Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

"SONICWATCH," official thread

Ok, since this issue hasn't been updated in awhile, I thought a thread with any and all news on the hopefully-soon-probably-not NBA team in Oklahoma City. Because they're known as the "Sonics" for now, I'll dub it "SONICWATCH" and update it whenever there's applicable news. This is getting to be "it" for the fight between OKC and Seattle --- the trial starts June 16 and the outcome of said trial will determine whether we wait for another year or two for the NBA in Oklahoma.

For now, here's what we know...

...on the lawsuit:
    NewsOK: Sonic owners (pro-OKC) don't want Seattle's alt media personalities involved.

NewsOK: City of Seattle doesn't want survey (which finds that Seattle is largely apathetic toward the NBA move) results involved.

Seattle Times: Revealing e-mails

Seattle P-I: City of Seattle wants to limit suit evidence scope

Seattle Times: Oklahoma City stakes claim in Sonics

In a nutshell, both the city of Seattle and the Sonics owners are preparing for the June 16 lawsuit by deciding who should and shouldn't testify and what evidence to present. Both sides have damaging evidence and witnesses to each other's cases which they are trying to limit or keep from testifying. On the side, the city of OKC is also getting involved by saying they have a claim to the team, regardless of who the owner is.

... on ownership:
    Houston Chronicle: (Former Sonics owner) Schultz claims breach of contract

AP: Potential Sonics buyers

NewsOK: Owners say Sonics not for sale

In a nutshell, the former Sonics owner (Starbucks owner) is trying to save face by getting the Soncis to stay in Seattle. The current ownership, headed by OKC businessman Clay Bennett, is also dealing with offers from Seattle locals who want to purchase the Sonics. However, Bennett et al is saying "no."

... on the move and the name.

HoopsWorld: Bennett to players not wanting to move to OKC: "Boo Hoo."

ESPN: Sonics name must include Oklahoma City

Please add any updates as they come up. Here's hoping this gets resolved soon. On a personal note, I really didn't want Seattle to lose their team. I just wanted OKC (or anywhere in Oklahoma) to get their own team.

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Official "SONICWATCH" thread

Thanks Badger....BTW, as a way of supporting my OKC friends, I am boycotting Starbucks til this is all over with and the team is in OKC...I m sure they ll miss my 4 bucks a day.
    Bazinga

vCash

Re: Official "SONICWATCH" thread

Quote Originally Posted by stoops the eternal pimp View Post
    Thanks Badger....BTW, as a way of supporting my OKC friends, I am boycotting Starbucks til this is all over with and the team is in OKC...I m sure they ll miss my 4 bucks a day.
    I would now like to add to my previous thread with...

...on Starbucks:

Newson9: Metro man plans boycott

Seattle Times: Boycott away, Seattle fans. It won't matter.

In a nutshell, both Seattle and OKC hate Starbucks right now (but Seattle might love Starbucks if Schultz can keep the Sonics in Seattle now). Another clear sign that the lawsuit by Schultz for breach of contract might have been a face saving move more than anything else.

PS: Can someone start a Sooner recruiting update thread? I would, but I don't want to seem like the basketball thread whorn. We have had a lot of little threads on this and that recruit and we got another commit this week, but not really any huge discussion on it. I promise to contribute once it get started kplzthx

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

Re: "SONICWATCH," official thread

Psst... there's a recruiting board.
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Crimsontothecore's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    On a personal note, I really didn't want Seattle to lose their team. I just wanted OKC (or anywhere in Oklahoma) to get their own team.
    Well, OKC has already announced the new team will be THEIRS and not an "Oklahoma" team. They think they will support the team just fine but I'm willing to bet they end up needing Tulsa fans driving down there to help fill the empty seats.
    They think support was proven because the Hornets visited for 2 years. Fact is, once OKC has "their" team secured, they will find out things change. we will see how much support they give once the novelty wears off and it's old news.
    I've never figured out how OKC's metro population of 1.2 million is supposed to offer more support than Seattle's metro population of 3.9 million.
    Fact is, OKC was "dating" the Hornets and putting their best foot forward. They will be "married" to the Sonics. We all know the difference.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OU Adonis's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsontothecore View Post
    I've never figured out how OKC's metro population of 1.2 million is supposed to offer more support than Seattle's metro population of 3.9 million.
    Fact is, OKC was "dating" the Hornets and putting their best foot forward. They will be "married" to the Sonics. We all know the difference.
    Because there are 3 major sports franchises in Seattle, none in OKC. Their interest is split.

Why the negativity Crimson? Worried that OU football support will drop off? I wouldn't worry about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley1
    Middle age is when high school chicks stop checking you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Melo
    Ones that big disgust me.
    http://www.myspace.com/ou_adonis

vCash

Well, if its any consolidation, guys, Bayless hates Starbucks and wants to play for the Sonics regardless of where they're located:
    Hoopsworld: Bayless sold on Sonics

And so begins this edition of SONICWATCH, when we look at the draft. Remember, the Sonics have the No. 4 pick...

Seattle P-I: Picks muse on Seattle (Eric Gordon prefers OKC, lolz)

Seattle P-I: Who to draft? (Notes on B. Lopez, Augustin, other froshies)

NewsOk: Lots of options (notes on how the Sonics will use No. 4 and No. 24 picks)

On a personal note, I think the Sonics will thrive in OKC for years. The taxpayers have vested not only a few years in the Hornets, but millions in tax dollars on the Ford Center, so there would be no reason to think they'll get bored after a few years. The tax measure didn't just pass, it PASSED.

Whether or not Sonic players will want to come to OKC instead of Seattle? Well, Bennett's already said it: "Boo hoo." Oh please send me to OKC for a few million per year to play a game.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

It's better than Toronto.
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by NormanPride View Post
    It's better than Toronto.
    True, and it's also better than not getting drafted at all and being in some weird town with a D-League team (like in South Dakota) or worse yet, a foreign country that shouts racial slurs at minorities.

In this edition of SONICWATCH, we test the odds...
    USA Today: Many collegians who declare

There are 60 spots in the draft on June 26. Players who are underclassmen (I think there was 69 who declared, not sure how many hired an agent) have until 4 p.m. Oklahoma time June 16 to drop out of the draft if they haven't hired an agent. Once again, the Sonics will have picks No. 4, No. 24, No. 32, No. 46 and No. 50 and No. 56. Yes, a lot of picks, but most other teams have two, so if you don't like the first name you hear, that's ok, because we'll have five other chances to hit a star

With that in mind, it could be possible for us to draft both Lopez brothers out of Stanford:
    San Jose Mercury News: Lopez prepares for NBA

Not that we should hope for that, because watching them in the tourney was troubling -- very dirty players.

The Sonics have invested a lot in this draft by what they did last year. Here's a reminder of that:
    RealGM: Sonics draft overview

Perhaps the wrong timing on their part as a lot of teams are looking to get rid of picks or move down this year:
    HoopsWorld: Draft a seller's market?

Personally, I think this clout of players available in the draft just shows why the NBA is limiting when people can enter. Basically, the admissions standards have been risen at the prestigious college of hoops. In the future, instead of simply raising the age requirement, they may make the draft invite-only. In other words, players know they're out before wasting a night in front of a television screen crying after No. 60 is announced... and it wasn't them once again.

This would not be unprecedented, as other leagues (I can't think of any major major leagues that have done it) have narrowed draft pools in this way, such as the XFL. Allow an agent-free tryout session for players, let them get evaluated fairly among the NBA teams and let the teams declare which can be eligible for the draft. This isn't about protecting young players from the harsh realities of million dollar contracts or other B.S. that floats around that oftens results in the race card getting played. This is about a limited demand for an overabundance of supply.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OU Adonis View Post
    Because there are 3 major sports franchises in Seattle, none in OKC. Their interest is split.

Why the negativity Crimson? Worried that OU football support will drop off? I wouldn't worry about that.
    No, I'm not worried about support for OU football. OKC could have three NFL teams and OU would still sell out. Two different animals.
    My negativity comes from the comments I heard when it was suggested the NBA team bear an "Oklahoma _____" name as opposed to an "Oklahoma City ____" name. Comments like "Its OUR team, not Tulsa's" and crap like that gets on my nerves. I still contend that the support OKC gave the Hornets proves nothing as to how much LONG TERM support they will give their own team. The Hornets stay was temporary and everyone knew it. It was "cool" to go to an NBA game because it was new. That honeymoon won't exist forever.
    The argument that the Sonics lost support because Seattle has three franchises doesn't hold water. If your an NBA fan, you're going to support your team regardless of whether the NFL and MLB has teams in your city. Besides, like I said, Seattle has 3 times as many people so that pretty much makes the "3 franchises" argument a wash at best.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Dio's Avatar
    vCash

OKC's been paying a sales tax for 15 years to get to this point. The team will play in OKC, and the owners live in OKC. Why shouldn't it be the Oklahoma City __________s? Do people in Ft Worth like the Rangers better than the Cowboys because they're the Texas Rangers and the Dallas Cowboys? People who get up in arms over this are looking for an excuse to get up in arms, IMHO.
    "ESPN and Texas are now one and the same." -Stewart Mandel

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Dio View Post
    OKC's been paying a sales tax for 15 years to get to this point. The team will play in OKC, and the owners live in OKC. Why shouldn't it be the Oklahoma City __________s? Do people in Ft Worth like the Rangers better than the Cowboys because they're the Texas Rangers and the Dallas Cowboys? People who get up in arms over this are looking for an excuse to get up in arms, IMHO.
    Yeah... and fitting "Oklahoma City" isn't too hard... just look at Anaheim and Los Angeles.

And for the record, Tulsa lost our NBA D-league team to Bixby. As long as you guys move a few games up to Oklahoma City each year, I think it'll keep the peace and expand the fan base well. A game or two in Norman (oh what the heck, Stilly can have a game every five years, too) would help too.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Dio View Post
    I'm not saying it shouldn't be. It just came across sounding childish like "It's my ball and you can't play". I also thought it was embarrassing the way OKC acted when the Hornets announced they would return to New Orleans. They begged to get the hornets there on a temporary basis after the hurricane and then acted like they shouldn't leave. Kinda like a friend offering you a place to stay after a tornado wipes out your house, and then when you try to move out he wants to keep your wife.
    I'll bet OKC will gladly accept the money from all the Tulsa people who drive down and help fill the seats for "their" team.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Big Red Ron's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsontothecore View Post
    I'll bet OKC will gladly accept the money from all the Tulsa people who drive down and help fill the seats for "their" team.
    Let's be clear about something. It was George Shin, owner of the Hornets that, "Begged" to stay in OKC.

Sure we will. Ya know, Seattle and Portland are almost the same distance apart as OKC and Tulsa.

Maybe Tulsa should get their crap together and get their own team.

OKC's leaders, taxpayers and fans are the reason this team is coming here. We're branding our city, it would make no sense to call it Oklahoma whatever, considering all that.

Enjoy our team and we'll welcome you here in OKLAHOMA CITY!
    Know thy self,
    know thy enemy.
    A thousand battles,
    a thousand victories. - Sun Tzu (500 B.C.)

vCash

There really is no news that is new on SONICWATCH front. Therefore, I wish to take this opportunity to just talk Sonics, which is what you all appear to be doing anyway.

Everyone, this is "The Wheedle," the original mascot of the Seattle Supersonics from 1978 to 1985. Yes, weird, but like all weird mascots, there is a story behind it: a Seattle children's author wrote a book called "The Wheedle on the Needle" (yes, that needle), so The Wheedle was famous in Seattle for that. As weird as Wheedle is, he helped Seattle to their only title, which was in 1979.

What a Wookie! Actually, this is the Sonics current mascot (since 1993) and it is simply "Squatch." No, not "Squash," but Squatch... and apparently, there weren't enough hairy dunking mascots in the NBA so they added Squatch.

Oh, hello Storm! Actually, goodbye. While the Sonics and the Storm were joint brother-sister organizations, this partnership ended on February 28, when the Storm was sold off to Seattle-area buyers... sorry, the Sonics are not for sale, Seattle-area buyers. So, no need to worry about the WNBA, which Futurama reminds you, cannot dunk but they have better fundamentals.

My, don't you look... weird. And old. And... not like a key. Alas, though the name does not imply it, this is Key Arena, formerly Seattle Center Colliseum. It is not named "Key" because it sounds cool or anything, but rather, after Key Bank, the title sponsor, much like "Ford Center" and "BOK Center" in Oklahoma. The arena opened in 1962 and had a renovation in 1994, but as you can see, it is showing its age and has been panned by the NBA as one of the worst in the league, not just for its age, but for the lease tied to it.

So you all must be wondering "What's in a name?" when Seattle chants about "Save our Sonics!" and such. Well, Bennett has already agreed to let Seattle have the "Sonics" name, but they've actually been rejected long before concerning this. The name "Supersonics" was named after a Boeing contract about to come to Seattle for the Boeing 2707 (just remember that as the first American supersonic transport, or SST). But... it never happened. The deal was canceled in 1971 over environmental concerns (sonic boom, anyone?) and they moved out of Seattle before it really materialized. Thus, the city of Seattle has really no claims to the name, other than the love and adoration of the first major league team to come to Seattle. For the record, the Mariners started in 1977 and the Seahawks started in 1976.

So, I hope you feel more educated. We are getting Seattle's oldest (which isn't really that old) major franchise, but not a name they have no stake in at all, nor the sister WNBA team. Perhaps they will leave Squatch behind with Weedle (currently in a faux-frozen state, lol), but one thing's for sure - Ford Center > KeyArena and you can thank the great taxpayers of OKC for the prospect of a smaller market getting the prize.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Ron View Post
    Let's be clear about something. It was George Shin, owner of the Hornets that, "Begged" to stay in OKC.

Sure we will. Ya know, Seattle and Portland are almost the same distance apart as OKC and Tulsa.

Maybe Tulsa should get their crap together and get their own team.

OKC's leaders, taxpayers and fans are the reason this team is coming here. We're branding our city, it would make no sense to call it Oklahoma whatever, considering all that.

Enjoy our team and we'll welcome you here in OKLAHOMA CITY!
    I remember OKC competing with several other cities when the Hornets needed a TEMPORARY home. Shin begged to stay? I remember him saying he hoped OKC would understand that he believed the right thing to do was return to NO.
    Regardless, I still say 5 years from now OKC will not be filling any more seats that Seattle did. Let's wait and see.
    Tulsa should get their crap together? Apparently you haven't seen the BOK center. It makes the Ford center look like a high school gym.

vCash

Hmmmm..which city doesn't have its crap together?

vCash

The Ford center is old and was purchased on the cheap. In case you forgot, we just passed an initiative to upgrade it...

I like how you used an artists rendering for your arena. Here's our's. Will your's be done before our $122 million upgrades?

http://newsok.com/article/3212197/1204732053

Last edited by Big Red Ron; 5/31/2008 at 12:37 PM.
    Know thy self,
    know thy enemy.
    A thousand battles,

vCash

You obviously know nothing of the situation here, when the Hornets actively lobbied to stay in OKC. Shinn never wanted to go back. He knew it was the right thing because Stern told him he was going back. Why? Stern knew the ownership group owned a team in Seattle and it was likely coming here.

Tulsa building an arena is a joke. Tulsa is a dying city, OKC is growing faster than most. "OKC is the most recession proof city in America," per Forbes.

You are simply jealous, I don't blame you. Tulsa has thought of themselves as superior to OKC for a long time. It simply isn't true and that has been proved time and time again. Population (OKC), average income (OKC), crime rate (Tulsa), murder rate (Tulsa), etc...
    Know thy self,
    know thy enemy.
    A thousand battles,

vCash

BTW, this is what the ford center looks like now.

Last edited by Big Red Ron; 5/31/2008 at 01:20 PM.
    Know thy self,
    know thy enemy.
    A thousand battles,