SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jerk's Avatar
    vCash

Skinheads on meth attemp to get Obama

Police Investigate Possible Plot To Kill Obama
    Written By Brian Maass
    Section: Democratic National Convention Section
    Reporting
    Brian Maass
    E-mail DENVER (CBS4) ― Law enforcement authorities have arrested two men and several law enforcement sources say the investigation is looking into whether the men intended to harm presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama.

According to multiple sources, Aurora police made a routine traffic stop Sunday morning at 2:38 a.m. and arrested 28-year-old Tharin Gartrell. Sources say he was driving a rented pickup truck. The Secret Service says two rifles were found in his truck along with methamphetamine. Another law enforcement source says he was told at least one of the rifles was a "sniper rifle."

A second source told CBS4 Investigator Brian Maass authorities told officers they are concerned they may have come upon a possible "assassination plot."

That arrest then led authorities to a second man staying at the Cherry Creek Hotel at 600 South Colorado Blvd in Glendale. When authorities knocked on the man's door, they say he jumped out of his sixth floor window, landing on an awning and running from the scene. They say they soon found him with a broken ankle. He too was arrested.

Its unclear precisely why authorities suspect the men were targeting Barack Obama, but one of the officer's who was briefed says he was told at least one of the suspects made statements to that effect.

The Secret Service, ATF and the FBI are all involved in the investigation. A Secret Service spokesman says the agency is concerned by the proximity to the convention and the items found in the man's car.

Tharin Gartrell declined a request to speak to CBS4.

The Aurora Police Department says it will not release any reports on the incident, at the request of federal authorities.

---
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Fred Bastiat

vCash

Re: Skinheads on meth attemp to get Obama

My personal opinion on this is that there is no way some knuckle-head on meth could make a 750 yard shot. Once you get that far out, accurate shooting becomes more of an art and science, rather than a simple point and click. The bullet is falling so fast at this point, that a 25 yard error in estimated distance would throw the impact off. Hell, a slight shift in breeze could throw it off. There was no way they would have succeeded. They don't know what they're doing, and they're dumb.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Fred Bastiat

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

yeah, they didn't have any chance of success. they've already labeled the dudes as pathetic and "no thread whatsoever"

however, this should once again raise concerns that there is no potential president in more danger of assassination than one so different from all previous ones.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SoonerInKCMO's Avatar
    vCash

Where did you get the 750 yard figure?
    We have always known that heedless self-interest was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics. FDR.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member tommieharris91's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerInKCMO View Post

I think that'swhat the sights were set to.
    "If your dream ain't bigger than you, there's a problem with your dream." -Deion Sanders

vCash

Yep, they're dumb.
    - Fred Bastiat

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerInKCMO View Post

I just read it somewhere...hang on..
    - Fred Bastiat

vCash

idiots.

i mean whether or not they would have been successful, at least get there, jeez

you can't lay off the meth for a few hours?

who knew meth saved lives

vCash

Here

Plot to Kill Obama: Shoot From High Vantage Point
    Written By Brian Maass

DENVER (CBS4) ― CBS4 has now learned at least four people are under arrest in connection with a possible plot to kill Barack Obama at his Thursday night acceptance speech in Denver. All are being held on either drug or weapons charges.

CBS4 Investigator Brian Maass reported one of the suspects told authorities they were "going to shoot Obama from a high vantage point using a ... rifle … sighted at 750 yards."

Law enforcement sources tell Maass that one of the suspects "was directly asked if they had come to Denver to kill Obama. He responded in the affirmative."

The story began emerging Sunday morning when Aurora police arrested 28-year-old Tharin Gartrell. He was driving a rented pickup truck in an erratic manner according to sources.

Sources told CBS4 police found two high-powered, scoped rifles in the car along with camouflage clothing, walkie-talkies, a bulletproof vest, a spotting scope, licenses in the names of other people and methamphetamine. One of the rifles is listed as stolen from Kansas.

Subsequently authorities went to the Cherry Creek Hotel to contact an associate of Gartrell's. But that man, who was wanted on numerous warrants, jumped out of a sixth floor hotel window. Law enforcement sources say the man broke an ankle in the fall and was captured moments later. Sources say he was wearing a ring with a swastika, and is thought to have ties to white supremacist organizations.

A third man -- an associate of Gartrell and the hotel jumper was also arrested. He told authorities that the two men "planned to kill Barack Obama at his acceptance speech."

That man, along with a woman, are also under arrest.

The Secret Service, FBI, ATF and the joint terrorism task force are all investigating the alleged plot.

The U.S. Attorney in Denver has scheduled a news conference for Tuesday afternoon.

CBS4 will have new details on this developing story at 10pm.

Additional Resources
    - Fred Bastiat

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jerk View Post
    Oh Robert Van Winkle, is this what it's come to?
    I'm not happy until you're not happy.

vCash

maybe they just wanted to get caught and plastered all over the news

why would they admit that they were after Obama?

of course there is my cynical side that can imagine this being staged by Obamanation...

vCash

They should have just bent the bullet around a building.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    i guess, unless they just wanted to get caught and plastered all over the news

why would they admit that they were after Obama?

of course there is my cynical side that can imagine this being staged by Obamanation...
    And! Isn't the attempt on the life of a President or Pres. Candidate an automatic life sentence?

Wait, maybe not, I seem to remember the guy who shot Brady & Reagan being up for parole.
    - Fred Bastiat

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mdklatt View Post
    heh

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 shaun4411's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mdklatt View Post

hmm... dj qualls and vanilla ice, in cahoots?
    I'm tired of chasing my dreams. I'm just gonna ask where they're going and catch up with them later.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 r5TPsooner's Avatar
    vCash

I fear for the Obama children more that I do him. You just know that some idiots like these will give it a go at least once unfortunately.

If those were my kids, and I was the 1st African American President of this country, they be home skooled.
    "The true genius shudders at incompleteness and usually prefers silence to saying something which is not everything it should Be."
    -Edgar Allan Poe

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    The fact that crazies are going to be coming out of the woodwork to get him seems like more of a reason to not vote for him, so I don't think the sympathy angle would do him any good.
    I'm not happy until you're not happy.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SoonerInKCMO's Avatar
    vCash

If those methheads had known anything, they could've found Obama down in the Brookside neighborhood of KC yesterday... and gotten a lot closer than 750 yards.
    We have always known that heedless self-interest was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics. FDR.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member achiro's Avatar
    vCash

There are crazies on both sides.

BTW, it is always amazing to me, and a testimony of how stupid these types really are, how many of them get caught on a routine traffic stop. I mean if you've got weapons in the car and are planning on killing someone, you'd think they'd be careful on the road.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by achiro View Post
    There are crazies on both sides.

BTW, it is always amazing to me, and a testimony of how stupid these types really are, how many of them get caught on a routine traffic stop. I mean if you've got weapons in the car and are planning on killing someone, you'd think they'd be careful on the road.
    Funny thing is, these guys are so stupid, that if they were to follow the number one rule when talking to police (which is to STFU), then no one would have figured out what they were up to.
    - Fred Bastiat