Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

MONA CHAREN on the SARAH

A beautiful and inspiring read:

Is Trig at the Heart of Media's Reaction to Palin?
    Tue Sep 9, 3:00 AM ET

There were basically two things known about Sarah Palin when her name was announced on Aug. 29 and the mediasphere began to shudder and pulsate: She was a recently elected governor and the mother of five children including a handicapped infant. The scorn from the mainstream press and the left-leaning blog world was both intense and instantaneous. Andrew Sullivan of The Atlantic immediately began circulating rumors that Trig was not the governor's baby — that she had engaged in a huge charade to cover up her teen daughter's illegitimate child. The New York Times reported on the front page that Palin had been a member of the Alaska Independence Party. Eleanor Clift of Newsweek described the reaction of most newsrooms to Palin's elevation as "literally laughter." US Weekly rushed out a cover story picturing Palin holding her baby son with the headline "Babies, Lies, & Scandal."

And that was just the throat-clearing phase. NBC's Brian Williams wondered whether she could discharge her responsibilities with all those kids. Sally Quinn of the Washington Post asked, "Will she put her country first, or will she put her family first?" Mort Kondracke called her a "wacko right-winger."

Now it hardly needs mentioning that Brian Williams and company would sew their own lips closed before ever uttering such heresy about a liberal woman candidate. Nor would it even occur to them to question any male candidate's fitness because of the number of children he had.

How do the media poobahs explain it? They say (and to her credit, Sally Quinn has apologized for her comments) that it was Palin's inexperience that prompted their contempt. But aren't these the same people who had just the week before been defending Barack Obama's thin resume?

Something about Sarah Palin set them off before their own politically correct impulses ("Must Avoid Sexism") could inhibit them. By the ferocity of the response, you might have thought Palin was a secret member of a polygamous cult or had forced her daughter to give birth after a rape. But no, she was just the mother of five, hunting, fishing, NRA member, and governor.

I wonder if it was that baby.

Sarah Palin is no ordinary pro-lifer. She is an attractive, intelligent, ambitious, successful woman who has actually lived her convictions. Told that the baby she was carrying would be handicapped with Down syndrome, she and her husband made the only decision their consciences would permit — to welcome this child with the same love they would give to any other. That decision is comparatively rare in America. Fully 80 percent of parents who receive a diagnosis of Down syndrome in their unborn children elect to abort. But it's not unusual at all among committed pro-lifers. I have met many in the course of speaking to pro-life audiences. And for every couple that has chosen life for a handicapped child, there are thousands and perhaps millions more who have abjured prenatal testing because under no circumstances would they abort their children. I cannot count the times I've amazed pro-choice people with the news that there are even waiting lists of couples who stand ready to adopt Down syndrome babies.

The example of people living their principles by embarking on the undeniably difficult path of raising a handicapped child is a hard one to dismiss. In fact, it's hard not to admire. Don't most of us, deep down, really think that the most humane and honorable thing is to treat all life as sacred? Even if you are not religious or have no belief in God — doesn't it appeal to an enlightened humanism to give support and love to the handicapped? In fact, most pro-choice people probably treat the handicapped with terrific compassion and care. They doubtless support civil rights legislation like the Americans with Disabilities Act, additional school spending, and generous Social Security benefits. They'd be the first to hold the door for someone in a wheelchair, and they'd be friendly toward anyone with obvious mental retardation.

But for themselves, they would abort. And there stands Sarah, Trig Palin in her arms, a beautiful ambassador for the path of humility, duty, honor, and grace. It's no wonder she was in their crosshairs from the get go.

To find out more about Mona Charen and read features by other Creators Syndicate writers and cartoonists, visit the Creators Syndicate Web page at www.creators.com.

COPYRIGHT 2008 CREATORS SYNDICATE, INC.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

Re: MONA CHAREN on the SARAH

Whoptee ****ing doo.

My wife and I have two kids and never even had the Down's test done because we knew it didn't matter; we were having those babies no matter what.

And we're both proud atheists. Who also happen to be pro-choice.

So take your broad generalizations and go play somewhere else.
    Atheist.

Emma's Daddy! SoonerStormchaser's Avatar
    vCash

So I guess telling you to go to hell doesn't mean anything, eh?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
    Whoptee ****ing doo.

My wife and I have two kids and never even had the Down's test done because we knew it didn't matter; we were having those babies no matter what.

And we're both proud atheists. Who also happen to be pro-choice.

So take your broad generalizations and go play somewhere else.
    The very first thing I thought about was the Chris Rock "I take care of my kids" bit.
    Boomer Sooner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerStormchaser View Post
    I less than care what you tell me.
    Atheist.

vCash

"The Sarah"...is that anything like "The Messiah"? Nah, couldn't be. Just because Palin came out of nowhere to become an instant celebrity and the subject of unabashed swooning for her partisans, that's no reason to think the pubz have found their own Obama.
    I'm not happy until you're not happy.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mdklatt View Post
    "The Sarah"...is that anything like "The Messiah"? Nah, couldn't be. Just because Palin came out of nowhere to become an instant celebrity and the subject of unabashed swooning for her partisans, that's no reason to think the pubz have found their own Obama.
    Now, don't you go getting angry, young fella!
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 LilSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Well flip her a doggy biscuit. There are millions of women everyday who make that decision and they don't get long winded diatribes about why they are such grand human beings.

Listen she needs to make the decision that Obama did and not whore out her children for the vote. Obama realized early on that doing interviews with his children wasn't something he wanted to objected them to.

She needs to make the same decision, and the press needs to drop the whole thing.
    "Yea, and the shins of the wicked were smote."-Lil 22:18

and behold I looked in the sky, and saw a rider on a pale horse, the rider's name was death, and Lil Sooner followed after,....Revalations

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerStormchaser View Post
    WWJDSSC?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by LilSooner View Post
    Well flip her a doggy biscuit. There are millions of women everyday who make that decision and they don't get long winded diatribes about why they are such grand human beings.

Listen she needs to make the decision that Obama did and not whore out her children for the vote. Obama realized early on that doing interviews with his children wasn't something he wanted to objected them to.

She needs to make the same decision, and the press needs to drop the whole thing.
    Yeehah!
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! View Post
    Yeehah!
    A well reasoned and thought provoking response. Good job.
    Atheist.

vCash

The SARAH is an enthiusiastic and outspoken conservative, who appears fearless of the dark side, so far, and she can both defend and attack. A shocker to most people.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner Born Sooner Bred's Avatar
    vCash

Hmmm. . .got this in an email today:

She eloped 8/29/88 and first child Track was born 4/20/89. Also he spent last year of high school in Michigan (living with???) and left Alaska to avoid jail for his role in vandalizing school bus, which included cutting brake lines

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SoonerInKCMO's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner Born Sooner Bred View Post
    Hmmm. . .got this in an email today:

She eloped 8/29/88 and first child Track was born 4/20/89. Also he spent last year of high school in Michigan (living with???) and left Alaska to avoid jail for his role in vandalizing school bus, which included cutting brake lines
    Ehh... like mother, like daughter.
    We have always known that heedless self-interest was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics. FDR.

The difference is simple, Obama has been in 20 debates and 100's of interviews over the last 20 months. Whether you agree with him or not, he is at least a known quantity. The tapping of Sarah Palin is to draw disenfranchised women voters who want a woman in power at all costs. The last thing the republicans want to do is allow the media to get beyond the surface of Sarah Palin.

As it stands right now, identity is trumping ideology. Which takes me back to the wisdom of Dean, people are stupid.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mandibleclaw View Post
    The difference is simple, Obama has been in 20 debates and 100's of interviews over the last 20 months. Whether you agree with him or not, he is at least a known quantity. The tapping of Sarah Palin is to draw disenfranchised women voters who want a woman in power at all costs. The last thing the republicans want to do is allow the media to get beyond the surface of Sarah Palin.

As it stands right now, identity is trumping ideology. Which takes me back to the wisdom of Dean, people are stupid.
    Charlie Gibson gets her on Thursday. I'm curious to see his line of questioning.
    Atheist.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner Born Sooner Bred View Post
    Also he spent last year of high school in Michigan (living with???)
    I read that he played really-minor-league hockey there. That's supposed to throw Michigan over to the pubz or something.

vCash

Charlie Gibson gets her on Thursday. I'm curious to see his line of questioning.

Charlie Gibson isn't exactly a hard-nosed interviewer, I say we dig up Tim Russert so she can be properly questioned.

vCash