The "Saving Grace" Clip of Barry Switzer

Switzer back on screen with appearance in 'Saving Grace'

Barry Switzer is no stranger to Hollywood. His credit list is getting long. Switzer has played himself or a quite-the-character coach on "Arli$$” and "Coach” for the small screen and "Any Given Sunday,” "Varsity Blues” and "Possums” for the silver screen.

And now he's back. Switzer will play himself on the Aug. 11 episode of "Saving Grace,” the TNT drama that is set in Oklahoma City and stars Holly Hunter as a troubled police detective who is counseled by an angel.

"It's over the top,” Switzer said. "Holly Hunter's pretty sexy. A rogue. It's about saving a girl that's lost.”

Switzer obviously knows more about the premise than I do. I haven't seen "Saving Grace,” beyond a couple of clips.

Some like the show from an OKC perspective; it's cool to see Oklahoma City cop cars and catch the decidedly Oklahoma names of characters. Hanadarko. Stillwater. Dewey. Ada. Perry.

Others, not so excited. The media critics at thelostogle.com, for instance, decry the appearance of a palm tree in the foreground of a kiosk selling Sooner gear.

The show's creator and executive producer, Nancy Miller, grew up in Oklahoma City and is a big OU fan. When "Saving Grace” was first being filmed, Switzer hosted both Miller and Hunter in his home and took them to a Sooner game.

"They try to promote the Oklahoma Sooners on the show, I know that,” Switzer said.

In the Aug. 11 episode, Switzer is called in for questioning because he once owned the Porsche now driven by Hunter's character, Grace Hanadarko, and trouble is brewing.

Television is nothing new for Switzer, who appeared on three episodes of "Coach” with fellow ex-coaches Hank Stram and George Allen.

"I had so much fun with those guys,” Switzer said. "None of us knew what the hell we were doing. I enjoyed that.

"This was different. I spent five hours doing a one- or two-minute scene. They probably could do it cheaper. But I enjoyed it.”

Clip: http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/...tzer-that.html

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

Re: The "Saving Grace" Clip of Barry Switzer

That RAWK'D

OleVet Posse Instigator

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

Hanadarko?
    “someone's controlling the vibes!"--apache dropout

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 r5TPsooner's Avatar
    vCash

****ing sweet, Thanks
    "The true genius shudders at incompleteness and usually prefers silence to saying something which is not everything it should Be."
    -Edgar Allan Poe

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SoonerInKCMO's Avatar
    vCash

Deer lord that show sucks. Sorry, Barry.
    We have always known that heedless self-interest was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics. FDR.

vCash

I like how he put his ball in her hands.

He truely is The King.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member colleyvillesooner's Avatar
    Out back...in the hot tub, you know, hanging out
    vCash

Awesome
    Sometimes I think I drink alot, then I see, like, the Motley Crüe behind the music, and realize I'm a huge *****.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OULenexaman's Avatar
    Back in beautiful crime free Lenexa...far away from all the Obama loving losers
    vCash

Grace ANADARKO......for the record....on right now.

Ready for Baseball Season tulsaoilerfan's Avatar
    vCash

Think the King hit it?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jimminy Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OULenexaman View Post
    Grace ANADARKO......for the record....on right now.
    Her character actually has an H before Anadarko. There was apparently some legal issue with the name Grace Anadarko, which is why they made the change.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0830900/

vCash

I liked How he Flipped that ball Of that cops desk
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

I haven't seen any episodes this season, but was hopeful that it was going to improve in its depiction of OKC and Oklahoma this season. The Oklahoma Film and Music Office hosted the cast and writers last fall and took them on a whirlwhind tour of OKC. It was a great weekend for them to be here, too. They got to see a huge regatta on the river, OU homecoming, Oklahoma Centennial parade, The Girlie Show, Art on Tap at the Oklahoma City Museum of Art, and several other great events.

I got to meet with them briefly myself, and I think they were to a person extremely impressed with OKC. I think part of the problem is that Nancy Miller hasn't lived in OKC for something like 30 years, and her memory of OKC doesn't jibe with current day reality. She seemed extremely committed to letting the real OKC show through this season.

Unfortunately, the Film and Music office wasn't able to fundraise the several million they were hoping for to bring substantial filiming here this season. A lot of the people they were asking for money couldn't get past the stereotyping in the show, among other things, and had no interest in funding more of it. Next they tried to scale back the funding requests and settle for a bit less filming, but still with the stars here. No dice on that, either.

So they settled for some background shooting, which would allow the actors to shoot on a sound stage and have a green screen behind them with OKC scenes showing up. They did that a couple of months ago.

If the show sees another season, hopefully a way will emerge for them to do some filming in OKC in the future.
    Well, crap.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedJed View Post
    I haven't seen any episodes this season, but was hopeful that it was going to improve in its depiction of OKC and Oklahoma this season. The Oklahoma Film and Music Office hosted the cast and writers last fall and took them on a whirlwhind tour of OKC. It was a great weekend for them to be here, too. They got to see a huge regatta on the river, OU homecoming, Oklahoma Centennial parade, The Girlie Show, Art on Tap at the Oklahoma City Museum of Art, and several other great events.

I got to meet with them briefly myself, and I think they were to a person extremely impressed with OKC. I think part of the problem is that Nancy Miller hasn't lived in OKC for something like 30 years, and her memory of OKC doesn't jibe with current day reality. She seemed extremely committed to letting the real OKC show through this season.

Unfortunately, the Film and Music office wasn't able to fundraise the several million they were hoping for to bring substantial filiming here this season. A lot of the people they were asking for money couldn't get past the stereotyping in the show, among other things, and had no interest in funding more of it. Next they tried to scale back the funding requests and settle for a bit less filming, but still with the stars here. No dice on that, either.

So they settled for some background shooting, which would allow the actors to shoot on a sound stage and have a green screen behind them with OKC scenes showing up. They did that a couple of months ago.

If the show sees another season, hopefully a way will emerge for them to do some filming in OKC in the future.
    Maybe if they stopped spending money on billboards advertising the Oklahoma Lighter Museum, they would have more financial wherewithall to fund their efforts in this area.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

BOOO!!
    Well, crap.

"WHERE'S GUNDY'S SCENE!!1!11!"

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner Born Sooner Bred's Avatar
    vCash

I really like this show. It's a little hokey and far fetched at times, but it's kind of fun to see them eating a Johnnie's hamburger or talking about going to meet a suspect at 23rd and May.

vCash

1st time I watched , Saw the King and heard a Lot Of Boomer Sooners
    Its a great show as far as Im concerned
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !