Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 ADs_Agent's Avatar
    vCash

Hippie Feminist Gay Teacher

So I'm taking an intercession class and from day one he has been trying to implement into my head that many of the problems with youth in our society come from the media. When I asked what he had to say about the 'Stop Snitchin' campaign in urban neighborhoods he couldn't really explain how the media affected that. When asked again how the media came up with the stereotypes if they were not present before media he could not answer. This is going to be a great 3 weeks
    "Wounds Heal, Chicks Dig Scars, and Glory Lasts Forever!"

vCash

Re: Hippie Feminist Gay Teacher

Give him hell!
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

blanket scapegoating the media is about as intellectually lazy as it comes.

the media exists in a social context. there is no theory of the media that is not, first, a theory of society.
    “someone's controlling the vibes!"--apache dropout

vCash

And he's Jewish, it's a pretty strong paradox, a hippie-gay-feminist-jew NTTAWWT. He goes on to say that minorities are at a disadvantage because of media stereotypes but wouldn't answer the question that Bill Cosby posed of "Don't stereotypes exist for a reason?"

He also wouldn't answer the question about how he feels about federal aid and scholarships for kids who come from disadvantaged homes.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OKLA21FAN's Avatar
    vCash

quit being a disruptive force in the classroom, and assimilate!

Give that liberal pansy hell

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner_Havok's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ADs_Agent View Post
    He also wouldn't answer the question about how he feels about federal aid and scholarships for kids who come from disadvantaged homes.
    I'd tell you how I feel, but I cut to go write a $500 check for my student loans
    If I am right, then religious fundamentalists will not go to Heaven, because there is no Heaven. If THEY are right, then they will not go to Heaven, because they are hypocrites.

-Isaac Asimov

Soonerfans.com Elitist sooneron's Avatar
    vCash

OMG, a JEW!!! Heaven forbid!!
    Oh sweet jesus. Its like watching the special olympics in high definition on here now.
    Soonerinabilene

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner_Havok's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sooneron View Post
    OMG, a JEW!!! Heaven forbid!!
    It's "Oh my lucky stars, a Jew!"
    If I am right, then religious fundamentalists will not go to Heaven, because there is no Heaven. If THEY are right, then they will not go to Heaven, because they are hypocrites.

-Isaac Asimov

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

a hippie-gay-feminist-jew
    Is sausage kosher???

I couldn't resist.
    I'm not happy until you're not happy.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonermix's Avatar
    vCash

So I'm taking an intercession class and from day one he has been trying to implement into my head that many of the problems with youth in our society come from the media. When I asked what he had to say about the 'Stop Snitchin' campaign in urban neighborhoods he couldn't really explain how the media affected that. When asked again how the media came up with the stereotypes if they were not present before media he could not answer. This is going to be a great 3 weeks
    < this space reserved for something clever >

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Did he ask you to explain why your disadvantaged childhood makes it so that you are unable to spell "intersession" correctly?

Internet rule 2: making fun of someone's spelling is only allowable when someone is trying to show off how smart they are.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

And in all honesty, it's pretty easy to see how the media-which includes entertainment, not just news media-would be somewhat culpable in the "stop snitching" culture, being that it's celebrated as a part of the gangster culture promoted by many artists.

I'm not sure what you're attempting to argue-do you claim that media has no role in perpetuating stereotypes? Or only that the stereotypes existed before they were repeated?
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SanJoaquinSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Intercession. What were you expecting, quality?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rich View Post
    And in all honesty, it's pretty easy to see how the media-which includes entertainment, not just news media-would be somewhat culpable in the "stop snitching" culture, being that it's celebrated as a part of the gangster culture promoted by many artists.

I'm not sure what you're attempting to argue-do you claim that media has no role in perpetuating stereotypes? Or only that the stereotypes existed before they were repeated?
    The professor is arguing that the stereotypes were created as a result of the media and my argument is that stereotypes existed before the media brought mass attention to them.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rich View Post
    Did he ask you to explain why your disadvantaged childhood makes it so that you are unable to spell "intersession" correctly?

Internet rule 2: making fun of someone's spelling is only allowable when someone is trying to show off how smart they are.

Internet Rule 3: Know what you're referring to first friend, I wasn't trying to show off anything. I did however stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SouthFortySooner's Avatar
    vCash

We had some Vietnamese students move into our high school back in the mid-70's. I was on the annual staff at the time. I had them pose doing martial art kicks. Their section of our annual is full of them to this day. They seemed willing enough. Should I have had them do some ballet instead? I sure hope I didn't offend their little sensibilities. They are probably somewhere now on the government draw because they were "gasp" stereotyped.
    " Ok children put your hands on your heart... and face Norman."

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SouthFortySooner's Avatar
    vCash

Oh yeah, Agent, what twisted media have you been watching/listening/reading to come up with the horrid stereotype of a hipfemgayteacher?
    " Ok children put your hands on your heart... and face Norman."

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

What I like best about gay hippie Jew... did I hit them all? Oh, AND feminist professors is that they are all about equal opportunities so long as it doesn't effect them or their family. It's like Al Franken saying that there should be affirmative action one chapter, then talk about his son applying to MIT and the like.

"I'm sorry Al Franken, but your son cannot attend MIT because we already have too many white middle-upper class male students. Oh, and you're Jewish and we have too many Jewish students already. If only he was a minority who might not have scored as high on his SAT, but has greater potential than your son does, we might have considered him."

It's actually quite funny in practice, but remember that she gives you your grade at the end of intersession, so don't get too high and mighty on her, or she'll be forced (as a feminist) to go higher and mightier.

vCash

We watched the movie Kid's last night in class, and in the scene where all the kids beat up a 20 something black man he tried to argue that it was blatant racisim when there were more latinos and black kids fighting than white kids.

He also made the reference in class to an author for our required reading for the class, Henry Giroux, saying that because Giroux said it, it must be correct. This guy is just to much. I couldn't believe the hypocrisy to preach that the entire media is biased but use the outlet of a Giroux book as fact. To me that is trying to say you're agnostic but use the Bible as a source.