texas IN austin than we did on a neutral site.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoonesFarmSooner View Post
    I'm not going off of stats. I am looking at how our defense played against Texas and Kansas in the past few weeks and then watching Tech put up a much more solid showing against Kansas IN Lawrence than we did at home. And OSU looking better against Texas IN austin than we did on a neutral site.
    I would still argue that different circumstances lead to different outcomes and it has absolutely no bearing on how they will fare against us. I would rather beat Tech and OSU than... um.... "put up a more solid showing against Kansas" and "look better against Texas."

They have a better D against other teams? Fine, but we're still going to win against them and that's all that matters to me.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Collier11's Avatar
    vCash

matchups my friend, every team matches up differently
    Ranger Reese of OVJ country, Patrollin tha hood.

I Survived Drunkytown with OleVet and all I got was this rash!

With a record of 109-23 (.826) and six Big 12 championships in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
    ~ Ivan Maisel

http://sportslife11.blogspot.com/

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

How is OSU's D better than ours? We stopped Texas more than they did. Texas had more possessions against us, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TUSooner's Avatar
    Inside your monitor. Hit it with a hammer to release me and get 3 wishes.
    vCash

I would still argue that different circumstances lead to different outcomes and it has absolutely no bearing on how they will fare against us. I would rather beat Tech and OSU than... um.... "put up a more solid showing against Kansas" and "look better against Texas."

They have a better D against other teams? Fine, but we're still going to win against them and that's all that matters to me.
    In a sense, winning means our D is "good enough" to keep the other guys from scoring more than we score. The problem is that it takes more than a flashy O to win campionships and beat good, well-balanced teams. I'm tellin ya, we need to hope and pray that the O-line keeps taking care of Sammy, or we won;t just lose, we'll get blown out.
    Sincerely,
    Mr. Sunshine
    You tell me it's the institution. Well, you know, you'd better free your mind instead.
    (Shoo-bee doo-wah)

Quote Originally Posted by 85sooners View Post
    shut yer trap
    I think it is a totally valid question. I know it is just a snapshot and not a full performance review, but just look at what has happened recently with the Dallas Cowboys. Their defense was lackluster, so Wade Phillips took the defensive play calling away from defensive coordinator Brian Stewart. Their defense looked totally different against Tampa Bay with Phillips calling the shots - it was much more in attack mode.

Maybe it is time Stoops took over the defense.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member The Maestro's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by NormanPride View Post
    How is OSU's D better than ours?
    Texas scored 7 second half points at home vs. OSU.

They also did the unthinkable (to us, at least) and freaking hit Colt when he ran, knocking the ball out and forcing a key turnover.

Like us, they refuse and it boggles the mind why everyone does, to cover Shipley or hit him at the line of scrimmage to force him off his route a bit. That little bit could throw him and his butt buddy off.

That's how.
    “It never changes. Football is a game of repetition, mental and physical. You may try to articulate it a little different, but it's the same thing: Get better players, make fewer mistakes, and drill the fundamentals into your players' heads. The rest of it is a joke. Teams aren't winning because of what they had for breakfast or what some coach said in the locker room.” - Barry Switzer

Unfortunately, with the BCS and the fight to get to the #2 spot, winning isn't the only thing we need to be concerned about. If Penn State, Bama, and OU all end the season with one loss, the voters are going to look at each team in detail.

When we are giving up 600 yards of offense to teams that aren't all that good, that will raise some issues on whether we deserve a spot in the National Championship game.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

When do you blame Stoops for Special teams play.

Responsible for loss of at least 7 points against Texas.
    3 against TCU
    and 14 to KSU? (touched punt and return). (Not totally offset with our return team).

Two thirds of our teams preformance is awfully close to Blake standards (but not there yet) and yet we're #4. Guess we'll see how bad it really is when we play Tech and OSUE.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

The worst part is people are still going to be bitching after we beat Tech and OSU

vCash

What people dont realize is that our ST cost us the UT game, now our D...we went down and scored to go up 11, had all the momentum on Off and Def, and we give up a TD return on the kickoff. If we stop that and get the Def stop, we may roll them

With a record of 109-23 (.826) and six Big 12 championships in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
    ~ Ivan Maisel

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Collier11 View Post
    What people dont realize is that our ST cost us the UT game, now our D...we went down and scored to go up 11, had all the momentum on Off and Def, and we give up a TD return on the kickoff. If we stop that and get the Def stop, we may roll them
    Texas scored a touchdown on the next drive after every one of our touchdowns.

One was special teams.

Four were defense.

You are wrong.

Did we ever stop them in the second half?
    “It never changes. Football is a game of repetition, mental and physical. You may try to articulate it a little different, but it's the same thing: Get better players, make fewer mistakes, and drill the fundamentals into your players' heads. The rest of it is a joke. Teams aren't winning because of what they had for breakfast or what some coach said in the locker room.” - Barry Switzer

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Maestro View Post
    Texas scored 7 second half points at home vs. OSU.

They also did the unthinkable (to us, at least) and freaking hit Colt when he ran, knocking the ball out and forcing a key turnover.

Like us, they refuse and it boggles the mind why everyone does, to cover Shipley or hit him at the line of scrimmage to force him off his route a bit. That little bit could throw him and his butt buddy off.

That's how.
    Maybe we would have held Texas as well if Colt's two fumbles caused by big hits hadn't bounced right back into his hands. Maybe the stats would have been better if our interception hadn't been called back on a crap call.

Texas had four possessions in the second half. Two were turnovers, and one they ran the ball into the line on the Poke 3 yard line to run down the clock and pin the pokes deep. Texas punted one whole time in the entire game, was never held to a field goal, and if the luck hadn't been on the pokes side when it was, they would have kept on scoring.

vCash

They are called scoreboards. Not luck boards or maybe boards. Texas scored 7. OSU's defense did their job.

vCash

KSU has the best defense in the Big 12 by your logic.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Maestro View Post
    Texas scored a touchdown on the next drive after every one of our touchdowns.

One was special teams.

Four were defense.

You are wrong.

Did we ever stop them in the second half?
    my point was that we had all the momentum and had played Great D up to that point and it seemed to go down hill from there and of course the RR injury. It could have cost us the game, momentum is huge in football

~ Ivan Maisel

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JLEW1818's Avatar
    vCash

muffed punt against usc- example.

Jordan Shipley was a playmaker