Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

Homey and other gun toters

I have never owned a gun. Its pretty weird considering I grew up in the back woods of SE Ok and had an entire family of gun toters around me. It was just something I was never interested in. I did not fire my first gun til I was 28 years old and it was at a shooting range in OKC.

Lately though I have thinking that I need to get some type of small pistol/handgun to keep in the house to protect my family. Problem is that I don't have the slightest idea what to get and how much trouble it would be to get it...I would like to spend less than 200 and it should be something that my wife could learn to use as well. I m sure I could find some kind of class around here that would teach somebody how to shoot well.
    Bazinga

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerProphet's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Homey and other gun toters

Don't know what you'd find for under 200. I own a Colt Defender and a Smith and Wesson Sigma .40. The S&W is a cheaper sidearm, but not sure on the 40 cal cartridge.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SCOUT's Avatar
    vCash

If you are looking for something for the family, I would recommend a revolver. It is simple to operate and clean. The simplicity also adds to the safety of the gun.

I am in the market for a 38 revolver for the wife. I saw several at the gun show a couple of weeks ago that were in the $300 range.

I purchased myself a Kimber 1911.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

I'd recommend, based on your requirements and circumstances, any model of S&W J-frame.

Here's one in blued finish. This is also a hammerless model, which some people like because it's easier to draw from concealment since there's no hammer to snag on stuff.

It's a five shot double-action revolver. IOW, you pull the rigger, it goes bang. Five times. Period. Chambered for .38. With jacketed hollowpoints propelled by +P loads, it'll bring a man down. Those jacketed hollowpoints are marketed as "personal defense ammunition" by a variety of makers. It's not my fav round, that's 45 ACP, but it'll do fine for your purposes and the wife unit will be able to handle it.

Cruise a gun show or two (Oklahoma is the capitol of the world for gun shows -- betwen OKC and Tulsa there is one every weekend) and you can pick a used J-frame up for under $400.00.

Also, keep a nice tactical flashlight handy with the gun and practice holding the light on a target and firing. Chances are, if you need to use it in a home intrusion context, it'll be at night. By not turning on any lights, if you have a tactical flashlight, you have the edge. Decent ones are about 90 bucks. They are powered by lithium batteries and the light is so intense, shining it in someone's face in a dark room will blind the bastage for a few seconds.

Finally, they make these grips called "Crimson Trace" (google it) you can retrofit your new pistola with. Whereever the laser dot is on the target, that's where the bullet goes. Very effective, especially in low light situations.

J-frame in stainless with Crimson Trace laser grip.

Most importantly, get some training. There are professional outfits all over Oklahoma that will teach you how to be safe and to defend yourself safely. You and the wife can do it together. Otherwise, the bad guy just might take your new pistola from you and turn it into a metal suppository.
    Last edited by Okla-homey; 4/24/2008 at 09:21 AM.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

vCash

Homey pretty much covered it...

it may sound strange to pay that much for a flashlight (they still go up from there) but you'll use that way more than the gun

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

Thanks guys..I m gonna see about locating a gun show to go check some out.

I guess the money really isnt an issue I just set it low so that nobody would be telling me to go buy a 1000 dollar gun
    Bazinga

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SCOUT's Avatar
    vCash

I shot one of these this weekend.

After my 1 shot review, I wouldn't recommend it for home protection for you and your wife. It has a wee bit of kick

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SCOUT View Post
    I shot one of these this weekend.

After my 1 shot review, I wouldn't recommend it for home protection for you and your wife. It has a wee bit of kick
    What if your home is under siege by aircraft?
    Boomer Sooner

Sooner Starter
    vCash

In my opinion, the best gun for home protection would be a 12 gauge shotgun. It would be near impossible to miss a perp and little kids wouldn't be able to shoot each other in the head with it. Plus the sound of a 12 gauge pump being cocked will put the fear of God into any potential invader.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Condescending Sooner View Post
    In my opinion, the best gun for home protection would be a 12 gauge shotgun. It would be near impossible to miss a perp and little kids wouldn't be able to shoot each other in the head with it. Plus the sound of a 12 gauge pump being cocked will put the fear of God into any potential invader.
    Shotguns are great, but there are tough to clear rooms with because there's its tough to sneak around with one. Note: clearing rooms is something you prolly don't want to try unless you have kids elsewhere in the house you're worried about. Better to bail to your "alamo" point and call 911. Make sure you tell the 911 operator precisely where you are in the house and how many are in there with you.

Plus, if you do have to clear rooms, you have that barrel sticking out there the perp can grab and wrestle away...whereuopn the potential for suppository insertion again rears its ugly head. With a pistola, you can hold it in tight to your chest as you round the door frame or can even crawl around with it.

That said, great to stash a shotgun in your designated home "alamo" point (the walk-in closet in the master suite is generally a good "alamo" room), then hope the MF does come tip-toeing up to the closet door. Racking that slide is enough to scare the bejeebers out of the bad guy. If he decides he's coming in anyway, then you can introduce him to your "leetle friend."

Oh yeah, make sure you put your cellie in your pocket before bailing to the alamo spot. That way, someone can be 911-ing while the other defends.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

Sooner Starter
    vCash

I wasn't planning on clearing any rooms. I'm not a freaking SWAT team. If he shows his face, I blast him, if not, I wait until he leaves. Also, I don't remember hearing of a young child shooting another with a shotgun, but I have heard plenty about them shooting another with a handgun. I guess hand guns are more fascinating to them. You can hold a shotgun to your chest as well, and if you do, it is very hard to wrestle it away.
    Last edited by Condescending Sooner; 4/24/2008 at 04:37 PM.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member achiro's Avatar
    vCash

Buy a dog. Seriously, I own several guns, all are kept in the safe, away from the kids. I do not worry about intruders though, my dogs would eat them.

vCash

If I ever catch anyone in my house...they will beg me to call 911.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 r5TPsooner's Avatar
    vCash

I echo Homey's sentiments but if you decide to go with a semi-automatice nothing beats a Glock.
    "The true genius shudders at incompleteness and usually prefers silence to saying something which is not everything it should Be."
    -Edgar Allan Poe

vCash

here it comes....

while we're at it... 9mm or .45 ACP?

vCash

Glock, S&W, Kimber, H&K...you can't go wrong with any of those IMO.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OklahomaRed's Avatar
    vCash

S&W 357. Shoots a nice blue flame out the barrel when shot in the dark! If the bullet don't kill em, they will be deaf for a week.
    The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonermix's Avatar
    vCash

hand grenades. hard to miss with a hand grenade
    < this space reserved for something clever >

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

YWIA

OleVet Posse Instigator

Mmm... ...ribs.