Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Re: "SONICWATCH," official thread

Dude, there are SO many Starbucks alternatives out there. I didn't say to give up coffee!

Can't we just agree that all of Oklahoma is awesome, regardless of what city you live in and move on?

Seattle P-I: Kemp helping Sonics with predraft

Now would be a good time to ONCE AGAIN ATTEMPT TO STEER THE CONVERSATION AWAY FROM OKLAHOMA CIVIL WAR and refresh your memories on past Seattle stars. Like, for example, who is this "Kemp" guy... nah, that's boring. Who is the REAL "Kemp" that should be helping with predraft stuff?

You can't post Shawn Kemp (#40) without posting about Gary Payton (#20). Kemp was a draft-aquired all-star power forward for the Sonics. He helped lead the Sonics to their most recent finals appearance and took on the notorious Dennis Rodman defensively (and lost) in... um, what year was that? I think it was three years before the lockout, so about 1996. Yes, counting back Bulls titles, Chicago beat the Sonics before beating Utah twice in '97 and '98, then the Spurs started winning in '99 after the lockout. Anyway, Kemp was a legend in Seattle, but that legend would die with an overweight appearance at training camp following the lockout. He was traded for another all-star (Vin Baker) in a three-team trade involving my beloved Milwaukee Bucks (hey, someone's gotta cheer for them).

Gary Payton was known as "The Glove" to those dedicated to his jackassery. He was a perennial defender whose best defensive traits include (1) being taller than most other guards at his position, and (2) talking trash until the other guy punches him and gets ejected. Oh, no, I'm not bitter that he left the Bucks hanging by only playing for us for a few months, causing us to lose Ray Allen. People say that he defended Jordan so well that they nearly came back from a 3-0 deficit in the Finals. I say everyone knows that the Bulls wanted to win at home and did everything possible to let the Sonics scrape by a few wins. Payton only wins a title by riding the Heat bench for Shaq and D-Wade

Vin Baker, at one time (yes, his Milwaukee time) was the all-around good guy you wanted your kids to look up to. He was the son of a preacher and even sang the national anthem before games at least once (pretty sure multiple times). He was also an all-star that made your team better. Unfortunately, he got depressed (I would like to blame the move from Milwaukee to Seattle as the ultimate depresser) and became an alcoholic. He was never the same after his Bucks glory days.

Part of ensuring that the Sonics would get this many quality draft picks these past two drafts is Ray Allen. He was once traded to the Sonics from the Bucks for (argh!!!!!!!) a few months service of a dying Payton contract about to end (ARGH!!!!!!), so the Sonics definitely benefitted from this deal in both the short run and the long run. Allen was the face of their team for years after longtime stars Kemp, Payton and Baker bid farewell to Seattle... even if the team wasn't that successful with Allen.

Aren't whorns silly looking? Kevin Durant is the current star of the franchise. The Rookie of the Year and all that jazz. I am not sure how he feels about coming to Oklahoma (rather, the possibility of it - remember, lawsuits people!), but odds are, he didn't have enough of a chance to hate Oklahoma, nor did we have enough of a chance to develop a hatred of his whorn-ness. In fact, we can love him more for ignoring the student cries of "One more year!" which was later changed as per Barnes request to "Three more years!" Haha, silly whorns.

Now HERE's a guy you can hate to love, or love to hate, or just hate altogether, regardless of what side you're on. This is former Sonics owner and Starbucks CEO Schultz pictured at a Sonics game. Coffee apparently gives you a big butt and a bad sense of style. You can hate to love him, because he sold the Sonics to an OKC businessman but is now trying to save face and get them back. You can love to hate him, because he opened the door for the Sonics moving by selling them to said OKC businessman, but still hate him for trying to ruin the plans by screaming "breach of contract." Or, you can just hate him for secretly funding the "Save our Sonics" fan drives. That last one is just an unaccredited rumor... that I just made up... three seconds ago.

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

I shall spek you forever for Vin Baker pics..

Shawn Kemp was my favorite post player back in the day..pre 300 lb Shawn Kemp
    Bazinga

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Big Red Ron's Avatar
    vCash

Wasn't Kemp the first HS to NBA guy?
    Know thy self,
    know thy enemy.
    A thousand battles,
    a thousand victories. - Sun Tzu (500 B.C.)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    Dude, there are SO many Starbucks alternatives out there. I didn't say to give up coffee!

Can't we just agree that all of Oklahoma is awesome, regardless of what city you live in and move on?

Seattle P-I: Shawn Kemp helping Sonics with predraft
    That story is about a guy named Kemp out of Nevada.
    Know thy self,
    know thy enemy.
    A thousand battles,

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

He was enrolled in college but did not play

Interesting note:

After graduation, Kemp signed a national letter-of-intent to play basketball at the University of Kentucky. However, he was kicked off the team before the season started for allegedly pawning a necklace belonging to teammate Sean Sutton. He transferred mid-season to Trinity Valley Community College in Texas, but was too late to suit up for the squad. Later, it was determined that Sutton had lost the necklace to Kemp in a card game.

also he fathered thirteen out-of-wedlock children with nine different women
    Bazinga

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Ron View Post
    Wasn't Kemp the first HS to NBA guy?
    I believe the first on record was Moses Malone. The more recent pioneer was Kevin Garnett, who couldn't get the scores to get into Michigan. After that came many, many guys who had no business entering early that ended up in D-leagues across the world, LOLZ.

You're right... that was a headline created to get attention and it got mine. Sorry. Argh. Never trust the media

EDIT: I take it back, I just looked it up and Malone was the fifth... he was the first of note, probably. Oh, and it was the ABA that he jumped to, not the NBA. Your answer is here:
    http://www.infoplease.com/ipsa/A0765788.html

Like I said, Malone was the first of note. Kemp enrolled at Kentucky and Trinity Valley CC, so you can count him if you want, or not... but he still wasn't the first.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Crimsontothecore's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Ron View Post
    Who published it there cool guy? Got a link for your claim?
    Here's one. Please take note of the opinion stated by your beloved Forbes.
    http://www.mostlivable.org/general/t...w-economy.html

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsontothecore View Post
    Here's one. Please take note of the opinion stated by your beloved Forbes.
    http://www.mostlivable.org/general/t...w-economy.html
    Neato, Tulsa is only the second biggest and best city in Oklahoma. Props.
    Know thy self,
    know thy enemy.
    A thousand battles,

vCash

I believe the first on record was Moses Malone. The more recent pioneer was Kevin Garnett, who couldn't get the scores to get into Michigan. After that came many, many guys who had no business entering early that ended up in D-leagues across the world, LOLZ.

You're right... that was a headline created to get attention and it got mine. Sorry. Argh. Never trust the media

EDIT: I take it back, I just looked it up and Malone was the fifth... he was the first of note, probably. Oh, and it was the ABA that he jumped to, not the NBA. Your answer is here:
    http://www.infoplease.com/ipsa/A0765788.html

Like I said, Malone was the first of note. Kemp enrolled at Kentucky and Trinity Valley CC, so you can count him if you want, or not... but he still wasn't the first.
    Ah, I guess he was the first HS to NBA "Superstar," I remember.
    Know thy self,
    know thy enemy.
    A thousand battles,

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerKnight's Avatar
    vCash

OKC is bigger than Tulsa and is growing rapidly. I see OKC as a top ten city within only a couple of years oh and Tulsa WILL NOT have an NBA team.

vCash

Oh, what wonderful Tulsa-bashing discussions we're having

I am once again trying to steer talks back to Sonics in this edition of SONICWATCH. I am sure the boys of South Oval would love a TULSAWATCH or OKCWATCH, however. If you're gonna trash Tulsa, please make sure to include something to do with the SONICS.

As we've discussed in the past, Tulsa is inferior to Oklahoma City... NO, WE DID NOT DISCUSS THAT. What we really discussed was how the Sonics have six draft picks, more than any other team in a draft where more teams have two picks. Once again, the draft deadline for underclassmen to opt out without an agent is June 16. The draft itself is June 26. Thus, two more weeks of underclassmen hype before reality sets in that there are SIXTY and NO MORE picks in the draft and only THIRTY, 3-0 picks with guaranteed contracts. The rest, you're out! Go D-League, go E-League (Europe?), but your best bet is the college ball!

Now, what will the Sonics do with said SIX picks? They have 10 percent of the entire draft right there! Well... they'll look to move...
    ESPN: Draft movers?

Remember, it was the draft dealin' that got them where they are now, so in the same effect, who else can they deal with to get complements for Durant?

Bleacher Report: Projected picks Bayless and Batum

Once again, I implore the Sonics to choose wisely, because the cup of Christ will bring eternal life, but the wrong cup will take it from you... actually, if they choose poorly, they'll be at the top next year to choose Blake Griffin It would be another feel-good NBA Draft story to go with Chicago's fawning over that Memphis froshie

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerKnight's Avatar
    vCash

All I got out of that was a and then a and then a and then a .

Seriously I hope the future OKC_____ (Sonics) pick well as this will be the pride of the fans in Oklahoma having an NBA team in OKC. It would suck to end up having a suck team like Denver! Of course it will be better than the team Tulsa will have.

vCash

Badger's right. This thread has digressed because I made a comment questioning how much long term support OKC would give an NBA team.
    And now Big Red Ron has neg-speked me into reputation oblivion in response to me producing facts that negated his opinion of Tulsa. My wife saw those little orange dots and now she's thinking about taking the kids and leaving.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerKnight View Post
    Of course it will be better than the team Tulsa will have.
    Actually, I'm not so sure the 66'ers wouldn't hold their own against the Sonics.

vCash

Good morning and here is your latest SONICWATCH.

Predictions for the upcoming trial

This Milwaukee J-S writing thinks an OKC move would be disasterous.

And thus, there's going to be one ugly lawsuit this month AND an even weirder draft once the dust settles. Do we still want the Sonics? Thoughts...

vCash

Good morning and here is your latest SONICWATCH.

Predictions for the upcoming trial

This Milwaukee J-S writing thinks an OKC move would be disasterous.

And thus, there's going to be one ugly lawsuit this month AND an even weirder draft once the dust settles. Do we still want the Sonics? Thoughts...
    What did Hunt mean by this statement?
    "Stern stood by and did absolutely nothing for a fabulous NBA city like Seattle on what will surely be a disastrous move to Oklahoma City."

vCash

"Stern stood by and did absolutely nothing for a fabulous NBA city like Seattle on what will surely be a disastrous move to Oklahoma City."
    I don't think people outside Oklahoma expect us to succeed. This is why it is ESPECIALLY important to not start the Tulsa vs. OKC squabbling. Petty issues, like what the team will be named, how many home games you'll share with the city of Tulsa, or who pays what tax dollars and has a larger stake is not important. What is important is getting everyone, OKC, Tulsa, Tahlequah, Muskogee, Pryor, Lawton, Norman and even those sheep in Stilly behind the NBA team coming this year or the next.

The Seattle Supersonics, in case you are just tuning in, is the oldest major league professional team in Seattle and has years of experience in that area. That's why some writers think that it is a fabulous NBA city, like the one I linked. Images like this:

and videos like this...

Would make some forget that the Sonics had the 26th (out of 30) ranked attendance in the league in 2006-2007. The same page I just linked that the NOKC Hornets in the same season was the 14th ranked, averaging more than 2,000 more fans per game. Stretch that over 80 games (or if you want to play devil's advocate, over the 40 games that were played in either New Orleans or Oklahoma City) and you have a serious difference. I could not find any article citing this, but I've heard that Seattle was 28th of 30 this past season that finally comes to an end next week.

Now, bullshizzle studies like this will point out how much more viable cities like Seattle are, being 41-year hosts to the team and all. Alas, the host's home has the smallest capacity in the league, as that article linked in this graf states.

Now, Seattle has some fun arguments for keeping the team. For example, did you know that Seattle is bigger and has higher incomes than little ol' OKC? They also point out how they are the 14th largest market and OKC is the 45th.

(let's just rinse and repeat these arguments a few dozen more times, shall we, Seattle?)

Now, not knocking the big scary market, sky high income levels and 41-year history. We here in Oklahoma love tradition and our teams, whether they be OU football or (cringe inducing smile) OSU wrestling. However, aside from the 41-year history, we look to LA, the city of angels, Los Angeles itself, to see what the largest city in the country that has far more richy rich people than Seattle and OKC combined...

NFL: Los Angeles sucks. Avoid it like the plague. Move to Oakland, or better yet, St. Louis. Missouri, here we come!

There you have it. Population and income alone do not determine the most viable market for a major league team.

Now, we give you one more benefit of the doubt - nobody likes a loser, right?

[OSUfansinunison]THIS YEAR'S OUR YEAR! THIS YEAR'S OUR YEAR![/OSUfansinunison]

As it turns out, we are in the same league as BoSox and Cubbie fans for lovable losers. When we got the Hornets, they were tied for the second-worst in the league - 18-64 record. Yet, we turned out to the tune of 18,000+ fans per game.

So, losers or not, rich or poor, insanely populated or not, Seattle, your only claim to the Sonics at this point is a 41-year history. Seeing how you can approve a new stadium for your Seahawks and Mariners, but not your oldest franchise, you deserve to be ranked the ninth worst fans in the country. Why not higher?

In conclusion, STAND UNITED, Oklahoma. This is our revenge to the West Coast for the Dust Bowl, because everyone in Seattle probably moved from California anyways, or at least that's what my relatives out there are saying. WE as a STATE are going to get this team so long as Seattle doesn't stop US.

vCash

Badger, You are right on about the support thing. My original point (before Big Red Ron turned it into OKC vs Tulsa) was that, given the circumstances, I think it would be smart on the part of OKC to not alienate the rest of the state by making all the "It's OUR team" statements. It sounds arrogant. Regardless of whether people want to admit it, The support given to the Hornets is not proof positive that OKC will support an NBA team long-term. The key words are LONG-TERM.
    It was easy to support the Hornets because it was a temporary situation and they were the first NBA team to ever call Oklahoma home, if even for a moment.
    There was a novelty about the situation and people wanted to be a part of it while it lasted. People also forget that the ticket prices for those Hornets games were the cheapest in all of the NBA.
    When the new wears off and having a team is old hat, Will OKC still fill that arena? Maybe, but most likely not. Seattle is four times larger than OKC as is New Orleans. So what makes OKC think they will be immune to failing support?
    Slam Tulsa all you want but the fact is it's the second largest city in the state and being only a hundred miles up the turnpike could make a big difference in how many empty seats the ford center has in the years to come.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GrapevineSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoops the eternal pimp View Post
    And we have this

The eternal day spa for permanent rest and relaxation.
    Just imagine there's a really obnoxious graphical sig here

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GrapevineSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Could be referencing those emails from Bennett that contradicted his earlier statements that his ownership group acted in good faith to keep the team in Seattle. Which Stern didn't really do anything about.

If I was a Sonics fan, I'd probably see Clay Bennett and that ownership group as nothing more than a bunch of snake oil salesmen. Even if the team is hemorrhaging money with that Key Arena Lease.
    Just imagine there's a really obnoxious graphical sig here