Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U$C at it Again

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 kelloggOUballa's Avatar
    The University of Oklahoma: Norman, Oklahoma
    vCash

U$C at it Again

Ex-Mayo confidant says he gave USC star gifts including TV, cash

ESPN.com

Louis Johnson, who was a part of Mayo's inner circle until recently, said Mayo accepted around $30,000 in cash and gifts during the past four years from Rodney Guillory, a 43-year-old Los Angeles event promoter.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3390695
    TAKE IT BACK

'50 '55 '56 '74 '75 '85 '00

March 8, 2010:

Quote Originally Posted by TexasLidig8r View Post
    Or... at least 7 -5 and have us go to..

now...

which bowl game did you go to this past year?...

and...

was it even televised?
    Epic.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Ruuuuuufus's Avatar
    vCash

Re: U$C at it Again

Looks like this started long before he ever enrolled at USC.

vCash

He's coming for you

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Big Red Ron's Avatar
    vCash

wow

"I think after the Reggie Bush fiasco that they would have definitely taken steps to prevent this type of thing from happening again," Johnson said.

Except they apparently didn't. Which is astonishing. And damning.

(However, it would not qualify as "repeat violator" status with the NCAA. The school has not been penalized -- or even charged -- in the Bush affair, and until that happens, USC would not fall under the repeat violator umbrella. That's why it couldn't get the death penalty. But a postseason ban would seem to be both plausible and justifiable.)
    Know thy self,
    know thy enemy.
    A thousand battles,
    a thousand victories. - Sun Tzu (500 B.C.)

Emma's Daddy! SoonerStormchaser's Avatar
    vCash

I hope the NCAA leave U$C's athletic department a smoking crater after they get done with this investigation.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

HAMMER! HAMMER!

I present to you the official HAMMER of the NCAA, which shall be displayed every time a major program majorly screws up and deserves punishment. Whether or not they actually are punished... no, probably not

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 cheezyq's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    HAMMER! HAMMER!

I present to you the official HAMMER of the NCAA, which shall be displayed every time a major program majorly screws up and deserves punishment. Whether or not they actually are punished... no, probably not
    Knowing the NCAA, the "hammer" is more like a 30 year old trash compactor - slowly creaking as it crushes, and jamming frequently. Don't expect anything soon from the NCAA on this one. If they took over 1.5 years giving us our punishment (which was fairly minor), it'll be YEARS before they give USC their proper punishment.

Ready for Baseball Season tulsaoilerfan's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cheezyq View Post
    Knowing the NCAA, the "hammer" is more like a 30 year old trash compactor - slowly creaking as it crushes, and jamming frequently. Don't expect anything soon from the NCAA on this one. If they took over 1.5 years giving us our punishment (which was fairly minor), it'll be YEARS before they give USC their proper punishment.
    If ever

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tulsaoilerfan View Post
    If ever
    BINGO
    An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You would never see an "Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order" sign, just "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience."

SoonerFans.com Elite Member tommieharris91's Avatar
    vCash

Wow, I'm watching the Outside The Lines report right now, and there is A LOT of damning evidence against Overrated J. Mayo. There are all kinds of receipts, transfer stubs, and testimony from someone who was involved in this. It's a pretty nasty one-sided case. I'm sorry, but I can't believe Mayo or U$C on this one at all.

I hope OKC doesn't draft this guy either, but that's because I don't think he's all that good.
    "If your dream ain't bigger than you, there's a problem with your dream." -Deion Sanders

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cheezyq View Post
    Knowing the NCAA, the "hammer" is more like a 30 year old trash compactor -
    Sorry, trash compactors take too much time to fark... maybe after I lose this Monday morning sleepiness.

There's a story on Yahoo! blaming the NCAA's age limit, because we all should have known these kids would cheat and not follow the rules if they had to wait a little longer to go pro

Seriously!

Kids will take money they obviously didn't earn, accept gifts they obviously can't afford to pay back for, and not think they're breaking any rules doing it!

WHY IS THAT SO HARD TO BELIEVE?!?!

Poor kids! This is the game and the world they're subjected to and the life they're born into!

Pity the future NBA superstars and their future million-dollar salaries! It's causing them to get benefits even before they enter the pros!

What would Gary England do...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Taxman71's Avatar
    vCash

The problem is nobody cares a dang about the NCAA except the schools, coaches and CURRENT players. They have no jurisdiction over anyone or anything else and aren't going to get alot of help from the NBA, MLB or NFL. Besides, the more you know and follow the NCAA, the more of their hypocrisy and illogical reasoning becomes evident.

If a kid KNOWS he is done with college at the end of the season, what is the incentive (other than ethics, morals, etc.) to not accept money and other goods? I believe you should have the character to do what is right, but I can easily see an 18 year-old not having that character development....especially when you see your coach living in a $2mm house, the school oozing money all over the place from Nike, alumni, etc.

Yes, the free education, perks and stipend CRUSH what a normal student gets, but Nike, TV networks, et al aren't paying billions to universities to pimp their non-athletes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Taxman71 View Post
    Nike, TV networks, et al aren't paying billions to universities to pimp their non-athletes.
    I agree with all except for this, for the sole reason that we don't see adidas OU gear and Pepsi machines on campus for a reason. They pay millions to our schools so that they earn billions in return

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Taxman71's Avatar
    vCash

I agree with all except for this, for the sole reason that we don't see adidas OU gear and Pepsi machines on campus for a reason. They pay millions to our schools so that they earn billions in return
    Agree somewhat, but the dollars associated with Pepsi machines pale in comparison to Nike, Adidas, etc. Students are going to buy the team's brand just like all other fans, alumni, etc.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

They aren't gonna do much to USC over this. Too hard to prove a smoking gun between Mayo-SC-and the Agent.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
    They aren't gonna do much to USC over this. Too hard to prove a smoking gun between Mayo-SC-and the Agent.
    Hmmm...wouldn't that be a "failure to monitor"?
    I'm not happy until you're not happy.

vCash

What do you want, the NCAA to become a complete and total police state? Do you want them to monitor every single phone call made be every single scholarship athlete? Do you want them putting agents on stakeout in front of every single house/apartment of every single NCAA athlete? If not, how do you propose to monitor it? How do you propose that they keep tabs on ALL of them?

I'm not saying SC ain't guilty, I'm just sayin' that they're going to have a hell of a time connecting the dots back to SC.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member crawfish's Avatar
    vCash

NCAA to USC: If you keep this up, we're going to have to give you a STERN warning.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
    What do you want, the NCAA to become a complete and total police state? Do you want them to monitor every single phone call made be every single scholarship athlete? Do you want them putting agents on stakeout in front of every single house/apartment of every single NCAA athlete? If not, how do you propose to monitor it? How do you propose that they keep tabs on ALL of them?

I'm not saying SC ain't guilty, I'm just sayin' that they're going to have a hell of a time connecting the dots back to SC.
    What I want: the NCAA to enforce the rules it expects everyone to follow.

vCash

What I want: the NCAA to enforce the rules it expects everyone to follow.
    How do you propose to stop Joe Random Football Guy from taking cash from a booster? If you find out that Joe Random Football Guy has taken money from a booster, how do you plan to connect the dots back to the school he is receiving his scholarship from?

If Joe Random Football Guy, on his own time, meets up with a "booster" or "agent" who gives him money while they're sitting on the guys couch watching MNF (hopefully the Packers would be winning ) how is that the responsibility of the school he attends? The school can tell him over and over again that it's wrong, but unless they do something really stupid, like accept money that has a paper trail a mile long (cough, cough BRSI, cough, cough) how is the school culpable?