SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Good Morning...The Personification of Evil Offs Himself

April 30, 1945: Adolf Hitler commits suicide

63 years ago on this day in 1945, holed up in a bunker under his headquarters in Berlin, Adolf Hitler commits suicide by swallowing a cyanide capsule and shooting himself in the head. Soon after, Germany unconditionally surrendered to the Allied forces, ending Hitler's dreams of a "1,000-year" Reich.

Last photo of Hitler shot while exhorting the boy defenders of Berlin to fight on.

In January 1945, facing a siege of Berlin by the Soviets, Hitler withdrew to his bunker to live out his final days. Located 55 feet under the chancellery, the shelter contained 18 rooms and was fully self-sufficient, with its own water and electrical supply.

Stairway to Hitler's haven

Area above the bunker site in modern Berlin

Though he was growing increasingly mad, Hitler continued to give orders and meet with such close subordinates as Hermann Goering, Heinrich Himmler and Josef Goebbels. He also married his long-time mistress Eva Braun just two days before his suicide.

The bride and goon at their wedding supper in the bunker on April 28, 1945

In his last will and testament, Hitler appointed Admiral Karl Donitz as head of state and Goebbels as chancellor. He then retired to his private quarters with Braun, where he and Braun poisoned themselves and their dogs, before Hitler then also shot himself with his service pistol.

Doenitz inherited the Fuhrer-ship per Hitler's will. He was convicted of war crimes at Nuremberg and sentenced to ten years. Dönitz died of a heart attack on 24 December 1980, in Aumühle. As the last German officer with the rank of Grand Admiral, he was honored by many former servicemen and foreign naval officers who came to pay their respects at his funeral on 6 January 1981.

Hitler and Braun's bodies were hastily cremated in the chancellery garden, as Soviet forces closed in on the building. When the Soviets reached the chancellery, they removed Hitler's ashes, continually changing their location so as to prevent Hitler devotees from creating a memorial at his final resting place.

These remains above are kept in a cardboard box in the State Archives of the Russian Federation, Moscow, where they were removed to after the Russians occupied Berlin. They are believed to be Hitler's -- charred, age 50's, and dead from a gunshot wound suicide.

Only eight days later, on May 8, 1945, the German forces issued an unconditional surrender, leaving Germany to be carved up by the four Allied powers.

Postscript

If we ever again face a holed up evile tyrant, and we know the location of his hole, we got a little sumpin-sumpin to take care of him.

"Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerJack's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Good Morning...The Personification of Evil Offs Himself

I love the "dial-a-yield" feature on the bunker buster.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TUSooner's Avatar
    Inside your monitor. Hit it with a hammer to release me and get 3 wishes.
    vCash

"Scissors beat paper." Heh x10 !

Oh by the way - Nat'l Geographic TV network just had a show about Hitler's death and how Stalin puffed up rumors that Hitler had escaped and was at large in Germany, or Sweden, or Argentina. This was even though the Reds knew the exact truth and even had bits of the burned body. They kept them secret until the dissolution of the USSR, after which Western scientists were able to confirm that the preserved teeth and dental work were Hitler's. It was a pretty good show; watch a rerun if you can.
    You tell me it's the institution. Well, you know, you'd better free your mind instead.
    (Shoo-bee doo-wah)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I got this one right.
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Okay, "scissors beat paper" is pure genius.
    I'm not happy until you're not happy.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Viking Kitten's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TUSooner View Post
    "Scissors beat paper." Heh x10 !

Oh by the way - Nat'l Geographic TV network just had a show about Hitler's death and how Stalin puffed up rumors that Hitler had escaped and was at large in Germany, or Sweden, or Argentina. This was even though the Reds knew the exact truth and even had bits of the burned body. They kept them secret until the dissolution of the USSR, after which Western scientists were able to confirm that the preserved teeth and dental work were Hitler's. It was a pretty good show; watch a rerun if you can.
    I saw that Sunday night... that was a good show. Did you see the "Nazi Scrapbook from Hell" show that aired right after? Dang. All the pictures of those kids arriving at Auschwitz really tore me up.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Viking Kitten View Post
    I saw that Sunday night... that was a good show. Did you see the "Nazi Scrapbook from Hell" show that aired right after? Dang. All the pictures of those kids arriving at Auschwitz really tore me up.
    And to think, there are people all over the world who subscribe to a particular faith group who believe their "god" calls them to finish the job begun by the one-nutted Austrian watercolorist.

Last edited by Okla-homey; 4/30/2008 at 07:25 PM.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

vCash

I didn't know they killed the dogs.
    There's a special place in hell for them.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jerk's Avatar
    vCash

Gun nut trivia: he used a Walther (I think).
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Fred Bastiat

vCash

FYI....

A guy I work with...his girlfriend's brother's Uncle knows this guy that saw Elvis and Adolf at a rally a few weeks ago...

So "Whatever" Homey.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner_Havok's Avatar
    vCash

If I am right, then religious fundamentalists will not go to Heaven, because there is no Heaven. If THEY are right, then they will not go to Heaven, because they are hypocrites.

-Isaac Asimov