Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Big Red Ron's Avatar
    vCash

After Obama's Speech and Palin's addition, latest poll shows a dead heat

The latest nationwide survey by Zogby, begun Friday afternoon after the McCain announcement of Palin as running mate and completed mid-afternoon (Saturday), shows McCain/Palin at 47%, compared to 45% support for Obama/Biden.

Apperently Palin's announcement killed any post convention bump expected by Obama or there never was one.

Anyway, looks like this one's going to the wire.
    Know thy self,
    know thy enemy.
    A thousand battles,
    a thousand victories. - Sun Tzu (500 B.C.)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

Re: After Obama's Speech and Palin's addition, latest poll shows a dead heat

I could post the new Gallup numbers or you could be a man and do it yourself.
    Atheist.

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Or the Rasmussen numbers showing that 31% of undecideds think the Palin choice makes it less likely they'll vote for McCain and only 6% said it made them more likely.

But hey, Zogby shows that Palin's pick only resulted in McCain losing half of his lead that only they showed.

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.co...deds-dont.html
    Last edited by Frozen Sooner; 8/31/2008 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Pardon me, 68% was incorrect
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

Some of the Republican naysayers are starting to come out, here is a article by David Frum who was Bush's former speech writer.

http://www.nationalpost.com/national...html?id=756704

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

"The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 lexsooner's Avatar
    vCash

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/08...-expands-lead/

Plus, a signficant number of likely voters doubt Palin's ability to be POUS. And the link is from Foxnews, so it must be accurate, right?

It probably pains a lot of folks on this board, but Obama's speech was out of this world, a huge hit, and he is probably going to be elected POUS. If your source of news is listening to the right wing pundits, you might not agree, but it sure is looking this way.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by lexsooner View Post
    http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/08...-expands-lead/

Plus, a signficant number of likely voters doubt Palin's ability to be POUS. And the link is from Foxnews, so it must be accurate, right?

It probably pains a lot of folks on this board, but Obama's speech was out of this world, a huge hit, and he is probably going to be elected POUS. If your source of news is listening to the right wing pundits, you might not agree, but it sure is looking this way.
    Yup, Brack's purty speech locked it up.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

I think the most important poll numbers will be those of the second week of October. Whomever has a commanding lead in the average of the national polls (I like "realclearpolitics.com" for that reason) will prolly win. If it's still tight then, I think JSM will win because the GOP has consistently done a better job of getting out the vote. If BHO is running more than 10 points ahead at the end of that week, it'll mean curtains for JSM.

and yes, feel free to throw this back up in my face at that time.

Also, as a JSM/SHP guy, I am concerned that these polls generally don't reach those without landlines. The under 35 crowd (the heart and soul of BHO's base) who typically only have cell phones don't get polled. Thus, polling could be skewed favoring JSM.

A lot of those people will give money to BHO because they can do that with only about three clicks and a credit card on BHO's webpage, but they don't bother voting because they have to get off the couch and do that in person. Therefore, polling skewed in favor of JSM may not matter much in the final analysis in terms of its predictive accuracy.
    Last edited by Okla-homey; 8/31/2008 at 02:11 PM.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
    I could post the new Gallup numbers or you could be a man and do it yourself.
    you're asking for a lot there......

Gallup Daily: Obama-Biden Ticket Leads by 6 Points:
    http://www.gallup.com/poll/109903/Ga...ds-Points.aspx

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

i really thought MCain would pick Romney. that would have made Limbaugh and the FOX heavy hitting pundits happy and mobilize the cause. unexciting, yes....but probably the better strategy play.

i kinda like the Palin pick though. on the negative, it seems to nullify the "experience" issue some (and that's the main talking point)... as i mentioned before seems to forefront (or accept) the "change" idea as the animus or zeitgeist of the remaining campaign. that would seem to favor Obama as the one dictating the language in play or terms of debate.
    “someone's controlling the vibes!"--apache dropout

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 lexsooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    Yup, Brack's purty speech locked it up.
    Nope, the bad/unpopular current administration, bad economy, bad foreign policy, lots more money for Obama than McCain, bad VP choice by McCain, and Obama's dynamic personality make it likely he will win. Obama didn't get this far by accident. People look for leaders who inspire, and he has it. His speech was a mere manifestation of this rare quality.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okla-homey View Post
    I think the most important poll numbers will be those of the second week of October. Whomever has a commanding lead in the average of the national polls (I like "realclearpolitics.com" for that reason) will prolly win. If it's still tight then, I think JSM will win. If BHO is running more than 10 points ahead at the end of that week, it'll mean curtains for JSM.

that's hard to say, Dukakis had a big lead and Kerry and Gore were both projecting as winners (by semi-comfortable margins) about that late and later. IIRC.
    “someone's controlling the vibes!"--apache dropout

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by lexsooner View Post
    People look for leaders who inspire, and he has it. His speech was a mere manifestation of this rare quality.
    What has he led before?
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okla-homey View Post
    I think the most important poll numbers will be those of the second week of October. Whomever has a commanding lead in the average of the national polls (I like "realclearpolitics.com" for that reason) will prolly win. If it's still tight then, I think JSM will win. If BHO is running more than 10 points ahead at the end of that week, it'll mean curtains for JSM.

I've been hitting RCP.com pretty hard as well. I like having the poll snapshots right there, though the averages are somewhat meaningless considering the wide disparity in sample sizes and methodologies.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by King Crimson View Post
    that's hard to say, Dukakis had a big lead and Kerry and Gore were both projecting as winners (by semi-comfortable margins) about that late and later. IIRC.

You point out a very important fact of life in American politics. The only numbers that really matter are the numbers in the big swing states. As we all know, even a 15 point lead among the total population can be meaningless if the guy with fewer total voters supporting him can garner more electoral votes than the other guy. Put another way, if a guy has 95% of the voters in five of the most populous states, but the other guy has 51% support in most of the rest, that guy wins. I just haven't found a poll I trust that targets those states.
    Last edited by Okla-homey; 8/31/2008 at 02:25 PM.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sooner98's Avatar
    vCash

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...obama-225.html

On August 25, the first day of the DNC, RealClearPolitics showed an Obama lead of 1.6 percent (45.5 to 43.9). On August 29, the day after the convention, the lead had grown to just 3.9 percent (47.8 to 43.9).

Only a 2.3 percent bounce, following the greatest speech ever given in the history of mankind. I'm guessing the Dems were hoping for a bigger lead by now. We'll see what happens after McCain speaks on Thursday, but I'm expecting this one to be razor-close all the way to the finish.

Brewmaster

vCash

What has he led before?
    Obama? Does it matter? See, to me, being President is far more about being intelligent enough to surround yourself with highly qualified, trustworthy advisors, and being able to represent the US well.

I'm still undecided here, but the Republicans certainly do NOT have a good track record on "highly qualified, trustworthy advisors."
    ... that's not food.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner98 View Post
    Only a 2.3 percent bounce, following the greatest speech ever given in the history of mankind. I'm guessing the Dems were hoping for a bigger lead by now. We'll see what happens after McCain speaks on Thursday, but I'm expecting this one to be razor-thin all the way to the finish.
    I think they're pretty disappointed in their post convention bounce or lack thereof. Otherwise I think they'd be talking that up more and less about what a "rotten" choice Palin is.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHavePride View Post
    Obama? Does it matter? See, to me, being President is far more about being intelligent enough to surround yourself with highly qualified, trustworthy advisors, and being able to represent the US well.
    I don't disagree with you, but if someone wants to talk about Brack as a leader, well tell me - what has he led?

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 r5TPsooner's Avatar
    vCash

I don't disagree with you, but if someone wants to talk about Brack as a leader, well tell me - what has he led?

Chirp Chirp. Dude, they can't.
    "The true genius shudders at incompleteness and usually prefers silence to saying something which is not everything it should Be."
    -Edgar Allan Poe