Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

CSA-Confederate States of America-Great Satire

I just watched this on IFC.The premise is that the South wins the WAR OF NORTERN AGGRESSION.In this world Lincoln is imprisoned for war crimes and later dies in 1905 in exile in Canada.The CSA then RECONSTRUCTS the NORTH,including NYC,Boston which were burnt to the ground in THE WAR.The CSA goes on to conquer Mexico,South America,and the Carribean.

WW 2 starts for the CSA when they launch a massive first attack on the Japanese in the Pacific.I could go on but I think you get the idea.The COMMERCIALS(actually part of the program )were so outrageous that they were a riot(at least to me).The kicker came as I watched the credits and found out it was a Spike Lee production.This apparently came out in 2005 but this was the first I ever even heard of it.
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

Re: CSA-Confederate States of America-Great Satire

SicEm uses that to beat off to.

Hey Johnny...Be sure to put that towel in the hamper when you're done.

Guns & God clinger-to'er.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 frankensooner's Avatar
    vCash

I watched it several months ago and thought of sicem.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sooner98's Avatar
    vCash

A Spike Lee Joint.

vCash

I've thought about watching this movie on Netflix, but tell me honestly........is it just going to **** me off?

If you all think I can finish the thing without throwing my laptop out the window then I'll give it a try.
    Last edited by SicEmBaylor; 7/27/2008 at 02:14 AM.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

i've seen it. the premise eventually runs a little dry, but has some funny moments. i remember the faux commercials were clever.
    “someone's controlling the vibes!"--apache dropout

SoonerFans.com Elite Member 85Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBorn68 View Post

Somehow doesn't have the same effect as seeing The Big Mac return to the Phillipines.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

The slaves on QVC were pretty funny, otherwise I would put it in that Idiocracy class of movies that just missed the mark for me.
    Boomer Sooner

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBorn68 View Post

I'll just use a John McCain t shirt to clean up with.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

I was playing on this awful satire/joke server for Team Fortress 2 when all of the sudden this country jig starts playing. At first, I didn't exactly understand the words, but as the words are repeated over and over, I caught on after awhile that it was "Oh my gawd, I married a ******."

I couldn't believe that such a song existed, but lo and behold, there's a band called Rebel Redneck or something that has the n-word in virtually every single song.

This server is notorious for playing offensive and awful sound clips (like cartoon characters raping each other) and the gameplay is usually a joke as well. I usually resort to this server if I'm having an especially bad day playing on the serious gamer servers. Last time I was on it, it was a slow country song about a father teaching his son to beat and rape women. I don't remember the exact lyrics (Someone else playing was also playing "OVER 9000!" sound clips over and over), but it went something like "You gotta learn how to kick em, son, and learn how to stick em, son..."

Anyways, this thread reminded me of that. If you are a TF2 player, I can send you server info so you can hear these clips too

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Oh, and as long as we're posting funny pics of Obama...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    I was playing on this awful satire/joke server for Team Fortress 2 when all of the sudden this country jig starts playing. At first, I didn't exactly understand the words, but as the words are repeated over and over, I caught on after awhile that it was "Oh my gawd, I married a ******."

I couldn't believe that such a song existed, but lo and behold, there's a band called Rebel Redneck or something that has the n-word in virtually every single song.

This server is notorious for playing offensive and awful sound clips (like cartoon characters raping each other) and the gameplay is usually a joke as well. I usually resort to this server if I'm having an especially bad day playing on the serious gamer servers. Last time I was on it, it was a slow country song about a father teaching his son to beat and rape women. I don't remember the exact lyrics (Someone else playing was also playing "OVER 9000!" sound clips over and over), but it went something like "You gotta learn how to kick em, son, and learn how to stick em, son..."

Anyways, this thread reminded me of that. If you are a TF2 player, I can send you server info so you can hear these clips too
    I played a TON of Team Fortress back in its original Quake mod days.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    I've thought about watching this movie on Netflix, but tell me honestly........is it just going to **** me off?

If you all think I can finish the thing without throwing my laptop out the window then I'll give it a try.
    I liked your first, more honest version of this post better. The one where you said "I don't watch anything by that black arsehole," or something like that.

Anyway, the movie itself is okay. For the record, Spike didn't write or direct. Perhaps as a result, it tends toward repetition and the Important Points get a little bit heavy-handed and none too subtle, but it's definitely an interesting concept and more hit than miss.

Would it **** you off? I don't know. Does the realization that a Confederate victory would have installed a patriarchal, racist government and society **** you off? Then yeah, it will. (Edited to add, a more patriarchal and racist government. )
    Last edited by PhilTLL; 7/27/2008 at 03:44 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PhilTLL View Post
    I liked your first, more honest version of this post better. The one where you said "I don't watch anything by that black arsehole," or something like that.

Anyway, the movie itself is okay. For the record, Spike didn't write or direct. Perhaps as a result, it tends toward repetition and the Important Points get a little bit heavy-handed and none too subtle, but it's definitely an interesting concept and more hit than miss.

Would it **** you off? I don't know. Does the realization that a Confederate victory would have installed a patriarchal, racist government and society **** you off? Then yeah, it will. (Edited to add, a more patriarchal and racist government. )
    I changed it because although what I said was true, I decided that I might be willing to give the movie a shot. I didn't say anything about him being black either. I couldn't care less about that.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Blue's Avatar
    vCash

Well he is a black *******. What's wrong with that? It's like calling someone a white *******. I see no racism in stating fact.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Well he is a black *******. What's wrong with that? It's like calling someone a white *******. I see no racism in stating fact.
    He is a ********* but I think I said he was an ignorant ********* not a black *********.

I only say it matters because race has no bearing on how big a ********* one is.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by King Crimson View Post
    i've seen it. the premise eventually runs a little dry, but has some funny moments. i remember the faux commercials were clever.
    The commercials were the best part,I was ROTFLMAO.I think the premise that the CSA could have won the war is valid up to a point;I do NOT see any scenario where the CSA could have conquered the USA.To further speculate that the South would then conquer Mexico,Central and South America ,and the Carribean is absurd.

I personally believe even if the South had won eventually slavery would collapsed anyhow as it is an unwieldy instittion in a industrialized world.The perception that Chinese and Jews would also be added to the slave rolls is just Spike being Spike.IMHO his main motive in any endeavor is to bash Whitey and promote the idea of African-Americans as downtrodden victims of Whitey.

Taking this as pure satire(not IMO the point of the makers)I found it entertaining.I find it once again ironic that THE SLANG TERM for Negroes was prominent in this movie.I would hazrd a guess that there would have been great outrage over this if it were say a 20th Cenrury Fox piece rather than Spike Lee.
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 MR2-Sooner86's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoopified View Post
    I personally believe even if the South had won eventually slavery would collapsed anyhow as it is an unwieldy instittion in a industrialized world.The perception that Chinese and Jews would also be added to the slave rolls is just Spike being Spike.IMHO his main motive in any endeavor is to bash Whitey and promote the idea of African-Americans as downtrodden victims of Whitey.
    Peter Griffin: It's like most white guy's lines in Spike Lee movies.
    Black guy: Hey can I have a small pizza and a coke?
    White guy: ROAR!!! GRRRRRRR!!!! ARGHHHHH!!!!
    Loved By The People
    "you are a disgusting pig and should be punished for such vile language. Would you like your mom to see that you wrote that? YOU=Disgusting pig."
    "you lack any semblance of taste and suggest substandard upbringing and education"
    "Guess what? You're a ****ing dildo!"
    "You're an asshat!"
    "racist pig by any chance?"

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoopified View Post
    The perception that Chinese and Jews would also be added to the slave rolls is just Spike being Spike.

I would hazrd a guess that there would have been great outrage over this if it were say a 20th Cenrury Fox piece rather than Spike Lee.
    This:

Quote Originally Posted by PhilTLL View Post
    He's not even listed as a producer.