Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gwen Ifill

SoonerFans.com Elite Member The Maestro's Avatar
    vCash

Gwen Ifill

I know everyone is beat down because of the bailout, but how about this nugget today?

"Moderating" the debate but has a book about Obama coming out on...Inaguration Day. She stands to make $3.50 for every book sold. Gonna be hard to sell those books if McCain wins. And she is the "moderator" of the VP debate.

Anybody want to try and convince us that her book is not about Obama but about the "Obama era and black voters"?

Washington, D.C. is a really ugly place right now...
    “It never changes. Football is a game of repetition, mental and physical. You may try to articulate it a little different, but it's the same thing: Get better players, make fewer mistakes, and drill the fundamentals into your players' heads. The rest of it is a joke. Teams aren't winning because of what they had for breakfast or what some coach said in the locker room.” - Barry Switzer

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Harry Beanbag's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Gwen Ifill

I'm ready to move to the mountains and give D.C. my middle finger.

vCash

You just say that cause it is still triple digits in PHX!

In Flagstaff tonight...actually got to sport the OU sweatshirt. It was awesome!
    “It never changes. Football is a game of repetition, mental and physical. You may try to articulate it a little different, but it's the same thing: Get better players, make fewer mistakes, and drill the fundamentals into your players' heads. The rest of it is a joke. Teams aren't winning because of what they had for breakfast or what some coach said in the locker room.” - Barry Switzer

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sooner98's Avatar
    vCash

Why did the McCain camp agree to this?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Harry Beanbag's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Maestro
    You just say that cause it is still triple digits in PHX!

In Flagstaff tonight...actually got to sport the OU sweatshirt. It was awesome!
    We're going camping up in Crown King this weekend. 50 degrees will feel really really good.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner98 View Post
    Cause the Maverick is anything BUT James Garner!

And unless he and Palin grow a pair (physiological inabilities not withstanding) they are doomed as doomed can be.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerKnight's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Maestro View Post
    Cause the Maverick is anything BUT James Garner!

And unless he and Palin grow a pair (physiological inabilities not withstanding) they are doomed as doomed can be.
    I agree!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 def_lazer_fc's Avatar
    vCash

yawn. you knew this was gonna be trumpeted about now. this **** was known for some time, but no one is complaining until now. im actually surprised only one person on this board seemed to be that worried by it.
    i make my guitar weep, but my champagne cry

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

The book is not "about" Barack Obama. It contains a discussion of his candidacy for President in the context of other campaigns for political office by African Americans. Considering it was well-known that she was writing said book, you'd have to be pretty ****ing stupid to think she wouldn't include anything in it about the first major-party candidate with a significant quantum of African descent.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

She still stands to gain more financially from the book if Obama wins the election. That much is plain to see.

Ifill was liberally biased in the 2004 Cheney / Edwards VP debate; imagine that.

And more...

"Here are more signs Sarah Palin could face an uphill battle with PBS host Gwen Ifill. Professor Sherrilyn Ifill of the University of Maryland Law School, who Gwen Ifill has lauded as "my brilliant baby cousin," has written that black women are not buying Sarah Palin’s "false claims to feminism" and is portrayed as too perfect: "when women who are privileged present as though they have it all together, it’s offensive to black women." (Photo from Soros.com)

The Community Times, a suburban Maryland newspaper, found Professor Ifill was ardently opposed to the Alaska governor when they did an e-mail interview:

"From the first day, Palin presented herself as shooting a bear in the morning, field dressing it, cooking up the breakfast, diapering the babies, passing legislation in the afternoon, cleaning the house, satisfying her husband, etc., etc., etc. And it's just not true," she wrote in an e-mail interview. "It's hard to be an average working mom, really hard. And when women who are privileged present as though they have it all together, it's offensive to black women."

Granted, they're not G. Ifills words, but anyone (including McCain) thinking the deck is not stacked against Palin in this debate from the get-go is merely fooling themself.

It's inexplicable.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Then again, there was this hard-hitting Obama expose by Ifill:

The Obamas: Portrait of an American Family
    Gwen Ifill

Soon we will vote for our next president, and for the first time in history, one of the two candidates is a Black man. For a year, Essence pursued an interview with the entire Obama family‹to no avail. Finally, this summer ESSENCE became the only Black media outlet allowed a glimpse into the lives of Barack, Michelle and their two girls, Malia and Sasha, when we were invited to their South Side Chicago home. Weeks later, veteran political journalist Gwen Ifill was with the family as they campaigned in a small mostly White western town, and she flew with them to a Black church in the urban Midwest.

Barack Obama is sitting in the back of his rented luxury campaign bus with its granite counters and two flat-screen TVs. The Illinois senator's arms are wrapped around his wife, Michelle, whom he doesn't get to see much these days. At this very moment he is, of all things, singing.

I've just asked them how their lives have changed since he won the Democratic presidential nomination. There have definitely been changes, especially for Michelle Obama, who used to pride herself on campaigning by day and rushing home to her daughters each night. Now she is spending more of her days and nights on the road, but seldom in the same place as her husband. And when their daughters‹Malia, 10, and Sasha, 7 get to see their dad, they likely have to share him with thousands of adoring strangers. "Daddy's gone a lot," Sasha notes. "We don't see him that much."

But on this Fourth of July, everyone is together. Even though there are at least a half-dozen aides and family members on the bus with us, it feels intimate back here. Michelle and Barack are curled up on the beige couch, while the children are reading and coloring a few feet away. Michelle folds her long legs to her chin and leans into her husband as he explains the reality of their lives. When he pauses, she finishes his sentences.

Their ease with each other recalls the day several weeks earlier when ESSENCE arrived to photograph the Obamas at their large Georgian Revivial home on Chicago's South Side. Barack stood on the lawn playfully teasing his wife as she posed for our cameras. Now, as then, his customary public caution melts away when he is with his family. Under relentless media scrutiny, Barack Obama says his family is going the extra mile to "maintain this little island of normalcy in the midst of all this swirl of activity."

But family snapshots of this sort are rare, as are moments when the Obamas can just chill. "Michelle has done a heroic job of managing the house, the family and still finding time to campaign and be out on the road," he says, after directing staff members to turn off the television, which was tuned to Fox News Channel. "I'm always marveling at everything that she can do."

And then he sings.

"I'm every woman," he croons. She cringes. He laughs. "That's Michelle. It's like, Chaka Khan! Chaka Khan!"

http://www.essence.com/news_entertai...americanfamily

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner98 View Post
    Because Ifill lied and failed to disclose to the commission she was working on the book.
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member colleyvillesooner's Avatar
    Out back...in the hot tub, you know, hanging out
    vCash

I was hoping their would be an early morning pissing contest...
    Sometimes I think I drink alot, then I see, like, the Motley Crüe behind the music, and realize I'm a huge *****.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rich View Post
    The book is not "about" Barack Obama. It contains a discussion of his candidacy for President in the context of other campaigns for political office by African Americans. Considering it was well-known that she was writing said book, you'd have to be pretty ****ing stupid to think she wouldn't include anything in it about the first major-party candidate with a significant quantum of African descent.
    The books title is: Breakthough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama

Yeah, that's not about Obama at all.

Books about winners sell better than books about losers. Ergo, Barack winning the election means more book sales, especially given that it is to be released on Inauguration Day.

How is this not the very definition of "conflict of interest?" If the shoe were on the other foot, that **** Katie Couric would be putting on her pruniest face to whine about it.

That said, given the way McCain's camp is ****ing up their campaign and their handling of Palin, the impartiality (or lack thereof) on the part of the debate moderator is a minor concern.
    The SF.com Retard Remover...it makes the postards you have on ignore disappear completely:
    http://173.203.71.50/sfcom_retard_remover.user.js

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

I would have to think the McCain has been aware of who the moderator is and what project she's working on for a while now. If they were that opposed to it, wouldn't they have actively worked at having her removed?
    Atheist.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
    I would have to think the McCain has been aware of who the moderator is and what project she's working on for a while now. If they were that opposed to it, wouldn't they have actively worked at having her removed?
    I'm beginning to believe that McCain's campaign is controlled by a Magic 8-Ball.
    The SF.com Retard Remover...it makes the postards you have on ignore disappear completely:
    http://173.203.71.50/sfcom_retard_remover.user.js

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Viking Kitten's Avatar
    vCash

Wow.

Palin can't hold her own against Katie frickin' Couric, because Couric's a lib.

Now Palin is getting an unfair shake in the debate because the moderator's cousin doensn't like her.
    What's next...tricky wind in the debate auditorium?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Partial Qualifier's Avatar
    vCash

If you're an American citizen, you're an "American" -- we're going backwards with the "African-American" qualifier. "Hello - I am Partial Qualifier, and I'm a British-American!" Creating more division amongst us with these qualifiers is ridiculous.

I'm not a black dude but if I were, I wouldn't be down with the whole "here's our African-American Champion".

In most regards, Barack is as "white" as I am -- hell, he's 'whiter' than i am in many regards -- he's got virtually nothing in common with most of the traditional "African-Americans" in this nation, the people who are descendants of slaves. He's a descendant of slaveOWNERS and grew up in a fairly priviledged setting, so racially identifying with him on those grounds would seem sortof hollow to me if I were a black dude and generations of MY descendants were subject to slavery, racism and discrimination.

How long til we get past all this and we're all just "Americans"? With the guidelines in place now, the only group who can legitimately claim the title of "Americans" are called "Native Americans" or worse yet, "Indians".

How does this relate to the question at hand? I have no frickin' clue.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
    I'm beginning to believe that McCain's campaign is controlled by a Magic 8-Ball.

Heh. So true.

My thoughts are that Ifill won't be biased against Palin...she is a pro...but it is just odd with the book issue.

Having said that, the winner tonight will be the one that talks less. If I were Palin I would be VERY brief and defer the remaining time to Biden. He can talk about being shot at in harm's way, tell how Patriots want to pay more taxes and rattle off some great speech he wrote like, "Ask not what your country can do for you...".

McCain v Obama was boring. Everyone will be watching tonight for face plants from both candidates.

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
    The books title is: Breakthough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama

Yeah, that's not about Obama at all.

Books about winners sell better than books about losers. Ergo, Barack winning the election means more book sales, especially given that it is to be released on Inauguration Day.

How is this not the very definition of "conflict of interest?" If the shoe were on the other foot, that **** Katie Couric would be putting on her pruniest face to whine about it.

That said, given the way McCain's camp is ****ing up their campaign and their handling of Palin, the impartiality (or lack thereof) on the part of the debate moderator is a minor concern.
    Simply because the title mentions a person means that it's about the person?

If I wrote a book called "Soonerfans: A collection of morons and scallywags in the age of OklahomaTuba" would that book be about Tuba?

This is just more expectation-lowering. It's at the point now where some of you will claim Palin wins tonight if she simply dosn't poop herself. And if she does, it'll be because of bias.

And since this is now one more political opinion post than I had planned to make between the middle of September and Nov 4th, I'll bow out now.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)