Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

If they ever can the mortgage interest deduction...

would fewer people buy their homes?

That's my opinion. What do you guys think?
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Re: If they ever can the mortgage interest deduction...

Simply?

Yes.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

vCash

pretty sure i wouldn't have when i did...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member OUHOMER's Avatar
    vCash

A few might, but i would think most people want the American dream. own your own home with the white picket fence.

Now the ones buying the $500,000.00 plus homes might re think buying such a large home. But us poor folk would still buy.
    Posse Member hoping for middle manager, Yep , I dont know ****

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by C&CDean
    I'm a tolerant mother****er.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Tulsa_Fireman's Avatar
    vCash

I'd get my balls smashed in taxes if I did.
    People don't know what it is to be a champion.

Oklahoma INVENTED it.

For years, buying a house has been the closest thing to a sure-fire investment. Then, the bottom dropped out of the real estate market in way too many places. Unless someone knows they can stay long enough to ride out the low times, it may be much less expensive to pay the taxes, rent, and leave than to try to unload a house under duress. That happened to a cousin, and they lost about $100K just to get out from under the mortgage on a house across country from a current job.

vCash

Yup, one of the main reasons to own a home is the tax benefits.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SoonerInKCMO's Avatar
    vCash

And if fewer people did own their homes, would it affect society in any appreciable way? At the small levels of change that removing the tax deduction would lead to, I don't think so.
    We have always known that heedless self-interest was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics. FDR.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Here's a related question. Why should we being subsidizing home owners in the first place?
    I'm not happy until you're not happy.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mdklatt View Post
    Here's a related question. Why should we being subsidizing home owners in the first place?
    Same reason we subsidize people that have kids I guess, meaning I don't know???
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Home ownership is in line with public policy goals.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    Yup, one of the main reasons to own a home is the tax benefits.
    Does it make that much of a difference? It's a deduction, not a tax a credit, and it's only on the interest. What percentage of a typical house payment is interest?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rich View Post
    Home ownership is in line with public policy goals.
    In what way?

Another question: Is there a maximum limit on the duduction, or is McMansion ownership in line with public policy too?

vCash

Does it make that much of a difference? It's a deduction, not a tax a credit, and it's only on the interest. What percentage of a typical house payment is interest?
    Depends on the amount of the loan, for how long it is, etc...Early in the life of the loan most of what you're paying is interest, and not so much towards principal.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Depends on where you are in repayment.

Typically, only figuring P&I, a good rule of thumb is to add up 1 through the number of payments to get a denominator. The first monthly payment is about 1/denominator towards principal. The second is 2/denominator towards principal, etc.

It's not super-precise, but it gives an approximation.

vCash

At the begining about 95% of the payment goes to interest
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Harry Beanbag's Avatar
    vCash

Ours was about 66% last year.

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

In what way?

Another question: Is there a maximum limit on the duduction, or is McMansion ownership in line with public policy too?
    In the way that home ownership is considered good by a consensus of the electorate.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SoonerInKCMO's Avatar
    vCash

I don't remember getting to vote on that.
    We have always known that heedless self-interest was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics. FDR.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rich View Post
    In the way that home ownership is considered good by a consensus of the electorate.
    In other words, the approximately two-thirds of Americans who own their homes consider it good that the other third* gets to help them pay for those homes.

*Not all of this third pays income taxes, some of them support the tax deduction because they want to buy a home some day, yadda yadda.