Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Ready for Baseball Season tulsaoilerfan's Avatar
    vCash

KW Throws the Backs under the bus

This has been mentioned in another thread, but i thought it deserved its own thread; Wilson said " I don't think we ran hard at times" and to me that's total bs and very weak; feel free to discuss and ad your own comments

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Re: KW Throws the Backs under the bus

Wilson needs to go back to the Big 10. Slow, fat and unimaginative.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tulsaoilerfan View Post
    This has been mentioned in another thread, but i thought it deserved its own thread; Wilson said " I don't think we ran hard at times" and to me that's total bs and very weak; feel free to discuss and ad your own comments
    I have to agree with him. Too many times, it looked like we hit the LOS and had already decided we couldn't get any more yards.

However, much of that credit goes to the Texas front four.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I agree somewhat with what he said. Murray barely gets touched and he falls forward every time. This is where we miss AP, no one fights like that for yards. Brown does a decent job, but man, Murray just doesn't look right out there.

Ready for Baseball Season tulsaoilerfan's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bcgvh View Post
    I agree somewhat with what he said. Murray barely gets touched and he falls forward every time. This is where we miss AP, no one fights like that for yards. Brown does a decent job, but man, Murray just doesn't look right out there.
    Then why is he still starting? At some point both Wilson and Gundy need to step up and get it figured out

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

I don't think KW threw the running backs under this bus with that comment, but I do agree that perhaps he (and perhaps our other coaches) are being hard-headed/one-directional in that they think this offensive line should (and will) with enough cattle-prodding move quality defensive players 10 yards back into the defensive backfield, when our previous efforts against quality well-coached defenses show they can't. We also saw this "Banzai attack" approach with probably the best running back of this decade getting his share of being stuffed by a brick wall. Sam needs to bring some of his Cherokee buddies in and teach KW how to Indian fight instead of marching straight up into the gunfire, British style.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 okiewaker's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tulsaoilerfan View Post
    Then why is he still starting? At some point both Wilson and Gundy need to step up and get it figured out
    I'm guessing not a lot of choices

SoonerFans.com Elite Member The Maestro's Avatar
    vCash

So if we weren't running hard give the ball to the guys that do run hard...Manny, JI, Broyles and Gresham. NO ONE in America has a receiving corps like that with great hands, ability to get yards after catch and makes big plays. While the hell would you want to run it? Our QB throwing to those guys is unstoppable...unless you make it 2nd and 9 or 10 enough times just to try and stay balanced.
    “It never changes. Football is a game of repetition, mental and physical. You may try to articulate it a little different, but it's the same thing: Get better players, make fewer mistakes, and drill the fundamentals into your players' heads. The rest of it is a joke. Teams aren't winning because of what they had for breakfast or what some coach said in the locker room.” - Barry Switzer

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerLB's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bcgvh View Post
    I couldn't agree more! Not sure if it is physical or mental, but Murray is not running like he is 100%.

I also agree with aurorasooner about the coaches being "hard-headed/one-directional" when it comes to the running game.
    I'm no rocket surgeon, but . . . I am a member of the OLEVET POSSE!

"I'm too busy to help out right now....I'm trying to train a lizard to jump through hoops." - StoopTroup

vCash

Maybe if they had a few running plays were they didn't have to smash into the line of scrimmage (Big-10 style) they would run harder. Not to excuse, though it sounds like it, them not running hard, but would a little variety in our running game where the defense can't key on one or two run plays kill us?
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bluesmagoo View Post
    Wilson needs to go back to the Big 10. Slow, fat and unimaginative.
    I'm not gonna say we should cast him off, but his running scheme does show a complete lack of imagination.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Latigo Beach ... nice point break ... long workable rides.
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by aurorasooner View Post
    I don't think KW threw the running backs under this bus with that comment, but I do agree that perhaps he (and perhaps our other coaches) are being hard-headed/one-directional in that they think this offensive line should (and will) with enough cattle-prodding move quality defensive players 10 yards back into the defensive backfield, when our previous efforts against quality well-coached defenses show they can't. We also saw this "Banzai attack" approach with probably the best running back of this decade getting his share of being stuffed by a brick wall. Sam needs to bring some of his Cherokee buddies in and teach KW how to Indian fight instead of marching straight up into the gunfire, British style.
    Good comments, and with that you have to wonder how much greater that RB would have been (Heisman?) with a line that could run block. Time to start going with a more mobile o-line that helps the skill players make plays in space.
    "OK ... l know. This is where you tell me all about how locals rule ... and yuppie insects like me shouldn't be surfing your break, right?"

vCash

We are not going with a smaller (more mobile) offensive line -- the big line is what everyone does these days, and is the best way to combat 300+ pound defensive tackles. Sure we could throw smaller quicker guys on the line but then it'd be jail break on them running over us to get to the QB.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Chris Brown Avg...4.1 ypc in the game....To me he should be getting the bulk of the carries.....

Sooner Benchwarmer Sooner Schemer's Avatar
    vCash

If he really wanted to establish the run, why didn't he run more out of a 2-back set?

But where the talent lies on offense, OU would be better suited to establishing a passing game first, in order to set up the run. That worked pretty well in 2003 until Jason got hurt.

I think that if he called a play that got the running backs to the outside, like, oh, i dont know, the pitch that got chris brown an 11 yard run yesterday, instead of handing it off 7 yards back and running in between the tackles, we would see a lot more productivity out of our backs. And that misdirection play where the qb moves to the right but pitches it left, thats a good one, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by OU4LIFE View Post

I'm almost positive i'm not gay, and I'm 100% not a poke fan.

Latigo Beach ... nice point break ... long workable rides.
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonerinabilene View Post
    I think that if he called a play that got the running backs to the outside, like, oh, i dont know, the pitch that got chris brown an 11 yard run yesterday, instead of handing it off 7 yards back and running in between the tackles, we would see a lot more productivity out of our backs. And that misdirection play where the qb moves to the right but pitches it left, thats a good one, too.

Absolutely! Why we abandoned that is beyond me. Stop making it easy for the D to just load the box ... make them actually work to get to the ball carrier.
    "OK ... l know. This is where you tell me all about how locals rule ... and yuppie insects like me shouldn't be surfing your break, right?"

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonerinabilene View Post
    Yup, the biggest problem is not with our line itself, but with the utter simplicity and predictability of our running scheme.

I mean how hard is it to stop a running attack that going into the game you know all they're gonna do is run between the tackles?

Olevet Posse Pistolero

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by aurorasooner View Post
    You hit all the nails on the head! As many yards as AD got in '04, I was always amazed at how many times he stuffed by lineman and had no place to go. He was such a phenomenal athlete paired with a top passing attack that he should have threatened the NCAA record for yds/carry. That really came home with his performance in the NFL with a team with a lousy pass attack. Our running scheme issue has been there for a while.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    I'm not gonna say we should cast him off, but his running scheme does show a complete lack of imagination.
    yet we hear year after year that they will analyze how they coach but not once do they mention some new offensive schemes?

there is a massive problem with our running game whether it's immobile, fat dudes on the line or just predictable playcalling or a combo of both.