Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

My, My, what a difference a few months makes...

When BHO was sweeping HRC's legs in the primary campaign, it was "everybody out of Iraq within 16 months of my inauguration -- two combat brigades a month, no excuses." Of course, that really went over huge among the anti-war set.

Now that he's got his nom locked-up and faces someone with substantive experience in national security policy, BHO said this morning, he didn't really mean it. He said he'd "listen to the commanders on the ground" and take their advice.

Now, would that be a "flip," or a "flop," or just plain old garden-variety saying whatever he needs to say to get elected?

Mind you, I approve of this new position of no timetables and no guarentees, held for a couple hours today. But hold the phone! The pollsters revealed that didn't go down well with his Big Rock Candy Mounties. He had another press conference this afternoon to clarify he still favors his 16 month timetable. It's enough to make a feller dizzy.

Seems to me, if a person is looking for a "get out of Iraq NOW" candidate, there weren't any left...until this afternoon. Even after the pressie, BHO says we'll need "residual troops" in Iraq. Can anyone remember "Diem Bin Phu?" You know, "residual troops" the French left to mind the store while they pulled most everyone else out of French Indochina. Oh well, tomorrow's another day.

Maybe he'll hedge, obfuscate and prevaricate again. After all, he's winging it.

Kinda like the "I will take public campaign dollars" but after his peeps told him the campaign was flush, he said something to the effect of "never mind."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080703/D91MKTFG1.html
    Last edited by Okla-homey; 7/4/2008 at 07:07 AM.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

Re: My, My, what a difference a few months makes...

You're gonna blow an aneurysm if this guy becomes your next president, huh?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KC//CRIMSON View Post
    You're gonna blow an aneurysm if this guy becomes your next president, huh?
    Nope. If it happens, he'll be my Commander-in-Chief and he'll have my support, loyalty and prayers.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

Quote Originally Posted by Okla-homey View Post
    Nope. If it happens, he'll be my Commander-in-Chief and he'll have my support, loyalty and prayers.
    So you won't support him before the vote, but you will after the election?

Sounds like a flip-flop to me.

vCash

So you won't support him before the vote, but you will after the election?

Sounds like a flip-flop to me......
    Nope. Until he's elected, he's just a extremely liberal scam artist. If he wins a majority of the Electoral College, under our system, he's The Man and I STFU.

Nope. Until he's elected, he's just a extremely liberal scam artist. If he wins a majority of the Electoral College, under our system, he's The Man and I STFU.
    Homey...Homey...Homeboy

That is the biggest piece of cake in the history of having your cake and eating it too. Hope you gotta big fork!

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Er, Homey, did you bother to read the link you posted? 'Cause it directly contradicts what you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Homey's Link
    He said what he learns from military commanders on his upcoming trip to Iraq will refine his policy but "not the 16-month timetable" for withdrawing U.S. troops from combat in Iraq. He said what he learns could affect how many residual troops might be needed to train the Iraqi army and police.
    Last edited by Frozen Sooner; 7/3/2008 at 11:34 PM.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

vCash

I guess Homester shoulda Linked this one also .
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080704/..._pr/obama_iraq
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    I guess Homester shoulda Linked this one also .
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080704/..._pr/obama_iraq
    Which still doesn't say what he claimed.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SCOUT's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rich View Post
    Which still doesn't say what he claimed.
    It clarifies (or spins) it though. Is Barack taking John up on his invite to visit Iraq together or does he prefer to go it alone?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

When BHO was sweeping HRC's legs in the primary campaign, i was posting a new thread every week about how he couldn't win the nomination...
    fixed.
    “someone's controlling the vibes!"--apache dropout

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

"Clinton may have been the First Black President, but Obama is the First Black Clinton!"-Beau Snerdley circa 6-30-08
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! View Post
    "Clinton may have been the First Black President, but Obama is the First Black Clinton!"-Beau Snerdley circa 6-30-08
    wait, my friend, i thought Obama=Jimmy Carter? now, it's the Clinton smear you are working--i get it, slick and style over substance, can't be trusted etc.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by King Crimson View Post
    wait, my friend, i thought Obama=Jimmy Carter? now, it's the Clinton smear you are working--i get it, slick and style over substance, can't be trusted etc.
    Does what you have said mean you think Obama would be an acceptable president?
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

I always put the 'out of Iraq in X months' campaign pledge in the same boat as Bush's 'no new taxes' pledge.

Both are transparent appeals to the base, and both are promises you know up front that might very well be beyond their ability to fulfill.

(At least, if they're sane and willing to look at the then-present facts and determine the correct course. If they stick to it in spite of facts indicating they shouldn't, then you've got a real problem.)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! View Post
    Does what you have said mean you think Obama would be an acceptable president?
    a pretty loaded question, what does "acceptable" mean (other than you find him unacceptable)? who is the agent of "accepting"? i generally vote 3rd party for the POTUS. somebody has to.

for me, politics isn't so much choosing a favorite/partisan team and pulling for them in November.

vCash

Homey...Homey...Homeboy

That is the biggest piece of cake in the history of having your cake and eating it too. Hope you gotta big fork!
    I find it unsettling that you find the notion of loyal opposition somehow bizarre. Its the way it's supposed to work in a democracy. It was more common in the era when people respected the office of the president. People on both ends (far lefties who hate W and far righties who hated WJC) have done the country a great disservice by dismantling that notion in the minds of many.

Have you ever had to work for someone you didn't care for? IMHO, at that point, a person of character has precisely two choices. 1) do their best at their job or, 2) quit. It's destructive, divisive and dishonest to keep that gig while b1tching, moaning and belittling that boss.

I realize its not exactly the same thing when we're talking about a president and the people, but there was a time the above view was the norm. I think it was a better time. Its one thing to disagree with a presidential policy, its quite another to demonize its proponent. Far too much of that nowadays, and it doesn't make things any better. That's why, if BHO pulls it off, he'll have my support and respect. Like I said though, until that day, I'll fight him.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by King Crimson View Post
    fixed.
    How was I to know it would become considered racist to be critical of BHO? At its essence, that's why HRC lost it.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member AlbqSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Sounds like some of BHO's advisers told him that if he becomes President he will be privvy to the National Security briefings. That has changed the minds of many who assume the office and learn what they are really dealing with.
    Unfortunately the man reeks of political expedience. That, to me is bothersome. However, until someone who can show me a politician who does NOT reek of political expedience I suppose I will just keep the grains of salt at hand.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with ketchup.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by AlbqSooner View Post
    Sounds like some of BHO's advisers told him that if he becomes President he will be privvy to the National Security briefings. That has changed the minds of many who assume the office and learn what they are really dealing with.
    Unfortunately the man reeks of political expedience. That, to me is bothersome. However, until someone who can show me a politician who does NOT reek of political expedience I suppose I will just keep the grains of salt at hand.
    In all fairness, W hasn't seemed to sweat political expediency too much. He tried to fix Social Security, which remains that fabled "third rail" of politics, and this war in Iraq hasn't exactly been serenely accepted by some folks.