Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerProphet's Avatar
    vCash

A Conservative for Obama

http://www.dmagazine.com/ME2/dirmod....A3EF81822D9F8E

THE MORE I LISTEN TO AND READ ABOUT “the most liberal member of the U.S. Senate,” the more I like him. Barack Obama strikes a chord with me like no political figure since Ronald Reagan. To explain why, I need to explain why I am a conservative and what it means to me.

In 1964, at the age of 16, I organized the Dallas County Youth for Goldwater. My senior thesis at the University of Texas was on the conservative intellectual revival in America. Twenty years later, I was invited by William F. Buckley Jr. to join the board of National Review. I later became its publisher.

Conservatism to me is less a political philosophy than a stance, a recognition of the fallibility of man and of man’s institutions. Conservatives respect the past not for its antiquity but because it represents, as G.K. Chesterton said, the democracy of the dead; it gives the benefit of the doubt to customs and laws tried and tested in the crucible of time. Conservatives are skeptical of abstract theories and utopian schemes, doubtful that government is wiser than its citizens, and always ready to test any political program against actual results.

Liberalism always seemed to me to be a system of “oughts.” We ought to do this or that because it’s the right thing to do, regardless of whether it works or not. It is a doctrine based on intentions, not results, on feeling good rather than doing good.

But today it is so-called conservatives who are cemented to political programs when they clearly don’t work. The Bush tax cuts—a solution for which there was no real problem and which he refused to end even when the nation went to war—led to huge deficit spending and a $3 trillion growth in the federal debt. Facing this, John McCain pumps his “conservative” credentials by proposing even bigger tax cuts. Meanwhile, a movement that once fought for limited government has presided over the greatest growth of government in our history. That is not conservatism; it is profligacy using conservatism as a mask.

Today it is conservatives, not liberals, who talk with alarming bellicosity about making the world “safe for democracy.” It is John McCain who says America’s job is to “defeat evil,” a theological expansion of the nation’s mission that would make George Washington cough out his wooden teeth.

This kind of conservatism, which is not conservative at all, has produced financial mismanagement, the waste of human lives, the loss of moral authority, and the wreckage of our economy that McCain now threatens to make worse.

Barack Obama is not my ideal candidate for president. (In fact, I made the maximum donation to John McCain during the primaries, when there was still hope he might come to his senses.) But I now see that Obama is almost the ideal candidate for this moment in American history. I disagree with him on many issues. But those don’t matter as much as what Obama offers, which is a deeply conservative view of the world. Nobody can read Obama’s books (which, it is worth noting, he wrote himself) or listen to him speak without realizing that this is a thoughtful, pragmatic, and prudent man. It gives me comfort just to think that after eight years of George W. Bush we will have a president who has actually read the Federalist Papers.

Most important, Obama will be a realist. I doubt he will taunt Russia, as McCain has, at the very moment when our national interest requires it as an ally. The crucial distinction in my mind is that, unlike John McCain, I am convinced he will not impulsively take us into another war unless American national interests are directly threatened.

“Every great cause,” Eric Hoffer wrote, “begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket.” As a cause, conservatism may be dead. But as a stance, as a way of making judgments in a complex and difficult world, I believe it is very much alive in the instincts and predispositions of a liberal named Barack Obama.

Administrator
    vCash

Re: A Conservative for Obama

I stopped reading when I saw University of Texas. Meh. In fact, double meh.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerProphet's Avatar
    vCash

I am impressed you got passed Obama quite frankly.

Administrator
    vCash

I got past him too.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Excellent post! I couldn't agree more.

I too, am a conservative voting for Obama for much of the same reasons as you stated above.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I am convinced he will not impulsively take us into another war unless American national interests are directly threatened.
    Except when The One says he would invade Pakistan, right?

vCash

I can agree with this shortened statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerProphet View Post
    This kind of conservatism, which is not conservative at all, has produced financial mismanagement, the waste of human lives, the loss of moral authority, and the wreckage of our economy
    I can agree with this too.
    Barack Obama is not my ideal candidate for president.
    A few months ago...I believed this...but I have sinced watched him change instead of him talk about change....
    But I now see that Obama is almost the ideal candidate for this moment in American history.
    This is probably true...no matter who wins...
    It gives me comfort just to think that after eight years of George W. Bush we will have a president who has actually read the Federalist Papers.
    I believe Obama is moving towards "The Racket" part at light speed....I wish it wasn't true...
    “Every great cause,” Eric Hoffer wrote, “begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket.” As a cause, conservatism may be dead. But as a stance, as a way of making judgments in a complex and difficult world, I believe it is very much alive in the instincts and predispositions of a liberal named Barack Obama.

vCash

But as a stance, as a way of making judgments in a complex and difficult world, I believe it is very much alive in the instincts and predispositions of a liberal named Barack Obama.
    And we know this how?

Because Obama has accomplished SOOO much?? He is seriously the most un-accomplished person in this entire race.

That fact that this author even thinks Obama has some sort of unique qualification is laughable at best.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaTuba View Post
    And we know this how?

Because Obama has accomplished SOOO much?? He is seriously the most un-accomplished person in this entire race.

That fact that this author even thinks Obama has some sort of unique qualification is laughable at best.
    I still think he's 3rd Tuba...but you can have it at 4th without much of a fight from me.

vCash

More repulsive than laughable, unfortunately.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

I could be more eloquent, but why bother: **** that noise.
    The SF.com Retard Remover...it makes the postards you have on ignore disappear completely:
    http://173.203.71.50/sfcom_retard_remover.user.js

vCash

http://www.dmagazine.com/ME2/dirmod....A3EF81822D9F8E

THE MORE I LISTEN TO AND READ ABOUT “the most liberal member of the U.S. Senate,” the more I like him. Barack Obama strikes a chord with me like no political figure since Ronald Reagan. To explain why, I need to explain why I am a conservative and what it means to me.

In 1964, at the age of 16, I organized the Dallas County Youth for Goldwater. My senior thesis at the University of Texas was on the conservative intellectual revival in America. Twenty years later, I was invited by William F. Buckley Jr. to join the board of National Review. I later became its publisher.

Conservatism to me is less a political philosophy than a stance, a recognition of the fallibility of man and of man’s institutions. Conservatives respect the past not for its antiquity but because it represents, as G.K. Chesterton said, the democracy of the dead; it gives the benefit of the doubt to customs and laws tried and tested in the crucible of time. Conservatives are skeptical of abstract theories and utopian schemes, doubtful that government is wiser than its citizens, and always ready to test any political program against actual results.

Liberalism always seemed to me to be a system of “oughts.” We ought to do this or that because it’s the right thing to do, regardless of whether it works or not. It is a doctrine based on intentions, not results, on feeling good rather than doing good.

But today it is so-called conservatives who are cemented to political programs when they clearly don’t work. The Bush tax cuts—a solution for which there was no real problem and which he refused to end even when the nation went to war—led to huge deficit spending and a $3 trillion growth in the federal debt. Facing this, John McCain pumps his “conservative” credentials by proposing even bigger tax cuts. Meanwhile, a movement that once fought for limited government has presided over the greatest growth of government in our history. That is not conservatism; it is profligacy using conservatism as a mask.

Today it is conservatives, not liberals, who talk with alarming bellicosity about making the world “safe for democracy.” It is John McCain who says America’s job is to “defeat evil,” a theological expansion of the nation’s mission that would make George Washington cough out his wooden teeth.

This kind of conservatism, which is not conservative at all, has produced financial mismanagement, the waste of human lives, the loss of moral authority, and the wreckage of our economy that McCain now threatens to make worse.

Barack Obama is not my ideal candidate for president. (In fact, I made the maximum donation to John McCain during the primaries, when there was still hope he might come to his senses.) But I now see that Obama is almost the ideal candidate for this moment in American history. I disagree with him on many issues. But those don’t matter as much as what Obama offers, which is a deeply conservative view of the world. Nobody can read Obama’s books (which, it is worth noting, he wrote himself) or listen to him speak without realizing that this is a thoughtful, pragmatic, and prudent man. It gives me comfort just to think that after eight years of George W. Bush we will have a president who has actually read the Federalist Papers.

Most important, Obama will be a realist. I doubt he will taunt Russia, as McCain has, at the very moment when our national interest requires it as an ally. The crucial distinction in my mind is that, unlike John McCain, I am convinced he will not impulsively take us into another war unless American national interests are directly threatened.

This guy sounds very much like me. The only thing I disagree with him on is his implication that conservatism is not an ideology at all but merely resistance to fast or ineffective change in favor of the gradual and effective. In a sense, that is what conservatism is in a purely generic universal form in the mold of Burkean conservatism. The difference is that in these United States, unlike elsewhere, conservatism has a solid-written Constitution to provide a standard of measurement with which to evaluate various programs. In other words, American conservatism is and should be considered ideological because it seeks to preserve and/or re-establish a strict set of written principles and ideas embodied within the Constitution. Therefore, conservatives should not evaluate a program based on how effective or ineffective it is. A conservative would first evaluate a program to see if it passes constitutional muster and only then evaluate how effective or needed the program is.

This guy confuses conservatism as a personal temperament with conservatism as a political ideology/viewpoint.

vCash

You resistors are such a pain sometimes.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by StoopTroup View Post

LOL. When I first saw that LED, I thought it was a glowing condom.

vCash

Hes got My Vote
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

Talking Re: A Conservative for Obama

Quote Originally Posted by jage View Post
    LOL. When I first saw that LED, I thought it was a glowing condom.
    No...that's SicEm.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

No...that's SicEm.
    heh!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 47straight's Avatar
    vCash

That's a diode.
    “Some people who attend the University of Oklahoma seem to represent different values than some people who attend the University of Texas.” -- Mr. J. Mcfarland

"[Christian Scott]'s off the team the day of the incident and I guarantee you he won't be back." -- Typical Dallas horn fan

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Big Red Ron's Avatar
    vCash

If you're voting for Obama it's either out of blind political allegiance to liberalism as it is currently manifested in the Democratic party or it's simply a result of personal, political apathy that allows for a mental crap shoot on a guy with no record and a closet full of bad guys.

I have philosophical contempt for the former and absolute disdain for the latter.
    Know thy self,
    know thy enemy.
    A thousand battles,
    a thousand victories. - Sun Tzu (500 B.C.)

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Ron View Post
    If you're voting for Obama it's either out of blind political allegiance to liberalism as it is currently manifested in the Democratic party or it's simply a result of personal, political apathy that allows for a mental crap shoot on a guy with no record and a closet full of bad guys.

I have philosophical contempt for the former and absolute disdain for the latter.
    You left out "because he black." I got a pretty good idea more folks are gonna vote for him for that reason than any of this other foolishness.