Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jerk's Avatar
    vCash

Sen. Warner want to end all non-essential travel

http://www.azconservative.org/Semmens1.htm

Senator Calls for Halt to Automobile Travel as Oil Conservation Measure

Senator John Warner (R-Virginia) suggested that Congress consider banning unnecessary automobile travel in order to help save gasoline. “In 1974, when we faced oil prices of $12 per barrel, Congress set a national 55 mph speed limit,” Warner remembered. “Studies showed that this saved 167,000 barrels of oil per day and reduced highway fatalities by an estimated 4,000 per year. Now, with oil prices more than ten-times higher we need more drastic action.”

Under Warner’s proposal all non-essential automobile travel would be banned. A “Bureau of Travel Permits” would be established within the Department of Transportation and charged with determining what travel would qualify as “essential.” Preliminary discussions have indicated that travel by government officials would easily qualify as essential. Most trips by private citizens are expected to be accomplished via public transit. Carpools of five or more may be granted temporary permits subject to periodic audits of the participating members.

“Considering that about 90% of the travel is likely non-essential—I mean, only a small fraction of the population has truly important reasons for going by car—we could save 18 million barrels of oil daily,” Warner calculated. “We’d also reduce highway fatalities by around 35,000 a year. Our air would be cleaner. And we’d save billions by cutting back on roadway construction.” Warner apologized for “not getting this brilliant idea sooner,” but expressed gratitude “for the high prices that have enabled me to finally see the light.”

---------

Yeah, it's a joke.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Fred Bastiat

vCash

Re: Sen. Warner want to end all non-essential travel

Another Republican turns liberal.

What a shame.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member tbl's Avatar
    vCash

For a second there I was about to flip out...

vCash

What an idiot. If it were real.

The sad part is that it sounds like something a politician would really propose.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Dio's Avatar
    vCash

Did that Husker fan write that?
    "ESPN and Texas are now one and the same." -Stewart Mandel

SoonerFans.com Elite Member sooner_born_1960's Avatar
    vCash

From the same article.

UN Suggests Hostage Crisis May Have Been Improperly Handled
    The United Nations is reported to be considering ordering the return of the 60 recently freed hostages of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) to their captors because “their release was obtained through deceptive and dishonest means.”
    “The Colombian government agents misrepresented who they were and failed to carry out the agreed upon exchange,” said UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon.
    To carry out the rescue mission, Colombian security forces infiltrated FARC, posing as members who were ordered to transport the hostages as part of a trade for the release of imprisoned rebels.
    “If we let this go we run the risk of abetting lies as the basis for international relations,” warned Ban. “Do we really want to go down this path?”

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Flagstaffsooner's Avatar
    vCash

Isnt that the idiot that was married to Liz Pills Taylor?
    posse member

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

There is now a proposal to further slow down the economy, in the form of reinstating the 55 mile speed limit. NOT joking.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Animal Mother's Avatar
    Fort Worth, Tejas Alliance Airport Runway 5
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! View Post
    There is now a proposal to further slow down the economy, in the form of reinstating the 55 mile speed limit. NOT joking.
    Link

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Animal Mother View Post
    Link
    Yeah, I don't know why Jerk said it was a joke.
    http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0708/11525.html
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

Jerk was referring to the banning of travel sir.
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner_Havok's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! View Post
    Since El ******-O, err, El Rush-Baux has me on ignore, can someone else please explain to me why lowering the speed limit hurts the economy?

BTW, I WON'T drive 55
    If I am right, then religious fundamentalists will not go to Heaven, because there is no Heaven. If THEY are right, then they will not go to Heaven, because they are hypocrites.

-Isaac Asimov

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Dio's Avatar
    vCash

"ESPN and Texas are now one and the same." -Stewart Mandel

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner_Havok View Post
    Since El ******-O, err, El Rush-Baux has me on ignore, can someone else please explain to me why lowering the speed limit hurts the economy?
    I hurts the economy of the oil industry, and they're the ones making all the money, duh!
    I'm not happy until you're not happy.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mdklatt View Post
    I hurts the economy of the oil industry, and they're the ones making all the money, duh!
    Damn, it was so easy, even a "liberal" could see it I must be pretty dumb eh?
    If I am right, then religious fundamentalists will not go to Heaven, because there is no Heaven. If THEY are right, then they will not go to Heaven, because they are hypocrites.

-Isaac Asimov

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner_Havok View Post
    Damn, it was so easy, even a "liberal" could see it
    Seriously, the increased time it would take to transport goods cross-country might have some effect. Probably not as much effect as oil at $150/bbl, though. I do find it curious that the pubz seem to be against any and all measures to reduce oil consumption.

Higher CAFE standards? It'll hurt the auto industry!

CFL bulbs? Mumble mumble MERCURY mumble mumble AL GORE!

Lower speed limits? But I want my Amazon purchase NOW!
    I'm not happy until you're not happy.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mdklatt View Post
    Seriously, the increased time it would take to transport goods cross-country might have some effect. Probably not as much effect as oil at $150/bbl, though. I do find it curious that the pubz seem to be against any and all measures to reduce oil consumption.

Higher CAFE standards? It'll hurt the auto industry!

CFL bulbs? Mumble mumble MERCURY mumble mumble AL GORE!

Lower speed limits? But I want my Amazon purchase NOW!
    the irony with that is that in most states the posted speed limit for ground transports is roughly 10 mph lower than the speed limit for personal vehicles.
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Scott D View Post
    the irony with that is that in most states the posted speed limit for ground transports is roughly 10 mph lower than the speed limit for personal vehicles.
    And I heard a lot of trucker have decided to slow the **** down anyway to save diesel.

-Isaac Asimov