Thread: Naders!

party pooper
    vCash

Naders!

No, not Ralph...

We just had 2 tornado warnings in rather rapid succession, and straight line winds in parts gusting up to 80 (or so they say...I think they were more like 60).

They came on pretty fast. Unfortunately, our house has one itty bitty bathroom as the only acceptable tornado shelter. Lucky for us, if any of them touched down at all (the warning notices don't say anything about a tornado spotted on the ground...only heavy rotation detected by radar), they touched down a few miles to the north and the other to the southeast.

vCash

Re: Naders!

Glad ur safe .
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Whet's Avatar
    vCash

I was wondering about you up there!
    We just had straight-line winds, no hail....

I do have some buddies that live near Elburn.... haven't heard if they had any problems.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Get the pickup Jimmy!!, time for some nader chasing.

vCash

I hate teh naders.

Glad everything is OK.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Based on what the radar looks like now, you had a derecho blow through--emphasis on blow. Derechoes mean strong winds, but usually not tornadoes, unless you get some "gustnadoes" along the leading edge where there's a crap-ton of vorticity. But storms up that way don't always act like the ones around here, so who knows.

When I get a sailboat, I'm gonna name it Derecho.
    I'm not happy until you're not happy.

party pooper
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mdklatt View Post
    Based on what the radar looks like now, you had a derecho blow through--emphasis on blow. Derechoes mean strong winds, but usually not tornadoes, unless you get some "gustnadoes" along the leading edge where there's a crap-ton of vorticity. But storms up that way don't always act like the ones around here, so who knows.

Blow thru was exactly right.

Tornado sirens went off, and about 2 minutes later, we went from 0 mph winds to 50 mph winds. It was kind of a sight to see...

And yeah, it was the leading edge that spawned the tornado warnings. If we had Gary England up here, he would have been all over the "bow echo".

Val's Getner would have gotten stuck in traffic too.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    we went from 0 mph winds to 50 mph winds
    Pfft, we call that "a sunny day in March" around here, except that it's never zero. "Windy City" my ***.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Whet's Avatar
    vCash

Geez! I found out this morning a tornado hit about 1,000 feet from our house on Monday night!!!!

I was wondering if Ike was getting anything in his area because that was the area the news/weather folks were talking about and warning folks to take cover, etc and didn't know how lucky we were!!!

I was watching the news last night and they had some video of the tornado damage and noticed the houses they were showing looked similar to those by us. So, this morning I check the local news reports trying to find a location of the tornado. That's when I learned how close it was.

vCash

there were Naders in France yesterday.
    Whenever a boy comes you should always have something baking.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Fugue's Avatar
    vCash

this reminds me, we had an 80mph downburst up here in Wichitat the other day. Have any of you weather folks ever seen one of these?
    The folks were all giddy.

party pooper
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Whet View Post
    Geez! I found out this morning a tornado hit about 1,000 feet from our house on Monday night!!!!

I was wondering if Ike was getting anything in his area because that was the area the news/weather folks were talking about and warning folks to take cover, etc and didn't know how lucky we were!!!

I was watching the news last night and they had some video of the tornado damage and noticed the houses they were showing looked similar to those by us. So, this morning I check the local news reports trying to find a location of the tornado. That's when I learned how close it was.

You down in Bolingbrook? I saw on the news that one touched down there yesterday. Glad it missed ya.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonermix's Avatar
    vCash

that sounds scarier than hurricane edouard down here in houston.
    < this space reserved for something clever >

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    No, not Ralph...
    are you sure?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Fugue View Post
    this reminds me, we had an 80mph downburst up here in Wichitat the other day. Have any of you weather folks ever seen one of these?
    A stronger downburst than that ripped up Westheimer in 1992.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Fugue's Avatar
    vCash

A stronger downburst than that ripped up Westheimer in 1992.
    Ah yes, the '92 downburst.

Weird deals. Ours was over the highway so the only victims were the semis and street signs that got blown over. The strangest part of the storm was the 4 inches of hail it dropped.