• No

28 87.50%
  • I'm Zoroastrian

2 6.25%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headstones

vCash

Headstones

Do you have yours yet? The reason I ask is, that I will be taking my Grandparents to the cemetaries that my family members on my Dad's side are buried in, and they always insist on taking me to see theirs, despite the fact that neither are deceased. Both sets of Granparents purchased headstones in the late 70's/early 80's and haven't really got any mileage out of them yet.
    I was just curious if this was common?
    For the good old American lifestyle: For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member proud gonzo's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Headstones

i don't have a headstone yet, but i have a funeral plot.

I really want a crypt instead of a headstone, though.
    "I'm a mother****ing party all by myself."

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

Spread me ashes on Owen Field please.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

Send me out on a boat and light it with a flaming arrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by royalfan5 View Post
    Do you have yours yet? The reason I ask is, that I will be taking my Grandparents to the cemetaries that my family members on my Dad's side are buried in, and they always insist on taking me to see theirs, despite the fact that neither are deceased. Both sets of Granparents purchased headstones in the late 70's/early 80's and haven't really got any mileage out of them yet.
    seems to be more prevalent with the older generations. When my grandfather died, my grandmother....well my great grandfather purchased 5 plots right near each other. So, when my grandmother took my brother and I to the graveyard with her one time she showed us her plot which was next to where my grandfather was buried, and based on where the words on the headstones were, below my great grandfather and his two deceased wives whom were buried on each side of him.

Or maybe it's just that graveyards offer a 2 for 1 deal every so often
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by NormanPride View Post
    We'll get drunk on Arrogant Bastard, toss you in a inflatable raft and set it on fire out on dirtybird. That work?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 r5TPsooner's Avatar
    vCash

No, but I have an OU casket picked out.
    "The true genius shudders at incompleteness and usually prefers silence to saying something which is not everything it should Be."
    -Edgar Allan Poe

SoonerFans.com Elite Member proud gonzo's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by NormanPride View Post
    if I lived on a lake I'd DEFINITELY vote for viking funeral.
    "I'm a mother****ing party all by myself."

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner_Havok's Avatar
    vCash

I am voting for a huge Roman style funeral pier.
    If I am right, then religious fundamentalists will not go to Heaven, because there is no Heaven. If THEY are right, then they will not go to Heaven, because they are hypocrites.

-Isaac Asimov

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by royalfan5 View Post
    Kind of macabre don't you think?
    If I am right, then religious fundamentalists will not go to Heaven, because there is no Heaven. If THEY are right, then they will not go to Heaven, because they are hypocrites.

-Isaac Asimov

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner_Havok View Post
    Kind of macabre don't you think?
    Yes, but that is pretty much par for the course with my family.
    For the good old American lifestyle: For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money.

vCash

I'm being donated then toasted. No need for a stone unless someone is just all fired up about planting one somewhere.

I imagine I'll be an organic part of the municipal landfill one day.

vCash

Upon further review, I should have added a stuffed like Lenin and a frozen in carbonite option.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Viking Kitten's Avatar
    vCash

When my Grandma died a couple years back, I got stuck with the task of calling all her old friends to let them know. One of them, a lady in her 70s, shared with me that she hated going to the particular cemetery where we buried my Grandma because she had a headstone there. When her first husband died about 25 years prior to us talking, she had purchased one with her name on it too. Then sure enough, she got remarried, had been blissfully happy and realized she actually wanted to be buried with husband number two. The old monument was just a painful, creepy reminder of her own mortality.

My stepdad is in the same boat; he no longer wants to be buried with his first wife, and he wants to be buried with my mom to whom he has been married for 16 years. He has no idea how to tell my stepbrother this. That's going to put my mom in a wierd, uncomfortable situation if she has to make that call, since the plot and stone are already there.

What I have learned from these stories is the time to buy a headstone is when you're dead, because you just never know what life is going to hand you. In any case, I believe memorials and monuments are for the living, not the dead. That's why I'd rather my children and other loved ones pick it out, since it will be their memorial to me. If I am important enough for them to remember, I want them to memorialize me in the way they think is appropriate. I'll be dead, so I just can't imagine I'll care all that much what it looks like.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Beef's Avatar
    vCash

I want to be recycled into crayons.
    Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean
    Him being a ****ing tard does. You don't smack down your mongoloid cousin when he spits taters across the table.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Viking Kitten's Avatar
    vCash

I should also mention that I've told my family numerous times that if my innards are still working, they damn well better donate them to somebody who can use them or Ima come back and haunt somebody. I imagine my beating heart saving someone's life would be the most amazing memorial there is.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Viking Kitten View Post
    I should also mention that I've told my family numerous times that if my innards are still working, they damn well better donate them to somebody who can use them or Ima come back and haunt somebody. I imagine my beating heart saving someone's life would be the most amazing memorial there is.
    Yeah, I like the idea of donation, but it kind of creeps me out a bit. If my ticker is still ticking, am I really 100% dead?

-Isaac Asimov

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

"Here lies Viking Kitten"
    "Horses over Oklahoma rejoice"

ok that was turrible
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SouthFortySooner's Avatar
    vCash

...be fertilizer. Come back as something good to eat.
    " Ok children put your hands on your heart... and face Norman."

Administrator
    vCash

My kids can take a few bucks outta their inheritance and buy me a mausoleum, a crypt, a stone, a plaque, a postage stamp sized marker, or nothing at all. I'd be dead, so WTF would I care?