Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: When do you start blaming Bob Stoops for

I blame Bob all the time;for winning 817% of his games winning the 2000 National title,winning FIVE conference titles.IT is QUITE OBVIOUS he knows NOTHING about coaching,running a coaching staff,or recruiting.He should be run out of Norman on a rail and relaced with .............

Hang in there Bob,eventually you WILL figure out how to win all your games.

After all,so many other coaches are winning more than you.Maybe Bob should hire some internet EXPERTS to help him out,I hear they have all the answers.
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Does anyone here really not think Bob is not involved in the defense? What do you think he does all day? The fact is that we have two below average corners and the same with two backers. If you say just coach them up it shows you have never coached. Sometime they just don't get better but they are the best you've got.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 85sooners View Post
    shut yer trap
    It's an excellent question. Unless you are one of those that think Bob can NEVER make a mistake.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 cheezyq's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoopified View Post
    I blame Bob all the time;for winning 817% of his games winning the 2000 National title,winning FIVE conference titles.IT is QUITE OBVIOUS he knows NOTHING about coaching,running a coaching staff,or recruiting.He should be run out of Norman on a rail and relaced with .............

Hang in there Bob,eventually you WILL figure out how to win all your games.

After all,so many other coaches are winning more than you.Maybe Bob should hire some internet EXPERTS to help him out,I hear they have all the answers.
    Soooo...you're saying that you're happy with what Bob has done so far, and that you couldn't care less if we ever win a championship again with him? This mentality sucks, and it's no different than the crap that we made fun of UT for when they were staring down a 5-year losing streak to their hated rival.....US.

Here's the reality that everyone seems to be ignoring - we ALL love Bob. We love what he's done to bring OU back from the depths of college mediocrity. We all appreciate what he's accomplished so far. But, largely because of his success and because of the success of this program in the past, we as fans and OU as an organization EXPECT TO WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS. Not just the conference variety either.

We aren't UT, where we love a coach because he gets us to 9-10 wins every year. We aren't OSU, where we would merely love a coach if could only he beat a particular hated team and had fancy hair. We are OU, the elite of all college football programs. We demand championships.

We sit here and proudly spout off all the statistics and other things that set OU apart from every other program in the country. Yet this argument above, and the arguments from almost every BV supporter contradict this very mindset. You guys are essentially saying, "hey, we're ok with mediocrity" or "hey, we've got an awesome offense...who needs a D?" Fortunately, the OU organization doesn't have that kind of mentality, or else Gary Gibbs would still be our coach.

Now, Bob gets a certain level of lee-way because of what he's accomplished, and that's completely reasonable. And even Brent Venables has received a certain level of lee-way because there are games where his defense looks brilliant. But we as loyal OU fans still have national championship expectations. And the formula for winning the national championship isn't a secret. A MAJOR part of that formula is playing CONSISTENT, SOLID DEFENSE. While BV has had his good moments, the LAST thing we can call him is consistent.

I understand that some of you may be just peachy with OU making the BCS and winning the Fiesta Bowl, or just winning a Big 12 championship. That's your prerogative. However I can't stand it when, at the end of the year, there is another team out there that gets to say "Hey, we're better than OU". I know we can't win it every year, so I'm not being unreasonable. CFB goes in cycles because of graduation and early NFL entries. But if there is something within Bob's control that is keeping us from being a championship-caliber team, then it plain just needs to be fixed.

I love our offense. But there's no way we can expect to be labeled the best team in the country if we routinely give up 500+ yards, especially to teams that likely won't even be bowl eligible.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Amen Cheezy....after reading several quotes before yours, I was thinking the same thing...

For those who think we don't love Bob is crazy. I would wonder if some thoughts would be different if our Offense wasn't as good as they are. Luckily we can score 50 pts a game. If they didn't, I wonder if that would change some people's opinion.

I agree with a lot that has already been said, it is just sad to see the defense get tore up each week. You may not think it will happen, but if one team comes out and slows down are O or keeps the ball from us, we will need a D to step up to the plate. Right now, I don't see that happening.

I'm a very loyal Sooner fan, but right now, if we somehow made it to the Championship game, we may be in trouble. It will be very interesting against Tech and OSU. Again, our Offense better score every damn time, because right now, it looks like those two teams will.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cheezyq View Post
    Here's the reality that everyone seems to be ignoring - we ALL love Bob. We love what he's done to bring OU back from the depths of college mediocrity. We all appreciate what he's accomplished so far. But, largely because of his success and because of the success of this program in the past, we as fans and OU as an organization EXPECT TO WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS. Not just the conference variety either.

We aren't UT, where we love a coach because he gets us to 9-10 wins every year. We aren't OSU, where we would merely love a coach if could only he beat a particular hated team and had fancy hair. We are OU, the elite of all college football programs. We demand championships.
    And what do you propose doing if Bob doesn't win a championship in say the next 5 years. Fire him? After all you demand championships. If you don't back up your demands with some threat if they aren't met, then you just sound like some spoiled 5 year old threatening to make his parents sorry when they didn't give him a cookie. I'm not saying people shouldn't want a better defense, but the amount of complaining going by the fans of a team that is 7-1, coming off back-to-back conference titles, is just totally unreasonable in my opinion.

I'm a huge Stoops fan, but isn't he the Special Teams coach???

vCash

Stoops is clearly a victim of his own production. Nearly every year he seems to exceed realistic expectations and so we create these ridiculous fantastic ideas about national championships every year. In reality Stoops is one of the top 5 coaches in the league. Is he human? Yes. Does he make mistakes? Of course. Expecting perfection is asinine.

And on the note about him getting more involved in the D, I believe he is taking time with the CB's every practice. I remember reading about that when we were all raving about B. Jackson's play.
    Happiness is found at the bottom of a glass of crown and coke.

Lakeland, Fl - Where hurricanes cross paths.
    vCash

ahhhhh......"Feed The Monster"
    An Education is what you get when you Read the Instructions,
    Experience is what you get if you don't...

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

Lets get the guy from Auburn before Texas can.
    hayyyyy....... no poaching. Go find your own farm team.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BornandBred View Post
    Stoops is clearly a victim of his own production. Nearly every year he seems to exceed realistic expectations and so we create these ridiculous fantastic ideas about national championships every year. In reality Stoops is one of the top 5 coaches in the league. Is he human? Yes. Does he make mistakes? Of course. Expecting perfection is asinine.
    I would say that he is more a victim of fans that have grown up and been conditioned to believe that 10-2 is an average season.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by hink4769 View Post
    I would say that he is more a victim of fans that have grown up and been conditioned to believe that 10-2 is an average season.
    Oh how easily we forget the 90's.
    Happiness is found at the bottom of a glass of crown and coke.

vCash

Or, even the early 70s. The '71 Sooners, as good as they were, were not exactly a defensive powerhouse...and the '75 national championship team gave up 20 points to Colorado and it would've been a tie 'cept Colorado missed an extra point, lost to Kansas, 23-3 (a 20-point loss, mind you), and so on and so on.

This isn't a bad defense; it's about typical for college football, apparently, this season. It can be better and it has played better. Maddeningly, yes, it's inconsistent and seems to be struggling--partly I think due to the fact it's patched together and it's pretty young.

That said, I would like to see Venables take some seminars or something on improving the college defense. Couldn't hurt...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JLEW1818's Avatar
    vCash

Anybody got any records of head coaching jobs for BV, just curious.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member tommieharris91's Avatar
    vCash

I blame Bob Stoops for everything. It's more fun than blaming George W. Bush.
    "If your dream ain't bigger than you, there's a problem with your dream." -Deion Sanders

SoonerFans.com Elite Member The Maestro's Avatar
    vCash

So by some people’s standard, if I date two really ugly girls (Schnelly and Blake) and then end up with a super model (Stoops) who is awesome for a few years and then starts to have obvious flaws that need and can be fixed quite easily, I should just accept those fixable flaws because I used to have much worse?

Sorry. People should always be trying to get better. The defense at OU included. Heck, some of Blake’s defenses looked better than this. Not even his inept offenses were so bad that texas scored 45 on OU…or gave up 260 yards to a receiver from Kansas…or had KSU’s QB throw for 487 yards and would have been more if Kevin Wilson had not been calling dive plays for both teams in the second half!  OR had that all happen in three consecutive weeks.

We all believe 100% that Stoops is the man to lead this program. But to not question the way the defense is playing right now is really, REALLY naïve.

Oh, and who thought before the season that Tech and OSU would have better defenses than OU? Well, it sure appears they do at this point.
    “It never changes. Football is a game of repetition, mental and physical. You may try to articulate it a little different, but it's the same thing: Get better players, make fewer mistakes, and drill the fundamentals into your players' heads. The rest of it is a joke. Teams aren't winning because of what they had for breakfast or what some coach said in the locker room.” - Barry Switzer

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

BV's problems are not that he can't handle the spread offenses, it's bigger than that; it's because O-coordinators have figured him out; they know how to attack his schemes, and they know how he thinks & teaches his kids; it all became obvious to me when our D gave up over 500 yards to one of the worst big12 teams on oct. 25;
    Working on a new one ...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Collier11's Avatar
    vCash

Dont you think if this was the case Stoops would and probably has sat in on the Defensive meetings and pointed out some problems...College Football has changed, in almost every game our defense has played pretty damn well take away about 3 or 4 really big plays. Those big plays can be eliminated by avoiding mental mistakes more than schematic mistakes
    Ranger Reese of OVJ country, Patrollin tha hood.

I Survived Drunkytown with OleVet and all I got was this rash!

With a record of 109-23 (.826) and six Big 12 championships in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
    ~ Ivan Maisel

http://sportslife11.blogspot.com/

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 cheezyq's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by hink4769 View Post
    And what do you propose doing if Bob doesn't win a championship in say the next 5 years. Fire him? After all you demand championships. If you don't back up your demands with some threat if they aren't met, then you just sound like some spoiled 5 year old threatening to make his parents sorry when they didn't give him a cookie. I'm not saying people shouldn't want a better defense, but the amount of complaining going by the fans of a team that is 7-1, coming off back-to-back conference titles, is just totally unreasonable in my opinion.
    If you had paid attention you would have seen that my point is that Bob needs to adjust the things he can control to put us in a better position to get a championship. You can't help injuries and attrition on your staff, players graduating/leaving for NFL. BUT, you CAN fix a defense that sucks when you have the measure of talent that we supposedly have.

vCash

Smile Re: When do you start blaming Bob Stoops for

Quote Originally Posted by The Maestro View Post
    So by some people’s standard, if I date two really ugly girls (Schnelly and Blake) and then end up with a super model (Stoops) who is awesome for a few years and then starts to have obvious flaws that need and can be fixed quite easily, I should just accept those fixable flaws because I used to have much worse?
    Well, that sounds like a marriage.

Heck, some of Blake’s defenses looked better than this. Not even his inept offenses were so bad that texas scored 45 on OU…or gave up 260 yards to a receiver from Kansas…or had KSU’s QB throw for 487 yards and would have been more if Kevin Wilson had not been calling dive plays for both teams in the second half!  OR had that all happen in three consecutive weeks.
    But the question that begs to be asked is...what would Blake's defenses have done against these offenses? I won't disagree and say that changes aren't warranted, but it's not necessarily a completely valid comparison. It's along the lines of those "what was the best team ever" questions that come up time and again.