Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

Race and the 2008 Election

I've had some interesting conversations of late regarding my choice in the upcoming Presidential election. The first conversation I had was with a friend of mine who is a pharmacist (not a tech, not an assistant but a pharmacist, with a degree on the wall and in charge of the whole operation). This person said, "I'm not voting for Obama 'cause I don't want to have to look at that ****** on TV for the next four years".

Had another conversation over a beer with someone who is the CFO of a company in Ft. Worth. Not a huge company but it employs several hundred people. This person said, "I just don't know what that ****** stands for".

I'm driving home on the highway a week or so ago and I happen to have an Obama sticker on the back of my car. I'm driving home, minding my own business when a car (a red two door Chevy cavalier) comes along side me and in it are two white males in the front seat, two white females in the back. Neither man has a shirt on, they are tattooed to the hilt and the passenger is screaming something at my car while giving the old Heil Hitler with his right hand.

I'd like to think that it's truly a minority of people who think like this, but it seems so widespread. I wonder if any of the other Obama supporters around here have had similar instances or if I'm nuts?

vCash

Re: Race and the 2008 Election

I think its a Minority of Folks who feel that way .
    Im Voting JSM . Not Because of any color , But because I feel he has what we need .
    If Colin Powell, Condi rice, etc. Had run I would seriously look at them as My Candidate.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

I m not a political guru like yourself or some of the other posters but I've observed some of that kind of reaction to him...You've got a certain number of people that are not gonna vote for him because of race..and then you have a certain amount of people that are gonna vote for him because of his race...

Just wonder which group is actually gonna account for more votes
    Bazinga

SoonerFans.com Elite Member crawfish's Avatar
    vCash

I've talked to numerous people who are going to vote for Obama BECAUSE he's black. But I guess that's not being racist, but progressive.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

My magic eight ball says that all signs point to this thread not ending well.

However, since we're not to that point yet and God willing will not ever be, let's just say for now that what concerns me most is having a divided leadership team so that we are neither taxed to death or welfared to oblivion.

So... convince me that the Congress is going Republican and I'll vote for the Democrat. Convince me that the Congress is going Democrat and I'll vote for the Republican. There's still a month left!

Oh, and race has no factor. I think all of us Republicans wanted Colin Powell in 1996.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Lott's Bandana's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post

I'm driving home on the highway a week or so ago and I happen to have an Obama sticker on the back of my car. I'm driving home, minding my own business when a car (a red two door Chevy cavalier) comes along side me and in it are two white males in the front seat, two white females in the back. Neither man has a shirt on, they are tattooed to the hilt and the passenger is screaming something at my car while giving the old Heil Hitler with his right hand.
    To me, the fascinating thing about that story is....if you happened to be of a different ethnic origin, would they have been so brazen in their response to your bumper sticker?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

There is a solution to the whole Republican/Democrat thing. Vote independent.
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Lott's Bandana View Post
    To me, the fascinating thing about that story is....if you happened to be of a different ethnic origin, would they have been so brazen in their response to your bumper sticker?
    Honest answer? Probably, because they had 'numbers'. It's pretty amazing the kind of **** people will pull when they are in packs rather than by themselves.
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner in Tampa's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by crawfish View Post
    I've talked to numerous people who are going to vote for Obama BECAUSE he's black. But I guess that's not being racist, but progressive.
    But...do they know his mama is white?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Beanbag View Post
    Six stitches is a pretty decent sized gash.
    Quote Originally Posted by OUthunder View Post
    To hell with Nebraska...they are overrated and irrelevant.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 salth2o's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner in Tampa View Post
    But...do they know his mama is white?
    We do, but I don't think he does!
    You only live once, but if you work it right...once is enough!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SoonerInKCMO's Avatar
    vCash

I wonder if any of the other Obama supporters around here have had similar instances or if I'm nuts?
    I don't see why this has to be an either/or situation.
    We have always known that heedless self-interest was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics. FDR.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TUSooner's Avatar
    Inside your monitor. Hit it with a hammer to release me and get 3 wishes.
    vCash

I know a lady who likes Obama, but she says she won't vote for him because on her job she has to deal with lots of "black people with attitude," and she doesn't want to do anything that would make them happy. I had to laugh.
    You tell me it's the institution. Well, you know, you'd better free your mind instead.
    (Shoo-bee doo-wah)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Lott's Bandana's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by crawfish View Post
    I've talked to numerous people who are going to vote for Obama BECAUSE he's black. But I guess that's not being racist, but absurd.
    If that's the reason then they should be rounded up, made to stand against a wall and bitch-slapped.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sooner98's Avatar
    vCash

I've had some interesting conversations of late regarding my choice in the upcoming Presidential election. The first conversation I had was with a friend of mine who is a pharmacist (not a tech, not an assistant but a pharmacist, with a degree on the wall and in charge of the whole operation). This person said, "I'm not voting for Obama 'cause I don't want to have to look at that ****** on TV for the next four years".

Had another conversation over a beer with someone who is the CFO of a company in Ft. Worth. Not a huge company but it employs several hundred people. This person said, "I just don't know what that ****** stands for".

I'd like to think that it's truly a minority of people who think like this, but it seems so widespread. I wonder if any of the other Obama supporters around here have had similar instances or if I'm nuts?
    3 anecdotes = "widespread"?

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

I've had a few instances sort of like that while making voter ID calls or canvassing or whatever.

I think there's certainly a number of people who refuse to vote for Obama simply because he's black. That being said, I think that most of them probably aren't registered to vote or don't make it to the polls anyhow.

There's also a number of people who will vote for Obama simply because he's black, but I think that number's been pretty greatly exaggerated. If it were the case that blacks will automatically vote for blacks, Al Sharpton, Alan Keyes, and Jesse Jackson would have likely done a lot better in the Washington DC primaries than they did.

vCash

like that is the only 3 instances of it he's seen or heard of...

the thing is that this element of society has had to stay dormant with the PC police around, i'll bet this gets them more out of the woodwork and motivated, especially if he's elected

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

I think he's in the position he is because he's black. A great talking, affable, charismatic white politician with his lack of experience wouldn't have a chance Jerry.

vCash

he's the Donovan McNabb of politics?

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by picasso View Post
    I think he's in the position he is because he's black. A great talking, affable, charismatic white politician with his lack of experience wouldn't have a chance Jerry.
    You mean like Jesse Jackson?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

haha. more like the manchurian candidate.

hey, he's gonna win so good luck to 'em.

But it ain't gonna be pretty when the media decides to turn on him.

out, sick of politics.