Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Drunky Town Limnologist Fraggle145's Avatar
    vCash

Polar bear added to endangered species list

Not sure how much it will help them... hopefully the listing will have results.

Polar bear added to endangered species list

The animal, whose habitat has been shrinking with the melting of arctic sea ice, is the first to be designated as threatened with extinction mainly because of global warming.
    By Kenneth R. Weiss, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    12:15 PM PDT, May 14, 2008

The Bush administration today designated the polar bear as threatened with extinction, making the big arctic bear, whose fate clings to shrinking sea ice, the first creature added to the endangered species list primarily because of global warming.

The designation invokes federal protections under the Endangered Species Act, the nation's most powerful environmental law that requires designation of critical habitat to be protected as well as forming a strategy to assist the bear population's recovery.

The decision came only after a U.S. District Court in Oakland forced the Bush administration's hand by imposing a May 15 deadline for the decision that was supposed to have been completed by Jan. 9.

It was the first time in more than two years that the Interior Department extended protections to another species under the Endangered Species Act -- the longest hiatus of new listings by the department since President Richard Nixon signed the law in 1973.

Pressure has been mounting from inside and outside the government. Various congressional committees have held hearings to nudge the administration to protect the bear and complained about delays on the decision. Meanwhile, the government marched ahead on Feb. 6 to open offshore oil fields to exploratory drilling in prime polar bear habitat.

The court's deadline evolved from a lawsuit seeking a court order to force the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to comply with the legal deadline for the decision and another suit challenging the offshore leases. And then the Interior Department's inspector general opened an investigation into allegations that the decision had been detained by "inappropriate political influence."

The yearlong clock began ticking when Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne on Dec. 27, 2006, announced that there was sufficient scientific evidence of the bear's melting habitat to officially propose that the polar bear join the list of species threatened with extinction.

The proposal did not include designating critical habitat. Nor did it include a scientific analysis of the causes of climate change, which Kempthorne said was beyond the scope of scientific review under the Endangered Species Act. He directed the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to work with the public and the scientific community to broaden understanding of what is happening to the species.

Since then, the arctic sea ice last summer retreated to record levels -- a retreat that about half of the climate modelers did not think would happen until 2050.

In September, scientists at the U.S. Geological Survey released a comprehensive nine-volume analysis of the science and reached a dire forecast: Two-thirds of the bear's habitat would disappear by 2050.

Polar bears are experts at hunting ringed seals and other prey on sea ice. But they are so unsuccessful on land, they spend their summers fasting, losing more than 2 pounds a day.

This forced fast is an average of three weeks longer than it was 30 years ago, according to studies in Canada's western Hudson Bay. This gives the bears less time to hunt and build up fat reserves they need to make it until they can resume hunting with reformation of the ice in the fall.

As bears have become thinner, the reproductive rates of female bears has declined. The survival rates of cubs have fallen, too. Overall, the western Hudson Bay population has dropped by 22% since 1987.

These bears in the Hudson Bay are among the best studied populations. Scientists don't know if similar trends exist elsewhere in the Arctic, which is a vast and forbidding place to conduct field world. Surveys have shown other problems, including bears swimming and drowning in open waters left by ever-increasing gaps in the sea ice and cannibalism among hungry bears.

Overall, scientists believe the global population of 20,000 to 25,000 bears remains robust. But virtually all polar bear experts predict rapid population declines in the Arctic, which is warming faster than anywhere else in the word, and changing too rapidly for the bears to adapt and find another source of food.

A group of Canadian scientists last month declared the polar bear as a "species of concern," but stopped short of saying it was "threatened" with extinction -- a designation that could have restricted hunting by Canada's Inuit people.

Canada has about two-thirds of the world's polar bear population. Interior Secretary Kempthorne joined Canada's environmental minister last week to sign an agreement that the two governments would form an intergovernmental group with tribal government to consider "the best available scientific information and aboriginal traditional knowledge."

The Nunavut Wildlife Management Board, which operates in Canada's far north, recently proposed reducing the quota of polar bears hunted in Baffin Bay, a proposal opposed by Inuit trappers and hunters saying their traditional knowledge reveals there are too many bears in the area.

Meanwhile, in the United States, conservation groups in recent months have urged the Interior Department to give the polar bear a higher designation, one of "endangered with extinction," rather than mere "threatened."

[email protected]
    Quote Originally Posted by yermom
    your puny brain can't understand the awesomeness of God
    Olevet Posse - Dirty Lib

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner_Havok's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Polar bear added to endangered species list

So, no Polar Bear Steaks?
    If I am right, then religious fundamentalists will not go to Heaven, because there is no Heaven. If THEY are right, then they will not go to Heaven, because they are hypocrites.

-Isaac Asimov

vCash

definitely another item that will prevent drilling in ANWAR

oh, and FYI
    the polar bears would be much more affected by drilling there then the Caribou even would be.
    “If a team is to reach its potential, each player must be willing to subordinate his personal goals to the good of the team.”

Bud Wilkinson

vCash

Eh, the planet can take one more for the team. right?
    If I am right, then religious fundamentalists will not go to Heaven, because there is no Heaven. If THEY are right, then they will not go to Heaven, because they are hypocrites.

-Isaac Asimov

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

probably developed Diabetes drinking all those Cokes
    Bazinga

vCash

Al Gore looks like a shaved Polar Bear IMO.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Chuck Bao's Avatar
    vCash

The seals are probably not broken up about it.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 shaun4411's Avatar
    vCash

mmm, polar bear steak.
    I'm tired of chasing my dreams. I'm just gonna ask where they're going and catch up with them later.

Quote Originally Posted by stoops the eternal pimp View Post
    probably developed Diabetes drinking all those Cokes
    LMFAO!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

ManBearPig takes out its wrath against its genetic cousins to the north, PolarBearPig.
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.

vCash

Polar Bears are fine

see

-Isaac Asimov

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

It was really interesting to watch the polar bear segment in the Planet Earth mini-series. They talked about this quite a bit, and actually tracked a bear that probably didn't make it, due to the drowning situation mentioned above. What I found most fascinating was the fact that they commonly swim dozens of miles out to sea, out of the sight of land, to find floating sea ice and prey.

But based on what they said, the biggest problem is that the bears are really solitary and territorial, and claim huge swaths of land. They get really hacked if another bear comes into their area, so if you're one of the bears in an area most affected by melting, you're screwed. If they would just learn to play nice with each other, it wouldn't be a problem. So really, they're doing it to themselves.
    Well, crap.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hurricane'bone's Avatar
    vCash

vCash

-Isaac Asimov

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 r5TPsooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonerboomer93 View Post
    definitely another item that will prevent drilling in ANWAR

oh, and FYI
    the polar bears would be much more affected by drilling there then the Caribou even would be.
    I really don't give a **** about Polar bears since they don't drive me to work or fly me across the country. As a matter of fact, if they went extinct tomorrow I wouldn't care nor would I really notice their absence.

I call it "Darwin's Theory of Evolution - Natural Selection."

I know it's harsh but it's reality IMO.

PS, I could care a less about the Caribou either. Drill Alaska baby!
    "The true genius shudders at incompleteness and usually prefers silence to saying something which is not everything it should Be."
    -Edgar Allan Poe

SoonerFans.com Elite Member tommieharris91's Avatar
    vCash

I care a little more about caribou than polar bears, but that's because caribou are tasty!!
    "If your dream ain't bigger than you, there's a problem with your dream." -Deion Sanders

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jerk's Avatar
    vCash

Why? Their population went from 8,000 - 10,000 in 1965 to 20,000 - 40,000 today.

http://www.ypte.org.uk/docs/factshee...olar_bear.html

I think SB93 has answered the question correctly, though. All based on a theory driven by a political agenda.

eta- ok, now I have read a little more and see the difference between 'threatened' and 'endangered.' I think they got it right, then, based on their own definitions.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Fred Bastiat

Awesoministrator

vCash

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Those white demons are still fair game in Canada and Siberia, which is about what, 95% of their range. (AK is a big place, but nothing compared to Russia and Canada combined)
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

It's ANWR, people, not ANWAR.

Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, not a president of Egypt.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)