Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Bike knowing type persons who might be about

So, hey, I think I might be in the market for a road bike. I've got a mountain bike, but it's rather elderly and extremely heavy. Anyone have any suggestions for a decent road bike that's not going to end up putting a massive crater in my finances? Say, my budget is under $1,000.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner_Havok's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Bike knowing type persons who might be about

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rich View Post
    So, hey, I think I might be in the market for a road bike. I've got a mountain bike, but it's rather elderly and extremely heavy. Anyone have any suggestions for a decent road bike that's not going to end up putting a massive crater in my finances? Say, my budget is under $1,000.
    I have a Raleigh and I love it. The Shimano shifters work like a charm.
    If I am right, then religious fundamentalists will not go to Heaven, because there is no Heaven. If THEY are right, then they will not go to Heaven, because they are hypocrites.

-Isaac Asimov

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner_Havok's Avatar
    vCash

My old roommate has a Trek, and it is pretty legit too. He got one of the cheaper models (still around $800) and it has served him very well.

I think this is the one he has: link
    Again, those Shimano shifters/derailers are great
    If I am right, then religious fundamentalists will not go to Heaven, because there is no Heaven. If THEY are right, then they will not go to Heaven, because they are hypocrites.

-Isaac Asimov

vCash

If I were to buy a new one I'd check out IBEX. They cut out the middle man and sell factory direct. I was gonna buy one last summer but they were out of stock of the one I wanted at the time, so I ended up just fixing up my old GT. I did research IBEX and very much liked what I found.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member AlbqSooner's Avatar
    vCash

You are in the money lending business. Check out your customers and foreclose on a nice bike.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with ketchup.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OKLA21FAN's Avatar
    vCash

this guy might help!