Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

Re: "SONICWATCH," official thread

I was such a Reign Man fan I knew pretty much everything about the guy except for the fact Sean Sutton is the reason he didn't end up at Kentucky.

Badger that list of draft picks looks about as the list of Chicago Bears QBs after Jim McMahon...Some of those guys were darn good but not for Seattle

1991...Wasn't Rich King that 7'1 or 2 guy from Nebraska?

I liked Dana Barros shooting the 3..

Ervin Johnson...I remember Karl would start Johnson and or McIlvaine at Center, they would play 3 or 4 minutes and then ride pine for the rest of the game pretty much..never understand why he started them in the first place

One of my favorite other Sonics...the WindexMan

Bazinga

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

STEP-you may be jealous to know that my first ever live NBA game was game 6 of the 1993 Western Conference finals. Kemp. Payton. Barkley. Marjele.

Good stuff. Sonics ran them off the court.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

vCash

Holy Carp dude..you caught about half of my all time favorites in one game.....let me think of some of the guys that probably played in that one

Sam Perkins...big smooth...you know that dude lit up the bong before the big game

Kevin Johnson...Somehow forgotten over the years...

Mar-jelly as I used to call him....game 4 or 5 he set the record for 3's with 8 in a game

Friggin Tom Chambers.....Eddie Johnson....Ricky Pierce.....Cedric Ceballos...Nate McMillan...The Big O Oliver Miller...Richard Dumas in one of his non cracked out years

KJ vs the Glove....Kemp vs Barkley...Now I'm all friggin giddy
    Bazinga

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Yeah, it was pretty amazing. Don't forget that Magic Johnson was also on the floor as a color commentator for NBC.

Big Smooth was definitely high a lot of the time. He used to do a show on KUBE-FM called the "Big Smooth Power Hour" and I swear you could hear people doing bong hits while he was on-air.

Anyhow, the next year the Sonics acquired Etlef (no D in my name or my game) Schrempf and Kendall Gill, managed to choke away a 2-0 series lead vs. the Nuggests in round one after posting one of the best records ever...and the rest is history.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

vCash

Yeah....I still despise Mutumbo to this day for that series....
    Bazinga

vCash

I tried to mimic his flat footed 3 point shot and I was able to get pretty good at it but my coaches made me give it up

Bazinga

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Dio's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsontothecore View Post
    This has nothing to do with one city against the other and I never said it did. I stated my opinion over and over and over again but you're obviously too bored to listen to me jack myself off one more time.
    If you can't stand me tirelessly beating the dead horse that is my lame, ill-conceived opinion into the ground, then just add me to your ignore list and neg me a few more times.
    Now, bring me a tissue!
    Fixed, and done.
    "ESPN and Texas are now one and the same." -Stewart Mandel

vCash

and then later a savior would come to try and deliver the team a championship...His name...David Wingate...oh and he brought Hersey Hawkins too
    Bazinga

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Yay, real discussion!

SONICWATCH now tributes the year 1979...

- This is the last year you can be born in to be considered a Generation X'er. After that, BOOMERANG GENERATION, Baby!

Or Generation Y. That's more boring

- Margaret Thatcher, heroine to Republicans worldwide, becomes Brit's prime minister

- JP2, Pope John Paul II, visits native Poland, which has turned communist, thus he is the first pope to ever visit a communist country.

-Jimmy Carter is still a loser

-Susan B. Anthony becomes a failure in her own right for trying to become a popular dollar... unfortunately, we are not Canada and don't like our dollars in coins.

-The great Iran Hostage Crisis, proving that Carter is a wussy and doesn't have as powerful friends as future prez Reagan and original Bush.

-China and U.S. make relations good again! China reaches 1 billion people! China subsequently tells its people to stop having so many d@mn kids by making the one-child policy.

-Red scare at all-time high, but if communism doesn't scare you, perhaps the Klan scare will! If that doesn't scare you, the gay scare will ("gay scare?!" ok, that just sounds stupid). There are many reasons to be scared this year!

- That is, unless you are a Sonics fan. This is, to date, the only championship that Sonics have won. The closest time they have come since is 1996, losing to Jordan-led Chicago Bulls 4-2 in the finals. However, it should also be noted that they were never close to winning this series.

So here's to you, 1979.

The Supersonics: Losing Seattle's interest since 1979.

The Sonics: Moving closer to Oklahoma City ever since Hurricane Katrina.

The Sonic Boomers: Worst name suggested for a franschise since anything suggested by the WNBA.

The Thunderbirds: LONG LIVE NBA IN OKLAHOMA!

vCash

1979 Seattle featured one mister Dennis Johnson, who go on to be a thorn in my Laker loving side later on in his career..RIP DJ

Bazinga

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner_Havok's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    Yay, real discussion!
    What, saying Tulsa sucks is discussion

It doesn't by the way.

Hell, I don't even like basketballs and I am getting excited about us joining the big leagues finally
    If I am right, then religious fundamentalists will not go to Heaven, because there is no Heaven. If THEY are right, then they will not go to Heaven, because they are hypocrites.

-Isaac Asimov

vCash

I think the NBA will work in OKC because it brings us out of the darkness of obscurity. People will be proud to have a pro sports team to support. It takes along time for something like that to wear off around here. That alone is enough motivation in this neck of the woods. The opportunity to see national celebrities such as Kobe and Shaq when they come to town is also a huge motivating factor right there. Heaven forbid if the team is actually good or if they ever draft a local sports icon. (I would love to see Najera traded from Denver)

Naming the team OKC something is also not a jab at any town outside of the area. I cannot understand how this would be an issue. I would support a pro team if it was located in Tulsa regardless of the name. It is a pro team located in my area.
    405>580>1-900>918

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Big Red Ron's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner_Havok View Post
    What, saying Tulsa sucks is discussion

It doesn't by the way.

Tulsa doesn't suck. It's just not in the big leagues like OKC.
    Know thy self,
    know thy enemy.
    A thousand battles,
    a thousand victories. - Sun Tzu (500 B.C.)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Ron View Post
    Tulsa doesn't suck. It's just not in the big leagues like OKC.
    (slaps Ron)
    STOP IT!

vCash

(slaps Ron)
    STOP IT!
    sorry. have some green.
    Know thy self,
    know thy enemy.
    A thousand battles,

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Ron View Post
    sorry. have some green.
    Anytime you have a inkling of a sense to shizzle on Tulsa for ANY reason, I want you bite your tongue... oh wait, this is a message board. Ok, bite your fingers. And when your fingers feel numb from all the pain, just think about how happy you are to live in the great state of Oklahoma and all that its fabulous cities have to offer.

Ok, now you may stop biting.

vCash

Anytime you have a inkling of a sense to shizzle on Tulsa for ANY reason, I want you bite your tongue... oh wait, this is a message board. Ok, bite your fingers. And when your fingers feel numb from all the pain, just think about how happy you are to live in the great state of Oklahoma and all that its fabulous cities have to offer.

Ok, now you may stop biting.
    I know, I know, stating the obvious is boring reading.
    Know thy self,
    know thy enemy.
    A thousand battles,

vCash

Good morning and welcome to another edition of SONICWATCH, where the only thing more exciting than a trial is a pre-trial, which is set to begin today...

News-Trib: Pretrial news

Besides, with all this litigation, is a move really necessary?
    NewsOK: No, a Sonic move is not necessary despite all that OKC tax money

But Schultz should just shut up, because isn't there a statute of limitations on former owner's rights?
    Seattle P-I: Too late, loser!

But even if neither side comes out ahead and loses a lot of money, you can still make money!
    Seattle P-I: Bet on the Sonics outcome.

But remember, Oklahoma basketball fans - there are some cities out there that have no hope of getting an NBA franchise, so even if there's a chance we won't, there's still a chance!
    The Pitch (Kansas City): We have no chance in hell.

Until next time, you will be beyonce slapped by a real, live beyonce every time you insult a fellow Oklahoma city. Later!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Dio's Avatar
    vCash

If, as Yarmuth contends, a lease is with the ownership group and not the team itself, why is Seattle trying to enforce a lease against Bennett that was signed 2 or 3 owners back?
    "ESPN and Texas are now one and the same." -Stewart Mandel

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Dio View Post
    If, as Yarmuth contends, a lease is with the ownership group and not the team itself, why is Seattle trying to enforce a lease against Bennett that was signed 2 or 3 owners back?
    According to some lawyer quoted in one of the articles I posted, it is usually very difficult for some renter to force a contract on a tenant. I mean, think of all the apartment leases we've all bought early out of.

In this case, it is to Seattle's cultural benefit to keep a unique tenant. They are unique because there's only 30 of them in the country. Thus, the Sonics offer something that another tenant couldn't offer, whereas most apartment tenants could be replaced by another tenant with money and good credit.

As was the case with another article I quoted (no, I'm not trying to hint that you should read them, I'm just citing them to show that not all the stuff I spout here is my own random thoughts and knowledge), a city councilor for Seattle went on a rant about how little the Sonics had to offer Seattle culturally and beneficially. The odds are against Seattle in betting (again, from another article linked earlier) and literally in winning this lawsuit and the only chance they have in forcing a tenant to stay in a lease that hinders their business (another article said the Sonics organization is losing $30 mil per season, a good reason Mr. Starbucks sold them in the first place) is to prove that Seattle, the landlord, would be losing far more by losing its tenant.

So, this is what I've gotten out of all sources so far...

Sonics stay in Seattle if...

1- Schultz (or is his name "Shultz?" I've seen both) is allowed to reclaim his team that he sold two years ago. He must prove that Bennett et al breached the original contract which states that they make a good faith effort to keep the Sonics in Seattle.

2- The Sonics are forced in the courts (not the basketball court, silly) to honor their full lease agreement. Seattle, as the Sonics landlord, must prove that the Sonics are a unique tenant that cannot be easily replaced by another and benefits Seattle in a cultural way.

Sonics move to Oklahoma City if...

1- Bennett proves that the Sonics organization is too far gone from Schultz's ownership. He will focus on the fact that they have sold off the WNBA team the Seattle Storm, gotten a new coach and acquired many new players and contracts as well as let go some major contracts since Schultz's ownership, thus making the current Sonics business far different from the one he purchased two years ago. This will likely be a better argument point that proving they tried to keep the Sonics in Seattle in "good faith efforts," but Bennett should be prepared to defend that as well.

2- The Sonics are allowed to buy out the lease with KeyArena, or wait until the lease can be bought out or expires. The last offer, I think, was $26 million. The Sonics organization must prove that a price tag can be put on the remain lease time (which City of Seattle has said cannot be done) and also show how damaging the current lease is to the business by pointing out annual loss of revenue ($30 million, which Seattle has argued can be attributed to less marketing and public appearances by players).
    ---
    I hope that clears it up a little. It is still confusing to me. I would rather be analyzing potential draft picks, to tell you the truth. This arbitration crap is the reason I hate professional sports sometimes. Are we going to be debating the NFL players vs. owners in a few years?

If it matters, both matters of litigation are apparently being handled by the same judge, so one case will not interfere with the other. I would say that Seattle and Schultz (Shultz?!) have more work to do and more to prove than Bennett et al. The betting odds are in favor of Oklahoma.