Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

I sat thru a three-hour lecture today on "commercial paper"

That's "checks" and "notes" to the English speaking world. I must say, that was the single most difficult to endure presentation I have ever had the displeasure of being awake through. evar.

"Holder in Due Course"

mercy.

That is all.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

vCash

Re: I sat thru a three-hour lecture today on "commercial paper"

Quote Originally Posted by Okla-homey View Post
    That's "checks" and "notes" to the English speaking world. I must say, that was the single most difficult to endure presentation I have ever had the displeasure of being awake through. evar.

"Holder in Due Course"

mercy.

That is all.
    Word to the wise.

Get you some of those glasses and tell them you just got lasik surgery. Oh and try not to snore.
    405>580>1-900>918

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Chuck Bao's Avatar
    vCash

I wouldn't have lasted 3 hours. I think everything I need to know about commercial paper can be condensed into 10 minutes with a useful glossary of terms.

I have to go to a training course every 3 years to keep my analyst license. This time, they tell me that if I teach the course it still counts. It has to be a 3-hour course. Why does anyone think that 3 hours of a boring lecture would be better than a short 30-minute one with "listen up, folks, this is what you need to know"?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerus's Avatar
    vCash

law 101...

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okla-homey View Post

"Holder in Due Course"

mercy.

That is all.
    Welcome to my world.

Just say "UCC1" and "UCC3" a bunch and you should sail through.

Oh, and make sure you spell "endorsement" as "indorsement."

And remember that checks don't have makers. Contracts have makers. Checks aren't contracts.

And that the last indorser on a check is giving a guarantee that all indorsements are genuine.

And that the bank of first deposit is guaranteeing that the final indorsement is genuine or that the person named as final indorser has received credit for said check.

I'll see if I can't come up with any more painfully obvious stuff for you.
    Last edited by Frozen Sooner; 5/30/2008 at 11:26 PM.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

“someone's controlling the vibes!"--apache dropout

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Mongo's Avatar
    vCash

A check maybe considered a contract, it just depends on the state laws. If there is a dispute between two parties and one writes the other a check and in the memo line writes "Payment in Full" that could be a binding agreement.

Judge Judy tought me that ****

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    A check maybe considered a contract, it just depends on the state laws. If there is a dispute between two parties and one writes the other a check and in the memo line writes "Payment in Full" that could be a binding agreement.

Judge Judy tought me that ****
    A check can include contractual language on the back (known as a conditional endorsement.) A check, in and of itself, does not constitute a contract. It is a direction to the institution it is drawn on to pay on demand a set sum to a named entity.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Mjcpr's Avatar
    vCash

Heheheheh, he said tity.

vCash

say gentleman A is a landlord. Genteman B is the renter. There was a dispute over how much closing out their business dealing would cost. If B wrote a check for 1200 smokes, and signed in the memo line "paid in full", and A accepted the check and cashed it.

now A is suing B for more money. B can be saved, depending on what state he lives in, due to his writing "paid in full" in the memo line. A agreed to the original terms buy accepting the check and cashing it.

vCash

1200 smokes? That's like 60 packs, ergo, 6 cartons.

What if he doesn't smoke, then what? Can you make it out in samolians? I'm not sure of the exchange rate.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mjcpr View Post
    1200 smokes? That's like 60 packs, ergo, 6 cartons.

What if he doesn't smoke, then what? Can you make it out in samolians? I'm not sure of the exchange rate.
    the exchange rate of somolians is in your favor. They are competing with the Euro

vCash

Euros have the tiny peeners, right?

vCash

no, they have the "turtle neck" peeners.

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

That's an interesting defense to liability. Call it the "Eric B. and Rakim" defense, I guess.

The point remains-while a contract may be written on a check, the check itself is not a contract.

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Thinkin of a master plan
    Cuz ain't nuthin but sweat inside my hand
    So I dig into my pocket, all my money is spent
    So I dig deeper but still comin up with lint
    So I start my mission- leave my residence
    Thinkin how could I get some dead presidents

I need money, I used to be a stick-up kid
    So I think of all the devious things I did
    I used to roll up, this is a hold up, ain't nuthin funny
    Stop smiling, be still, don't nuthin move but the money
    But now I learned to earn cos I'm righteous
    I feel great! so maybe I might just
    Search for a 9 to 5, if I strive
    Then maybe I'll stay alive
    So I walk up the street whistlin this
    Feelin out of place cos, man, do I miss
    A pen and a paper, a stereo, a tape of
    Me and Eric B, and a nice big plate of
    Fish, which is my favorite dish
    But without no money it's still a wish
    Cos I don't like to dream about gettin paid
    So I dig into the books of the rhymes that I made
    To now test to see if I got pull
    Hit the studio, cos I'm paid in full

vCash

okay

vCash

I am jealous of Pat's neatly trimmed, non-euro penis. his parents did him right

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    say gentleman A is a landlord. Genteman B is the renter. There was a dispute over how much closing out their business dealing would cost. If B wrote a check for 1200 smokes, and signed in the memo line "paid in full", and A accepted the check and cashed it.

now A is suing B for more money. B can be saved, depending on what state he lives in, due to his writing "paid in full" in the memo line. A agreed to the original terms buy accepting the check and cashing it.
    but like most general rules, there is an exception. This was actually covered in said boring-a$$ lecture. BTW, you are referring to the "full accord and satisfaction rule." If the payee gets a check so marked, even if some doofus in his company deposits it, he can (so long as he doesn't wait too long) say to himself "waitaflippinminute," return the funds to the person who gave him that check, and they start over from their original positions.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 47straight's Avatar
    vCash

Quitcherbitchin, homey, and just do a *ton* of example problems on said topic.
    “Some people who attend the University of Oklahoma seem to represent different values than some people who attend the University of Texas.” -- Mr. J. Mcfarland

"[Christian Scott]'s off the team the day of the incident and I guarantee you he won't be back." -- Typical Dallas horn fan