Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Chuck Bao's Avatar
    vCash

Washington Post endorses Obama

This editorial pretty much clinches it for me.

Not really, I already voted absentee ballot for Marshall Co., but I like their points.

Fear mongering is backfiring. Calling people names and labels is backfiring.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...d=opinionsbox1

THE NOMINATING process this year produced two unusually talented and qualified presidential candidates. There are few public figures we have respected more over the years than Sen. John McCain. Yet it is without ambivalence that we endorse Sen. Barack Obama for president.

The choice is made easy in part by Mr. McCain's disappointing campaign, above all his irresponsible selection of a running mate who is not ready to be president. It is made easy in larger part, though, because of our admiration for Mr. Obama and the impressive qualities he has shown during this long race. Yes, we have reservations and concerns, almost inevitably, given Mr. Obama's relatively brief experience in national politics. But we also have enormous hopes.

Mr. Obama is a man of supple intelligence, with a nuanced grasp of complex issues and evident skill at conciliation and consensus-building. At home, we believe, he would respond to the economic crisis with a healthy respect for markets tempered by justified dismay over rising inequality and an understanding of the need for focused regulation. Abroad, the best evidence suggests that he would seek to maintain U.S. leadership and engagement, continue the fight against terrorists, and wage vigorous diplomacy on behalf of U.S. values and interests. Mr. Obama has the potential to become a great president. Given the enormous problems he would confront from his first day in office, and the damage wrought over the past eight years, we would settle for very good...(read the whole article from the link)

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Re: Washington Post endorses Obama

In other unsurprising news, I ate a bunch of Chinese food for lunch and took a big ol' dump about an hour later.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rich View Post
    In other unsurprising news, I ate a bunch of Chinese food for lunch and took a big ol' dump about an hour later.

This is why I never order the #3 at Panda Express.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Tulsa_Fireman's Avatar
    vCash

*clutches chest in absolute shock*

NOT THE WASHINGTON POST! OMG LOL BBQ MVP VIP DOO DOO
    People don't know what it is to be a champion.

Oklahoma INVENTED it.

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KC//CRIMSON View Post
    This is why I never order the #3 at Panda Express.
    See, I LIKE taking a big ol' work grumper. I'm the only guy here, so it's like I have a private bathroom.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Chuck Bao's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rich View Post
    Heh!

Oh, come on guys. It wasn't the fact that the Washington Post endorsed Obama. It was the reasons for the endorsement.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I like to read these newspaper endorsements.

And like it or not, the Washington Post is respected around the world.

Even CNBC thought it was newsworthy enough to read the first three paragraphs of the endorsement.

These newspaper endorsements should be coming out now.

Please post those or links to your regional papers. I would like reading them.

Thanks.

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

I didn't say I disagreed with their endorsement or that it didn't raise valid points. It just wasn't a big temblor on the Richter Scale.

Now if the Washington Times were to follow suit, that'd be a big deal.

The Anchorage Daily News is a McClatchy paper, so I'm sure they've already endorsed Obama.

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

A bit more surprising: The Chicago Tribune just endorsed Obama. Now, of course, it's his "home town" newspaper, but considering they've NEVER endorsed a Democrat in 160+ years of publishing, that's pretty unexpected.

Brewmaster

vCash

LA Times endorses Obama: http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...,3530861.story

They haven't endorsed ANY presidential candidates since Nixon in 72, and it's their first-ever endorsement of a Democrat.
    ... that's not food.

Brewmaster

vCash

... that's not food.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

liberal media bias.
    “someone's controlling the vibes!"--apache dropout

SoonerFans.com Elite Member LosAngelesSooner's Avatar
    Rubbing elbows with all the beautiful people.
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by King Crimson View Post
    liberal media bias.
    Really?

The Chicago Tribune and the L.A. Times both have never endorsed a Democratic candidate, to my knowledge.

Also the Chicago Tribune was founded by some of the founding members of the Republican Party and has always been a Republican stronghold...

Hardly a "liberal media bias." More like a bad turn of events for McCain. (though, ultimately, I don't think it'll make much of a difference)
    Reluctantly double secret Ninja-Maverick member of the Posse (in protest). That's right...Ice...Man...I AM dangerous.

"You have to be aware that there's a line where legitimate concerns begin to collapse into paranoid fantasy." - David Frum, Conservative author and speechwriter for President George W. Bush

SoonerFans.com Elite Member tommieharris91's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by LosAngelesSooner View Post
    Really?

The Chicago Tribune and the L.A. Times both have never endorsed a Democratic candidate, to my knowledge.

Also the Chicago Tribune was founded by some of the founding members of the Republican Party and has always been a Republican stronghold...

Hardly a "liberal media bias." More like a bad turn of events for McCain. (though, ultimately, I don't think it'll make much of a difference)
    Your sarcasm detector is broken.
    "If your dream ain't bigger than you, there's a problem with your dream." -Deion Sanders

SoonerFans.com Elite Member LosAngelesSooner's Avatar
    Rubbing elbows with all the beautiful people.
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tommieharris91 View Post
    Your sarcasm detector is broken.
    Drat. Drat and double drat!!!!
    Reluctantly double secret Ninja-Maverick member of the Posse (in protest). That's right...Ice...Man...I AM dangerous.

"You have to be aware that there's a line where legitimate concerns begin to collapse into paranoid fantasy." - David Frum, Conservative author and speechwriter for President George W. Bush

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Bao View Post
    Heh!

Oh, come on guys. It wasn't the fact that the Washington Post endorsed Obama. It was the reasons for the endorsement.
    Anyone can pen an editorial calling a pig a Tennessee Walking Horse, but that doesn't make it practical to saddle it up and ride it in a parade. Carter was conciliatory and remarkably bright too, and we all know how his presidency turned out. The fact is, whether its admitted in polite company or not; no white person could be seriously considered for the job of President of the United States with BHO's resume.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okla-homey View Post
    Anyone can pen an editorial calling a pig a Tennessee Walking Horse, but that doesn't make it practical to saddle it up and ride it in a parade. Carter was conciliatory and remarkably bright too, and we all know how his presidency turned out. The fact is, whether its admitted in polite company or not; no white person could be seriously considered for the job of President of the United States with BHO's resume.
    an amazingly stupid statement based in the racism you think you disclaim. you, yourself, have said (trying to sound "hip") that the GOP "brand" was in the tank...now you argue it's just some reverse racism that makes for an Obama win.

Of course, if i'd posted as many hundred times couched in fake political theory and "common sense" about how Obama can't win....i might be back peddling too.
    “someone's controlling the vibes!"--apache dropout

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

an amazingly stupid statement based in the racism you think you disclaim. you, yourself, have said (trying to sound "hip") that the GOP "brand" was in the tank...now you argue it's just some reverse racism that makes for an Obama win.

Of course, if i'd posted as many hundred times couched in fake political theory and "common sense" about how Obama can't win....i might be back peddling too.
    Two words: A. CORN.

OleVet Posse Instigator

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

Also, what percentage of voters for Obama, do you think, are voting simply because he's black?

OleVet Posse Instigator

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

The races of the respective candidates are undeniably a significant factor in this race. It is simply absurd to assert otherwise. Acknowledging that fact doesn't mean the person doing so is "racist."

Search American history and find a candidate who won a major party's nomination for the top job with a thinner resume than BHO and get back to us.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

Emma's Daddy! SoonerStormchaser's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Bao View Post
    Fear mongering is backfiring. Calling people names and labels is backfiring.

Yah, BHO scaring people into thinking that electing JSM means four more years of President Bush is really backfiring.

Come off it already, Chuck!