Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Chuck Bao's Avatar
    vCash

Baby kitten / attack kitten

This is my first attempt at raising a baby cat, so I need help and suggestions.

Baby Kitten Cat will turn one year next month. Khun Nope and I are planning the birthday party, but that’s not my question.

My question is about Baby Kitten Cat’s tendency to bite and scratch and be really, really naughty. Khun Nope says Baby Cat is demon possessed and has suggested that we give him up.

I’m not at that desperation point, just yet.

But, I’m getting close to that point as I was told yesterday morning that Baby Cat attacks the maid and the maid is scared to clean the apartment and that isn’t a good thing since the maid is employed by the apartment building management and I’m not supposed to have a pet.

Before you offer your suggestions, I’ve bought every cat toy in cat toy store land. Despite all these play things, Baby Cat’s favourite play thing is a roll of toilet paper. And, that’s pretty much a blessing in getting Baby Cat focused on something besides my feet and hands.

I do not reward Baby Cat for biting. I do not play with cat in inappropriate ways. In fact, I spank that cat. But, the cat purrs when I spank it and that isn’t something like I would expect.

Baby Cat’s favourite spot is under my chair while I’m working on my computer and he bites and scratches any foot or leg or hand or arm that is made available. It is pretty embarrassing the number of bandaids on my hands and finger.

I’ve tried to stop that, but the cat bows up and I can’t believe that Baby Cat actually thinks he has a chance of winning in a fight with me.

He may be demon possessed, but he is my cat and I did rescue him and his sister from a dumpster about 11 months ago. I will continue to try my best.

Anyone have any good cat rescue stories?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Tulsa_Fireman's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Baby kitten / attack kitten

Put him in the kumite.

People don't know what it is to be a champion.

Oklahoma INVENTED it.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

For the scratching, your best bet is to get a scratching post and your cat will get its scratchies out on it. Also, remember to clip the cat's nails. They can get sharp. There really is no way to teach a cat not to scratch, because it's natural. Just give it a place to scratch other than your skin and it will.

For the biting, it has to cut its teeth, so it might be doing it on you, eh? Baby kitty probably thinks its just playing with you - your feet/toes are easy targets, because cats, by nature, pounce at anything that moves. If it isn't too difficult, tire the kitty out of its playfulness with a string, a laser (it's super effective!) or another fetch toy. If it's tired of playing, it won't play with the feets, and therefore, no bite.

My guess is your baby kitty just needs some playtime, hence its weird tendency to purr when you spank it (Baby kitty: "Ooo! Are we playing a game?!"), or maybe it is just a very happy cat.

NP and I are both cat people, so keep the board updated!

vCash

Shoot it.

That should cure the scratching.

Oklahoma INVENTED it.

vCash

Badger Hit it
    Either that or you gota a S&M cat
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

That's hawt.

Oklahoma INVENTED it.

vCash

Aint there a Chink resturant you can drop her off to ?
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

vCash

Send it to the Olympics!

They're not gonna serve dog, so that's gotta open up the menu.

Oklahoma INVENTED it.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tulsa_Fireman View Post
    Send it to the Olympics!

They're not gonna serve dog, so that's gotta open up the menu.
    good point

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Chuck Bao's Avatar
    vCash

This is something I shouldn't admit to, but I'm not the best in the common sense department.

Yesterday, Khun Nope and I had the following conversation.

Nope: If petrol prices rise any further, I'm buying a horse.

Me: Have you ever ridden a horse before?

Nope: No, but I bet I can.

Me: Do you know how much it costs to feed a horse?

Nope: No.

Me: Would you eat the horse?

Nope: Maybe.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Bao View Post
    This is something I shouldn't admit to, but I'm not the best in the common sense department.

Yesterday, Khun Nope and I had the following conversation.

Nope: If petrol prices rise any further, I'm buying a horse.

Me: Have you ever ridden a horse before?

Nope: No, but I bet I can.

Me: Do you know how much it costs to feed a horse?

Nope: No.

Me: Would you eat the horse?

Nope: Maybe.
    Sounds Logical to me
    Hell I know I would
    My kid gave away a 1500 Lb Horse I said Why? he said he couldnt afford to feed her
    I said why didnt YOU eat her ?

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

The cat will stop biting on his own after he grows up a bit. Both of mine did the same thing when they were little. A year is a bit long for that to go on, though.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

Chuck,

1. Declaw...works wonders...but then you will have an indoor cat, not a problem for you I would bet.

2. When the cat starts in on the "I'm the boos attitude" Mrs. THA picks up our 2-year old cat by the scruff of the neck and holds him up till he calms down. She will also pin him against the furniture he is resting on to show him she is boss. He generally calms down shortly after this.

3. Spay or neuter. big help on the male kitties.
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

vCash

4. Paint a white stripe down its back and throw it in the neighbor's bathtub with him in it while screaming, "SKUUUUUUUUUUUUUNK!"

Oklahoma INVENTED it.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Flagstaffsooner's Avatar
    vCash

Spray bottle with water.
    posse member

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Flagstaffsooner View Post
    Spray bottle with water.
    I've heard of this one as well...

...and it's gentler then my preferred method of givin them a boot in the ***.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Angry Re: Baby kitten / attack kitten

Quote Originally Posted by TheHumanAlphabet View Post
    Chuck,

1. Declaw...works wonders...but then you will have an indoor cat, not a problem for you I would bet.
    NO! If YOU experienced declawing you'd vote NO too!
    Have you ever watched the procedure?

Plus, if the cat ever sneaks out and is attacked, he can neither fight nor flee up a tree.

Pay no attention to the Alphabet behind the curtain!

LF

A veterinarian friend of ours said that having at least eight weeks with the mother is a big key to a well-behaved pet. Apparently, kittens and puppies learn the "Don't bite/scratch/spit" lesson during the 7th and 8th weeks.

Then, when the kitten first arrives at your home, set it up in a small area with a litter box on one end of the room and food and water on the other end. Add a cozy place to sleep. A bathroom or laundry room can work well. Play with the kitten in that room and gradually expand its domain. Just like a child, giving him lots of attention early on will make him secure and less dependent on you later.

If he plays too rough or tries to bite or scratch, pick him up by the scruff of the neck, look him in the eyes, and say "no". It sends an immediate message that he needs to stop because you say so and you're the boss, but it doesn't hurt him. He will try to avert his eyes, but he will get it eventually.

A water bottle works great to train him to stay off furniture and counters or to stop him in his tracks.

Just as with children, consistency is the key. It's seven times harder to re-learn a habit than to learn it right from the beginning. He will accelerate his bad behavior to test you before he starts to behave.

Good luck!

vCash

If the above advice don't work...

You might try something different...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by LoyalFan View Post
    NO! If YOU experienced declawing you'd vote NO too!
    Have you ever watched the procedure?

Plus, if the cat ever sneaks out and is attacked, he can neither fight nor flee up a tree.

Pay no attention to the Alphabet behind the curtain!

LF
    Understand your sentiment. I also understand the fact that you are basically removing one knuckle joint. I would rather trim nails, but then I am not home and Mrs. THA didn't want to fight the claws. She had the overriding opinion. If you know that the cat will only be an indoor cat, it may be an option, pending your opinion of the "mutulation" issue, otherwwise, I wouldn't declaw.
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.